Main Menu

Another New Star Wars Trilogy

Started by JOE SOAP, 06 February, 2018, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

One of the best parts of ROTJ is C-3PO's relationship with the Ewoks: ascension to god-hood then Teddy Ruxpin.

And of course, Yub Nub – the real ending to ROTJ.

ABCwarBOT

They'll have to come up with something original for this otherwise it'll be called a rip off.  Hard to see where they can really take Star Wars now. 

TordelBack

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 08 February, 2018, 02:33:01 AMHard to see where they can really take Star Wars now.

But they haven't really taken it anywhere yet,  have they? Rogue One was supposed to be a different direction,  but ended up being about Y-Wings, Star Destroyers,  Tarkin and Darth Vader. I'm hoping Solo will be an underworld heist/caper thing, but there are TIE Fighters and Star Destroyers in the trailer,  so possibly not... By my reckoning that leaves almost every imaginable genre and non-Hero-Mentor-Dark-Lord plot still to explore in a GFFA setting.

JamesC

I'd like to see a Star Wars POW film.

dyl

Seeing the trailer made me think that there could be some fun films with Han and Lando, more pulpy Sci fi less about jedi/Sith and destiny etc which is getting a bit dull. I think you do need the Empire in there to keep it Star Wars plus they make a great bad guy. Think one of the problems with the prequels and the new trilogy is that the bad guys are a bit fuzzy. Just hope it doesn't get too bogged down with origin stuff and that that bloke is ok as Han.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: dyl on 08 February, 2018, 07:26:39 PM
Seeing the trailer made me think that there could be some fun films with Han and Lando, more pulpy Sci fi less about jedi/Sith

I've been saying for years that I'd watch a series of movies entirely based around Han and Chewie smuggling shit and getting into/out of scrapes with the authorities.

And then someone pointed out that was basically Firefly.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

dyl

Haha, good point. This will have Star destroyers and storm troopers though :)

blackmocco

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 February, 2018, 07:34:48 PM
Quote from: dyl on 08 February, 2018, 07:26:39 PM
Seeing the trailer made me think that there could be some fun films with Han and Lando, more pulpy Sci fi less about jedi/Sith

I've been saying for years that I'd watch a series of movies entirely based around Han and Chewie smuggling shit and getting into/out of scrapes with the authorities.

And then someone pointed out that was basically Firefly.

It's true. But then we didn't get nearly enough Firefly to scratch that itch properly...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 February, 2018, 05:11:43 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 08 February, 2018, 02:33:01 AMHard to see where they can really take Star Wars now.

But they haven't really taken it anywhere yet,  have they? Rogue One was supposed to be a different direction,  but ended up being about Y-Wings, Star Destroyers,  Tarkin and Darth Vader. I'm hoping Solo will be an underworld heist/caper thing, but there are TIE Fighters and Star Destroyers in the trailer,  so possibly not... By my reckoning that leaves almost every imaginable genre and non-Hero-Mentor-Dark-Lord plot still to explore in a GFFA setting.

But what direction can they head in?   If they change it too much it won't be Star Wars and there's pnly so many ideas out there.   They're still going to be films that usually end up in a giant battle.

TordelBack

I know what you mean,  but with at least 8 films on the card after Solo*, I think that they can still make 'traditionally themed' SW movies, and have room to do all sorts of tangential things that expand the scope of the setting.

Looking no further than Clone Wars' movie-homage episodes gives a good idea of what can be done successfully with a GFFA twist: Seven Samurai,  Godzilla,  Vietnam,  undercover prison break,  Longest Day... And that's without shifting into comedy,  romance,  horror,  crime,  historical etc etc.

*Meaning we've only seen half of the SW franchise as currently envisaged!  :o

IAMTHESYSTEM

I always enjoyed the video Game Jedi 2 with Kyle Katarn as the former Imperial and force user who turned to the Alliance after falling in lurv' with Rebel Jan. That might be a good idea for a film I felt since from Empire Officer to Alliance Commando is quite a journey and you could space it out nicely over several movies. I'd enjoy a Kotor based Film too or even a Tinker Tailer type film about infiltration into the Alliance by Imperial spies. Or vice-versa even.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Proudhuff

I'm totally lost and CBA with the whole SW universe now...
DDT did a job on me

Big_Dave

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

Hollywood has very few stories up its sleeve and you could probably throw a few half-assed cliches together - superweapon, star-crossed lovers, galactic fugitives, disgraced officer's last chance for redemption, missing family member, The Chosen One, etc - and start a betting pool for which one Disney will make first.  I imagine there is almost zero chance the Jedi and/or Chosen One narratives won't be making a comeback.