Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Him, I expected, her, not so much, Goaty even less so! (But welcome back.)

TordelBack

Welcome back, Goaty!

So [spoiler]Seven[/spoiler] was a hell of a surprise, panel revelations that [spoiler]Riker & Deanna[/spoiler] are back less so, but the weirdest one of all is that [spoiler]Hugh[/spoiler] makes an appearance.  Did anyone like [spoiler]Hugh[/spoiler]?  S

From this it looks like this bay well be a tale of two diasporas, the [spoiler]Borg[/spoiler] and the [spoiler]Romulans[/spoiler]. You can see how Stewart might have found that an interesting story.

Also a full-on TNG nostalgia fest, as it should be.

Just sort that poor dog out.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 July, 2019, 11:02:16 AMDid anyone like [spoiler]Hugh[/spoiler]?

In his initial appearance, sure, but his return was totally squandered: he's back and he's a bit cross! Wait, he got over it. It'd be good to give the character a more memorable send-off after all these years.

But where's [spoiler]Worf[/spoiler]? Probably not appearing since he'd want more than a cameo.

TordelBack

That's my feeling too. Hopefully this does well enough that Star Trek: Worf is next, drawing on the DS9 crew. Be good to see Geordi given something meaty to do too. Beverley I can probably live without, she complicates things, unless she's required for a Wesley storyline.

And if [spoiler]Hugh[/spoiler] can come back (there weren't many Trek two-parters more disappointing than '[spoiler]Descent[/spoiler]'), fingers are firmly crossed that Wesley can too.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

The other pleasant feature is the Amazon Prime tagline rather than the CBS Closed Access one.  Fighting chance of actually seeing it at some point.

Tiplodocus

Blimey! I'm not sharp enough on my TNG to pick [spoiler]Hugh[/spoiler] out of that trailer though I may have only seen those episodes once twenty+ years ago.

But feck it, if [spoiler]he[/spoiler] can be brought back, can we hope for the Brig O' Doon ghost that boffed Beverley to make a return?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

AFAIK 'ol [spoiler]Three of Five[/spoiler] isn't actually in the trailer, but his actor Jonathan DelArco (?) spilled the beans. 

So how are they doing [spoiler]Data[/spoiler]?  Understandably [spoiler]Brent Spiner[/spoiler] hasn't looked like that for a while now, is it an incredibly good fully CGI model, de-ageing or a hell of a makeup job?  Or are they going the way I always wished they would, and have [spoiler]Data discover a Soong-created ageing subroutine and decide to embrace human mortality[/spoiler], for a while at least?

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 July, 2019, 06:42:52 PM
But a regular talking dog (or just regular dog) would be fine too, as long as it's called No. 1 (which it will be).

Good call!

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 July, 2019, 11:01:09 PM
So how are they doing [spoiler]Data[/spoiler]?  Understandably [spoiler]Brent Spiner[/spoiler] hasn't looked like that for a while now, is it an incredibly good fully CGI model, de-ageing or a hell of a makeup job?  Or are they going the way I always wished they would, and have [spoiler]Data discover a Soong-created ageing subroutine and decide to embrace human mortality[/spoiler], for a while at least?

I wondered if it was CGI de-ageing. I wonder if he'll even be a [spoiler]physical android at all (I know we saw the body parts - B4's?) or just some kind of holodeck projection based on his neural net. Mind you, since the ageing subroutine was already introduced in 'Inheritance' (as part of Data's 'mum' ) I'm sure Data could have just taken a copy of it then or used it as inspiration - it'd be a lot simpler. [/spoiler]

TordelBack

Goddamn 'Inheritance'.  I somehow missed that one at the time, and never knew I had.  Some years later my then-future-wife referenced Data's Mum in conversation and I launched into one of my patented mansplain symposia noting the existence of Data's father, four brothers, daughter, quasi-adopted son, surrogate grandfather and cat, but definitely not a mother. The argument continued until we got home and the Trek Encyclopedia was taken down from the shelf (this was in the Before Times, Hawkmumbler), and I was made to read aloud an entry entitled "Soong, Juliana".

A quarter-century later any claim of authority I make in an argument is still met with "Well, we'll just see what Data's mother thinks about that".

More to the point, although I have seen 'Inheritance' several times since that fateful day, I just can't remember it the way I do the other 177.

Tiplodocus

Tiplodocus

Oh and I can't remember it either but if Data's mother isn't Brent Spiner in drag, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Greg M.

Tiplodocus

Isn't that Klinger? But I knew what you meant.