Main Menu

All of my art competition entities in one place

Started by Steven Denton, 01 July, 2017, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

That's an impressive bunch of entries there, Steven.

Same goes for me SIP, regarding art comp entries that weren't. I had a chuckle with one of the fellas at a Southers Gathering who told me has thought about starting an 'Almost entered into the art comps' thread. I would have one or two contributions to that.   

Fungus

I've an awful painted Nemesis that would fit into an Art Reject thread easily  :)
Others too probably... Comments on why they suck would be a fun thread. I am serious.

Steven Denton

I've a few abandoned ideas too, normally if I get started and run out of time Ill just cover all the bits I haven't done in shadow and submit it any way.

SIP I really like your work, draw more. draw more comic strips! same goes for you Super surfer

Steven Denton

Quote from: Fungus on 07 July, 2017, 02:57:55 PM
I've an awful painted Nemesis that would fit into an Art Reject thread easily  :)
Others too probably... Comments on why they suck would be a fun thread. I am serious.

Your John Wagner drawing was particularly good. I think you would find more praise then comments on why your drawings suck

Fungus

Ah cheers. I think the Art Comp is trickier than general doodling. Takes thought, time, and I've not been involved for ages as a result. I'm interested in people's scribbles and half-formed ideas, etc. There's a crossover with the Doodle thread, of course.

sheridan

Some great stuff there - I'd been meaning to have a look at this thread for a while, but knew it'd punish my internet connection to do so (I was right, it did!)  Glad it made it through the grand photobucket shut-down!  Without knowing the context of the art competition themes there's some confusing images there, but still great pics!

Andy Lambert

Absolutely stunning collection of artwork, a lot of it I've never seen before so it's a treat to see them for the first time! Brilliant stuff!

SIP

Quote from: Steven Denton on 07 July, 2017, 03:09:14 PM
I've a few abandoned ideas too, normally if I get started and run out of time Ill just cover all the bits I haven't done in shadow and submit it any way.

SIP I really like your work, draw more. draw more comic strips! same goes for you Super surfer

Hey Steven, only just read you comment - thank you sir, very much appreciated.

Just seem to have lost my mojo with it, but hoping to get back on the horse at some point!

Steven Denton

I had a bit of a crisis of direction the last 4 or 5 years with strip art. Most of my focus had been on trying to get my work into 2000ad but I started to realise that even though I was continuing to improve as an artist the kind of work I do was becoming less and less popular/fashionable. I have spent a long time thinking about exactly the kind of things I want to draw and stories I want to tell for myself rather than in a effort to be commercially viable. 

TLDR: Work out what you want to draw for you and then draw it!   

SIP

Very good advice.

I got to a point with strip work that I was so desperate to get everything as perfect as I could that it was taking me forever to reference and draw panels and it became a chore instead of a pleasure. I need to get back to just drawing and NOT posting it online or pursuing getting it published.

It's a mid-year resolution! 😊

Fungus

Spot-on advice. I doodle a bit for fun and a key aim is try different things and styles. If you're finding it a chore, stop doing it.

['Art chores'. I hate that expression/cliche!]

Bolt-01

most of my work these days is in my little spot illos that I give away to customers- I find my strip work horrifying after even the briefest interlude.

Steven Denton

I had real trouble producing strip work for a long time. the fiends of the eastern front strip for Zarjaz took so long because I simply couldn't get my drawing MOJO in gear. I never had a run of pages where things felt like I was in a rhythm. Breaking out of a rut is surprisingly hard.

Bolt-01

Oh, yeah- definitely.

Moving to the editorial & production side of things has completely ruined me as a strip artist. Back when I was just making strips for myself I had a sufficient page rate that I was able to actually appreciate the work I did but I spend so much time these days working with artists of standards I could only dream of that it just completely exposes my limitations.

(Good grief, what a whiny self centred post- I love comics, love drawing them, lettering them and helping younger, better creators than I to find somewhere to actually learn the craft.)

Steven Denton

Bolt- have you tried drawing every frame as a spot illustration and then stitching it together as a page?