Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

"Bubbly" is a fine quality in most areas of life. I think swimming might be one of the few scientifically provable exceptions.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

TordelBack

Heh!  The report card was in relation to the schoolin', not the swimmin',  But you knew that, you scamp. Frankly I'm just pleasantly surprised he hasn't been transferred to a borstal.  Yet.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Spikes

My recent outbreak of Shingles, that thankfully never really came to owt too bad, has cleared up nicely.

Felt washed out the past week or so, but have really felt back to normal the past couple of days.

And getting back to normal is always worth a  :thumbsup:

Link Prime

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 July, 2013, 04:31:44 PM
And getting back to normal is always worth a  :thumbsup:

Is that a veiled hint that you're after Ebay seller 'max.normal's newly listed Brendan McCarthy page?  ;)

PS- glad to hear you're feelin better JJ.

Spikes

Cheers Link!

And a lovely looking DPS, thats been listed, bought and then sold on a few times now.
Original, especially vintage, art is always tempting, but im holding true to not really buying at the minute, or only buying cheaply...

(Snagged a vintage 80's Brendan McCarthy sketch recently - 69p!) 

Link Prime

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 July, 2013, 05:51:35 PM

Snagged a vintage 80's Brendan McCarthy sketch recently - 69p!

Now that's a bargain!

shaolin_monkey

Finally got rid of the post-con junk food constipation.  Hurrah for high-fibre salads!  Feeling much better.

radiator

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 12 July, 2013, 08:23:07 AM
Finally got rid of the post-con junk food constipation.  Hurrah for high-fibre salads!  Feeling much better.

Agree with Radiator on this one !!........
Bowel movements are really only of interest to those doing the 'moving'....Too much information...but thanks for sharing..... :lol:
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

shaolin_monkey

Sorry!  :D

Though I am pleased to report I weigh several pounds less too.

Double whammy!  :lol:

Vestibule

Dandontdare

The company I work for has arranged for a Mr Whippy van today with a free 99 for everyone!

JamesC

Dandontdare

Quote from: JamesC on 15 July, 2013, 01:24:21 PM
Why are they called a 99?

from Wiki:

"The origins of the name are uncertain. One claim is that the '99' was coined in Portobello, Scotland, in 1922, by the Arcari family, Rudi Arcari's father Stephen came up with the idea not long after opening the shop in 1922. He would break a large 'Flake" in half and stick it in an ice cream. A Cadbury's rep took this idea to his company. The rep asked Arcari what he called it, and he gave it the name 99 simply because the shop was sited at 99 Portobello High Street. The idea spread locally, then further afield.[1][2]
Another possibility, generally discounted,[1] is that it was named by Italian ice-cream sellers (many of whom hailed from mountainous areas in the Veneto, Trentino, Bellunese and Friuli) in honour of the final wave of conscripts from the First World War, born in 1899 and referred to as "i Ragazzi del 99" - the Boys of '99. They were held in such high esteem that some streets in Italy were named in honour of them. The chocolate flake may have reminded them of the Alpine Regiment's hat, with a long dark feather cocked at an angle.
The Cadbury's website says that the reason behind the Flake being called a 99 has been "lost in the mists of time" although it also repeats an article from an old Cadbury works paper, which states the name came from the guard of the Italian king which consisted of 99 men and "subsequently anything really special or first class was known as 99."[5]

It was delicious by the way.