Main Menu

Original artwork - authenticity

Started by macwatson, 29 September, 2006, 12:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macwatson

Hi there

I'm back.....I haven't been in jail just forgot that I asked this question. Nice to see so many replies to my original query.
It's been a busy few years, with a loft conversion from hell and other various distractions (marriage was another) so I can now reply to some of your posts. I'm currently working away and do not have the artwork to hand but will try and explain best I can what the artwork is and what issues they are from. The Fraser Irving piece is a 2000 ad front cover from the "my name is death" storyline. It appears to be done in felt tip pen and features, if I remember correctly a swirl of judge death heads cenering in on a screaming womans head. I also have a scanned colour copy and the original prog it appeared in.
The Ezquerra piece is a bklack & white double (centre)spread from the Apocalypse war - there has been some white out and retouching on the page and the "Apocalypse war" wording has been moved from one part of the page to another. I think it was either episode 12 or 14 ( Prog 268??) and features the first use of the STUB gun. Any info on these would be much appreciated.

Can any of you advise me on how to get my artwork scanned for uploading here - again much appreciated

regards

Mac w
I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain...time to die

TordelBack

Man, four years is some loft conversion!  Should have gone to Peter Wolf, I hear he loves 'em.   ;)

macwatson

You don't wanna know  ::), I can't even sue the bar steward  :-X Builder nearly demolished my house, architect died, job cost me double. Luckily I had my comics in storage....lol
I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain...time to die

TordelBack

Quote from: macwatson on 01 July, 2010, 10:07:14 PM
Builder nearly demolished my house, architect died, job cost me double.

Ah, so you did use Peter!

Joking!  Joking!  Aaargh, stop hitting me with that antique beer glass Peter...

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 July, 2010, 10:24:09 PM
Quote from: macwatson on 01 July, 2010, 10:07:14 PM
Builder nearly demolished my house, architect died, job cost me double.

Ah, so you did use Peter!

Joking!  Joking!  Aaargh, stop hitting me with that antique beer glass Peter...

I was using one of the cheap glasses for that !

As for Loft conversions they are a lot of work and to a certain extent a pain in the arse as they are more involved than you realise if you do it by the book and follow all the building regulations which you absolutely should.I have only done 2 but i dont think i want to do anymore as moving steel beams and 100 sheets of 8ft by 3ft plasterboard into a loft isnt much fun.If i was asked to do another and depending on its size and what is actually in it then there wouldnt be very much change out of 50,000.

The worst thing i did was my foot going through the ceiling below in two places.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Wils

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 02 July, 2010, 02:53:39 PMThe worst thing i did was my foot going through the ceiling below in two places.

Brighton & Hove  ;)

Emperor

Quote from: macwatson on 01 July, 2010, 09:20:02 PMCan any of you advise me on how to get my artwork scanned for uploading here - again much appreciated

Big pieces are going to be tricky to do - best bet for a quick and dirty solution is to photograph them.

Frazer Irving is on Twitter and Mr E is.. around (he has been in the chat hasn't he? I missed that though) so it'd be easy enough to get them to cast their eye over it. They could at least say if they look genuine, you'd need to examine the actual art to tell if it is actually drawn on and whiteout and original lettering would suggest it isn't some fancy fake (based on a reproduction of the original - which isn't that common).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

macwatson

I was thinking of going to a professional print shop - don't know what the prices would be though. Artwork certainly looks genuine - The ezquerra artwork has lettering pasted - some of it has been moved ( the Apocalypse war Pt 14 heading). I don't know if this was done for re- scanning for a graphic novel collection or not. The irving piece is felt tip on board no lettering on this as it was front cover art

Emperor

Quote from: macwatson on 03 July, 2010, 07:24:00 PM
I was thinking of going to a professional print shop - don't know what the prices would be though. Artwork certainly looks genuine - The ezquerra artwork has lettering pasted - some of it has been moved ( the Apocalypse war Pt 14 heading). I don't know if this was done for re- scanning for a graphic novel collection or not. The irving piece is felt tip on board no lettering on this as it was front cover art

That all sounds difficult to fake* (you'd need to scan from a high quality original, as the published art would be lettered up, and then essentially redraw it then, in the first example, reletter it) and if you've compared them to the comics I think it'd be safe to say the are original. So it doesn't seem worth getting them properly scanned in just for identification purposes although it might be worth it for showing off what lovely pieces of art you have ;)

* I also don't know of any examples of this type of thing from 2000 AD being forged, the main problem reported is the one from Brain Bolland about original art being sold after it "went missing."
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

macwatson

Okay

Where would be the best place online, to show this artwork...does it cost anything to upload or use the site?

Emperor

Quote from: macwatson on 03 July, 2010, 09:16:12 PM
Okay

Where would be the best place online, to show this artwork...does it cost anything to upload or use the site?

If you just want to show us you art then any image host will do (like Photobucket or the quick and simple tinyPic). If you want to show off the this seems a popular venue:

www.comicartfans.com

Where you can, for example, find our own Pete Wells lording it up with all the fancy drawings he has ;) :

www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=7767