Main Menu

Nintendo 3DS - anyone got one?

Started by shaolin_monkey, 13 May, 2012, 11:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, the pixellation that occurs on the one with the large screen is partly what has put me off getting it.  On the smaller screen it's there, but not as noticeable.

I also agree re prices - after being spoilt by games like Galaxy On Fire 2 for a ha'penny bit on iOS, the eShop stuff was a bit of an eye-opener.  I check ourt reviews for anything on there before I buy, that's for sure. 

The £30 price point stuff though, I think they're full retail games, aren't they?  Download alternatives to off the shelf products?  Don't bother - find the title on shopto.net, where it'll probably be cheaper, and you get a nice tradeable hardcopy.

What games have you got so far?  I found Super Mario Land 3D a bit dull, but then it's not my kind of games.  Not enough explosions.  Or cute talking animals.  ;)

I'm surprised you found such issue with the 3D.  I don't struggle keeping it in focus at all, but then I am usually sat very still when playing it.  Street Fighter 2 was the only one I had problems with - the constant button mashing sent the 3D effect everywhere!

Let us know what else you bought/tried!
and buy animal crossing

radiator

QuoteThe £30 price point stuff though, I think they're full retail games, aren't they?  Download alternatives to off the shelf products?  Don't bother - find the title on shopto.net, where it'll probably be cheaper, and you get a nice tradeable hardcopy.

Should clarify, I was talking about retail boxed games. That model seems a little out of date for mobile games.

I don't understand how Nintendo always seem able to keep their first-party titles near the rrp, even years after release. Do they restrict stock or something?

QuoteI'm surprised you found such issue with the 3D.  I don't struggle keeping it in focus at all, but then I am usually sat very still when playing it.  Street Fighter 2 was the only one I had problems with - the constant button mashing sent the 3D effect everywhere!

I frequently find it a problem on SM3DL - especially during fraught platforming moments.

Doubt I'll be buying many games for the foreseeable, as I bought it mainly for holidays and travel - I don't have to commute any more so it won't get too much day to day use.

Having said that, I just picked up a copy of the DS game Aliens: Infestation - a game I wanted but never got round to playing when I was playing my original DS a lot. It looks like a Metroidvania take on the old Alien 3 SNES game - if it's half as good as that sounds I'll love it!

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, it is supposed to be fun. I picked that up for less than a fiver a few months ago, but haven't got round to playing it yet. It's added to the 'must play before I buy any more bloody games' pile.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 15 July, 2013, 05:38:42 PM
It's added to the 'must play before I buy any more bloody games' pile.

You're only kiddin yerself there Shaolin...

shaolin_monkey

Ha! Ain't that the ferkn truth!!

Thankfully, Animal Crossing is still giving me my gaming fix, plus I have Monster Hunter in standby for some grinding creature mashing fun.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: radiator on 15 July, 2013, 03:36:02 PM
Having said that, I just picked up a copy of the DS game Aliens: Infestation - a game I wanted but never got round to playing when I was playing my original DS a lot. It looks like a Metroidvania take on the old Alien 3 SNES game - if it's half as good as that sounds I'll love it!

its exactly that! half as good as it sounds but still very enjoyable. They get so much right, and it feels very authentic to aliens, but lots of potentially great ideas never really get explored/used enough and a its a bit on the short side, especially for a metroid-style game. Not trying to put you off though, i still enjoyed it and much preferred it to Alien 3 (though i had that on my game gear not snes!).

Judo

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 March, 2013, 07:15:13 PM
I've got one and think it is the biz. Mind you, it is pretty much just a pokemon machine for me.
This. This. This.  looking forward to X and Y and welcome anyone who plays to a game on pokemon showdown x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

shaolin_monkey

Has anyone been playing Monster Hunter Ultimate on 3DS?  It's a blast!  I'm only on the second tier of quests, but there's nothing quite like going on a monster hunt!

I love the way you can move your character between the 3DS and the Wii U as well.  It means I can grind on the move, and then take down the massive carnivores on the big screen.  Great fun!

Tiplodocus

I did the Street Pass Plaza upgrade recently and picked up the four new games (four for the price of 3).

Squad - is a fun enough space shooter game and I really like the mechanic of the colour of the Mii determining the type of weapon attached to your craft.

Garden - extremely dense collect and grow 'em up. I'm still getting tutorials there is so much content. But the big problem is it's just not fun.

Battle - Paper/Scissors/Rock/Ninja mechanic is pretty good fun. And unusually agressive wolrd conquering for a Nintendo title.  I'm enjoying it though (my army is about 30000 strong now) despite the fact that the randomness of the outcome can biff any strategic thoughts you had.

Mansion - really fun haunted house exploration with bursts of real time shooting and lots of "levelling up" to be done. Probably the pick of the bunch.

Overall caveat - if I get a couple of street passes in a day (I got 9 at Glasgow Comic Con and 10 at Eden project), it takes me ages to play through the Street pass games. This actually gets a little bit annoying at times - I have to actually prioritise what I want to play.

Oh and I'm glad they finally fixed the bug where you got stuck at "We've met 99 times" for another Mii. Me and Tiny Tips are finally in 3 figures.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

I also have those downloads, and yeah, the garden one is dull as ditchwater. I find the shooting one irksome just 'cos I've never been good at those R-Type style games. I agree the haunted house one is fun!

I also have the same issue re Streetpass hits, but get 4 every time I see the kids, plus a couple in work. I bolster it by spending play coins on previously met folk. I always keep some coins back for the fortune cookies on Animal Crossing though.

Has anyone played through all the Augmented Reality stuff? I love it, and wish there were more games. It works best in a well lit room, I find.

WhizzBang

My/our house's 3DS friend code is 5129-0297-3251 but we have absolutely no friends registered on it. Would anyone like to swap friend codes?
If so, add the above code and send me your code.
Animal Crossing is the main game played on our 3DS.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: WhizzBang on 07 August, 2013, 08:08:11 PM
My/our house's 3DS friend code is 5129-0297-3251 but we have absolutely no friends registered on it. Would anyone like to swap friend codes?
If so, add the above code and send me your code.
Animal Crossing is the main game played on our 3DS.

I will add you shortly.  Here's my code:

1977-0141-7262

Guys, post your codes, and get Letterbox or whatever that 3D mailing pictures free app is called, then I can mail you some choice 3D pics! ;)

Apestrife

Anyone who played this?

http://youtu.be/ZMGYQ40DzsU

Think it looks great. But I really need to focus on playing Fire emblem... Not to mention a couple of upcomming WiiU-games...

radiator

What's Fire Emblem like?

I know it's a sort of turn-based strategy type deal, but what other game(s) would you compare it to? Advance Wars? (I'm shit at Advance Wars).

WoD

Quote from: Apestrife on 20 August, 2013, 08:58:00 AM
Anyone who played this?

http://youtu.be/ZMGYQ40DzsU

Think it looks great. But I really need to focus on playing Fire emblem... Not to mention a couple of upcomming WiiU-games...

These guys liked it:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/14/steamworld-dig-review-a-fistful-of-dirt-3922734/

Too busy at minute to try it yet.