Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Haha, that's definitely fair. It's easy to forget what it's like a kid without a lot of options! I'm trying to interact with the Annuals and Specials a bit more, we do a couple quizzes in the '79 Sci Fi Special, and another in the Annual. My goal is to positive when possible!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

I just want to add another voice of appreciation - this really is very excellent stuff and hilarious with it. I listened to the most recent 2 today and was struggling to not laugh out loud amongst my very packed in fellow train passengers. Thanks SpaceSpinner2000! Looking forward to the next one.

Geoff

Just listened to the first 5mins of the linked episode...it's playing as I type - it's great guys, keep it up!

SpaceSpinner2000

I'm not sure if I should start a new official thread for the show or not, but we have a new episode out today!

In our thrilling thirty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 120-123 of 2000 AD, covering July of 1979. Join us as we get underway with ABC Warriors and Disaster 1990 and we near the finale of Dan Dare

Find the episode here:
Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 01 June, 2017, 08:11:46 PM
I'm not sure if I should start a new official thread for the show or not, but we have a new episode out today!

In our thrilling thirty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 120-123 of 2000 AD, covering July of 1979. Join us as we get underway with ABC Warriors and Disaster 1990 and we near the finale of Dan Dare

Find the episode here:
Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Deadlock's first appearance!  Though I've not listened to the show yet as I need to catch up first!

terryworld

thoroughly enjoying these too, as has been said, the enthusiasm for the early progs is infectious. well done fellas, keep 'em going.

WhizzBang

I have become somewhat addicted to these now and am spending every spare minute I have catching up on them (up to 21 now). I have never actually read any of these progs myself, I only know some of the strips through reprints (Dredd and Flesh) but I like the idea of reading them before each podcast. The synopses of some of these early forgotten strips can be hilarious - Ant Wars in particular sounds ridiculous.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 04 June, 2017, 07:00:03 PM
I have become somewhat addicted to these now and am spending every spare minute I have catching up on them (up to 21 now). I have never actually read any of these progs myself, I only know some of the strips through reprints (Dredd and Flesh) but I like the idea of reading them before each podcast. The synopses of some of these early forgotten strips can be hilarious - Ant Wars in particular sounds ridiculous.

SpaceSpinner2000

Sorry, I wrote a whole dialog making fun of ant wars but it got eaten by the forum (and possibly giant ants!)

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling thirty-seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 124-127 of 2000 AD, covering August of 1979. Join us as the ABC Warriors recruit more team members, a mutant army invades Mega-City 1 and both Project Overkill and 2000 AD veteran Dan Dare complete their journeys. Also 2000 AD merges with Tornado magazine, bringing with it new thrills Blackhawk, The Mind of Wolfie Smith, and Captain Klep!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Dandontdare

Another fun episode (hope you're feeling better btw). You missed one of the greatest puns in Dredd during the animal experiments story (or was that last ep?) - Caption:"Dredd posted a heavy guard on the door" - image: really fat judge guarding door.

Have you read any Tornado? It wasn't great - I love the way they had to sci-fi up stories like Blackhawk which began a normal historical adventures. Whatever plaudits Dave Gibbons gets for Watchmen, he'll always be BigE to me  :lol:

You'll see lots of letters over the coming years asking when Dan Dare is coming back but they just kind of abandoned it mid story. Not a great loss, but when they did the same to Luke Kirby and Halo Jones ... grrrr!

And what is Fox's fascination with the Green Cross Code? I bet the TV ads are on YouTube - check them out to see what Darth Vader should have sounded like - his accent FYI is West Country (SW England) generally caricatured as "dumb country yokel" I guess the US equivalent would be a Deliverence style redneck

Steve Green

Loving it - I remember being pissed off with the Tornado merger at the time - especially Klep, even though it was a one pager.

Wolfie Smith didn't really seem to fit, although I guess it's not much different to something like MACH 0...

At least Blackhawk had Belardinelli and weirdness.

And yeah, ABC Warriors is phenomenal.

I did laugh at the pic of the fish in Disaster 1990...

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: DandontdareAnd what is Fox's fascination with the Green Cross Code? I bet the TV ads are on YouTube - check them out to see what Darth Vader should have sounded like - his accent FYI is West Country (SW England) generally caricatured as "dumb country yokel" I guess the US equivalent would be a Deliverence style redneck

I have no idea why Fox hates the Green Cross Code so much! It's a children's comic at this point and it seems reasonable to have a thing reminding them to look both ways before crossing the street, imo. We have things teaching kids that here as well, but for some reason it's a real bee in Fox's bonnet!

I'm extremely bummed to have missed the "heavy guard" line, I think it's clear at this point that puns like that are what give me life energy! :D I haven't read any or Tornado or that much Starlord, it seems very interesting but it's hard to find the time!

Quote from: Steve GreenLoving it - I remember being pissed off with the Tornado merger at the time - especially Klep, even though it was a one pager.

Wolfie Smith didn't really seem to fit, although I guess it's not much different to something like MACH 0...

I agree about Wolfie Smith, maybe it's just the scale of the threats he encounters and the level of power needed to deal with them? There's not really a ton of crazy action scenes, like John Probe beating guys up with a motor cycle or the hobo army coming to free Mach Zero. It's more just minor threats easily handled by ESP, if that makes sense.

Also, I don't know what to do with these one-pagers you guys. Sooner or Later is really good, but it seems like it's the ONLY good one, unless Dash Decent turns out OK, but I seem to have scrubbed it from my memory, which isn't a good sign!

Steve Green

I guess they were handy filler if they couldn't fill ad space - being single pages they were a bit crap for a shock reveal. Seemed more like a throwback to younger comics for the most part.

I haven't read Wolfie Smith in decades, but I think yeah it doesn't have the violence of MACH 1 or the more interesting aspects like the Vagrant Army of MACH Zero.

More importantly it's taking up a slot which Strontium Dog could be sitting in...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 June, 2017, 05:53:07 PM
And what is Fox's fascination with the Green Cross Code? I bet the TV ads are on YouTube - check them out to see what Darth Vader should have sounded like
Damn, just looked at one of those and they dubbed him with a posh upper class voice! (There are clips of the Star Wars original rushes that are hilarious though)