Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 October, 2020, 07:53:33 PM
I've been painting a mural of the Seven Dwarfs and have a question for the, er, Hivemind, as all the cool kids round here say. Now I know this is a generalisation, and probably both sizeist and racist, but...

Why do dwarves (or dwarfs), gnomes, goblins, elves etc wear those long, floppy, tapered hats? Not the Tolkien folk, but the ones in pretty much every other depiction.  Where did this trope even come from? Even our Ukko wears one, and in fact looks odd without it.

It's a genuine question, by the way, and Google isn't coming up with the goods. My guess is that it was some kind of hat worn by medieval peasants or other labourers, and that the depictions of the little folk derive from this time when even full-sized people wore them.  In fact I may well have spotted some tradesman types in Breughel the Younger paintings wearing them, but again Google is coming up short.

Like London polis their head go right to the top of the hats.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

As much as I hate to admit it, the fact that Europe banned the term "soya milk" is actually an argument in favor of Brexit. Who wants to be in the Banning Helpful Language gang? This is Britain! (Whoo, watch out - it's pretty easy to just slip into Full Farage if you're not careful.)

---

If we all become vegetarians (or face extinction!), won't it be weird in about a hundred years when we're eating things that are made of vegetable but shaped and flavored to taste like animal?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 October, 2020, 04:00:38 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, the fact that Europe banned the term "soya milk" is actually an argument in favor of Brexit.

TBH even as a Remainer I have to admit to a high degree of ambivalence towards the EU.  Back in the 90's when the Eastern Bloc Accession States were being brought into the fold Freedom of Movement was poorly judged.  Too many communities suffered from the decision of companies to recruit from these countries rather than making wages competitive. (yes I know, far more complex than this).

Now though my far bigger concern is about what the rampant psychopaths in Westminster are doing to our country.  Portrait of a Mutant is looking dangerously prescient.

Funt Solo

Yay! It's my 7350th post!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Congrats to you, Funt. I'm still winning, though.

Though 7793 posts isn't that impressive when I realise I've been here for almost 20 years  :o :o

I had a few posts before that too though, as my former board self Jayzus B. Christ (with spaces).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 October, 2020, 11:04:54 PM

Yay! It's my 7350th post!

er, no .... that was your 7351st post.

Keep this up and you'll get a job in Tesco's accounting, NHS (sorry, no Serco) Trip and Traipse, or the Treasury ...

Funt Solo

So, if it says "Posts: 1", you're saying that actually indicates two posts? Me not think so.

(And this is my 7351st post. Prime, mofo!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

3 of them were actually entertaining. After a fashion.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 October, 2020, 03:26:14 PM
So, if it says "Posts: 1", you're saying that actually indicates two posts? Me not think so.

(And this is my 7351st post. Prime, mofo!)

Well, it says 7354 so maybe it is a literacy problem?

I dunno, next thing I know ye'll be telling us January is the 2nd month of the year ...

Keep this up and we'll start calling you Dido!

M.I.K.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 25 October, 2020, 07:08:20 PM
Well, it says 7354 so maybe it is a literacy problem?

I'm seeing it as "7353", (he's posted twice elsewhere in the meantime), so maybe you're just in a parallel universe or something.

Funt Solo

I don't know what to think anymore, Tjm85.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Maybe it's like birthdays, your first post is your noughth post?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]