Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I reckon you guys are making a brave attempt at understanding Sooner or Later but it's very much of it's time - no coherent story but lots of mid 80s Brit-cool tropes - it was mandatory back then to sprinkle every vaguely satirical thing with references to unemployment and job centres - the strip feels incredibly dated now, but the art's great, so that's okay.

However, I do have a bone to pick with Conrad - several weeks ago I was promised a shout out for forewarning him of the very British "Pedigree chum" gag in Strontium Dog and I've eagerly awaited that episode - but you forgot! Boooooo! (Don't worry though, we're still chums  :D)

SpaceSpinner2000

Oh nooo! I will rectify this ASAP!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

nah. it's okay, the moment's passed, would be a weird call-back weeks later.  :D

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 April, 2019, 07:55:13 AM
nah. it's okay, the moment's passed, would be a weird call-back weeks later.  :D

If there's something a bunch of middle age (or fast approaching, for those in denial) people do, then it's weird call-backs!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed ninth episode Conrad continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with issues 25-27 of Action! This time Dredger deals with American politics, Hookjaw is on TV, Taggart deals with Rico, and Hellman is fighting on the Eastern Front...watch out for vampires!

This episode Conrad is joined by Peter Adamson of the Beyond the Soda and Where Eagles Dare podcast! Where Eagles Dare recaps the Eagle comic from the 1980s! If you like our show you'll love Where Eagles Dare!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad and Peter for another fascinating and entertaining show.

The subject of sports comics came up again here. The way I see it is that the sport strips that have been covered in SS2000 over the years were all very much on the fringe of the genre.

Roy Of The Rovers was the undisputed king of sports strips and was mostly written by Tom Fully. I am not suggesting you should read it but it was great at the time. There were long story arcs across a football season and plenty of lows and disappointments as well as highs and victories.

Roy Of The Rovers, Dan Dare and Judge Dredd are probably the biggest names in British juvenile comics.

I think Tiger comic was the biggest sporting title around.

WhizzBang

I have just I read prog 490 yesterday (should be in the next SS2000) and was taken aback to see an advertisement for my favourite band The Fall. The LP is advertised as being called 'Domesday Pay-Off' but on the actual release this name has 'Bend Sinister' pasted over the top of it and so the LP is actually known by this name instead.

I can't recall any other bands actually paying for advertisement space before in the prog. I suppose 12 year old me must have seen this and briefly and thought nothing of it as I was unaware of the band until a few years later.

SpaceSpinner2000

There have been a few in the past, I definitely remember a big Man O War ad a while ago. I think a lot of times they've shown up when one of the art droids did the album cover. I'm really looking forward to a music ad from the 90s that is SHOCKINGLY 90s, like a list of bands over an image of a Doc Marten boot!

Leigh S

It was not for nothing that Orwell wrote in 1984:

"If you want a vision of the future (about 6 years from now), imagine a Doc Marten boot stamping on a human face - forever."

(Love my Docs!)

I, Cosh

Quote from: WhizzBang on 21 April, 2019, 08:02:26 PM
I can't recall any other bands actually paying for advertisement space before in the prog.
Alien Sex Fiend and Mega City Four were frequent advertisers.
We never really die.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and fifty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 487-490 of 2000AD, covering September and October of 1986. This episode Judge Dredd deals with crime in Atlantis, The Wheeldebeasts attack in Metalzoic, Nemesis meets the Monads, and Strontium Dog's path of RAGE reaches its conclusion!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad - great as always. It really is a shame Ace Trucking has come to this since it could have ended in such a great way with the trip into the sun.

Dredd has been overshadowed by Rage recently but there has actually been a very great run of strips going on for quite a while.

In this episode you were discussing Max Bubba's mutation being a film of skin covering his face. You may not know that the inspiration for this was a photo of someone who had just blown up a huge bubble gum bubble and had it explode over their face. John Wagner passed the photo on to Carlos Ezsquerra as a reference for the Bubba character. In the UK there is a leading brand of bubble gum called Hubba Bubba and this is probably where the name comes from and possibly the photo too.

Steve Green

The shoulder stuff was great - it's almost a heads, shoulders, knees and toes riff.

The happy crab which snips off impetigo's foot always makes me smile.

Bearing in mind Alpha's time tech, and what he did to his dad, it could have gone even darker.

Kill Bubba, revive, Kill Bubba, revive, repeat for days, weeks even.

Colin YNWA

Well if Sinister Dexter teaches us just one thing its that shoulders are the most bullet resistant part of the human body! Gotta take those shoulders out as soon as possible.

Anyyyyway I'm only 1/2 through this glorious episode but while you suggest that Metalzoic is clearly written as a musical I think tis fair to say that your devine rendition of 'Girls just what to have fun' makes it clear that Conrad and Fox are working towards the musical episode of 'Space Spinner 2000' - an episode we all want to hear.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 23 April, 2019, 09:56:23 PM
Thanks Conrad - great as always. It really is a shame Ace Trucking has come to this since it could have ended in such a great way with the trip into the sun.

Dredd has been overshadowed by Rage recently but there has actually been a very great run of strips going on for quite a while.

In this episode you were discussing Max Bubba's mutation being a film of skin covering his face. You may not know that the inspiration for this was a photo of someone who had just blown up a huge bubble gum bubble and had it explode over their face. John Wagner passed the photo on to Carlos Ezsquerra as a reference for the Bubba character. In the UK there is a leading brand of bubble gum called Hubba Bubba and this is probably where the name comes from and possibly the photo too.

Oh man, we've got Hubba Bubba here too, that's an amazing link! Also, I agree about Dredd, there have been some really fun stories recently, like Perp Aid or Atlantis, and especially the crazy fight scenes in Deathfist. I'm really loving Brendan McCarthy's Dredd work in 86!

Quote from: Steve Green on 23 April, 2019, 10:54:56 PM
The shoulder stuff was great - it's almost a heads, shoulders, knees and toes riff.

The happy crab which snips off impetigo's foot always makes me smile.

Bearing in mind Alpha's time tech, and what he did to his dad, it could have gone even darker.

Kill Bubba, revive, Kill Bubba, revive, repeat for days, weeks even.

I think if you kill a guy more than twice it stops being revenge and starts evil? We worked out some of this math during Mean Arena, in terms on that line :D

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 April, 2019, 07:40:13 AM
Well if Sinister Dexter teaches us just one thing its that shoulders are the most bullet resistant part of the human body! Gotta take those shoulders out as soon as possible.

Anyyyyway I'm only 1/2 through this glorious episode but while you suggest that Metalzoic is clearly written as a musical I think tis fair to say that your devine rendition of 'Girls just what to have fun' makes it clear that Conrad and Fox are working towards the musical episode of 'Space Spinner 2000' - an episode we all want to hear.

The thing I learned from westerns and cop shows is that there's never any lasting damage from being shot in the shoulder, ever!

Also, appreciate everyone talking about our singing ability! I love when Fox and I can rattle off some random song parody or something like that. We are profoundly silly people!