Main Menu

'That' film is in a new box-set.

Started by Bolt-01, 01 November, 2003, 04:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

In my local ASDA this morning, having a mooch in the video section; guess what? You can buy a box set of X-men (1), Daredevil and Judge Dredd!

Can anyone spot the filler?

Rotts (who has a soft spot for the film, despite Stallone and all the other things wrong with it.)

Generally Contrary

Might have to get that - in my mind Daredevil is a vastly underestimated film - the best comic book adaptation I've seen for a while.  Probably since Batman.

Bolt-01

Have to say, I dont own any of those films, so I wouldn't mind either!

Rotts

IndigoPrime

Really? I thought Daredevil was really really average.

Devons Daddy

nice set,
a lets be honest, it was our hero there in essense even if he screwed it up. i have soft spot for it on the level of that.
my boy woudl enjoy that as well. he may be getting that in his stocking for XMAS.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Agrivar

Daredevil was so bad it made Dredd almost watchable. Almost but not quite. Can you belive that not only are they making Daredevil 2 but Elektra as well!!! X-men was one of the best comic films ever.

damnandblast

"Daredevil was so bad it made Dredd almost watchable"

Have to disagree there. I thought it was a damn good action/adventure job without being overtly 'comicy'. Not being a reader of US comics I knew nothing about Daredevil except for the blind lawyer bit, so I guess I came to the film without baggage, which might have helped.

Nigel

Agrivar

I've never read Daredevil but have seen him around in comics like Spider Man but what annoyed the hell out of me in the film was the way everyone suddenly for no reason had super powers.

Elektra, Kingpin, Bullseye they were flying round everywhere. Also the end was a total rip off of Batman Returns, where he realises Elektra is alive (big surprise).

Generally Contrary

Daredevil felt like a fairly good self-contained film, whereas to me, X-Men seemed to be a pilot episode for a incredibly expensive series.  Which it was.

Daredevil on DVD also has some great extras - the interviews with the writers and artists were superb.  There's the father/son dynasty of artists (fill me in, I'm too lazy to check), but the high(low)point was the artist who confesses that he put in so much work it had a pretty nasty effect on his family life.  Really quite sad, and not the kind of thing you expect from the usually celebratory DVD extras.

(a bit like the cast commentary on the special edition of Fellowship of the Ring.  Poor old Jonathan Rhys Davies/Gimli...  I won't spoil it, but his insights into working on these epics nearly brought me to tears.  Especially when contrasted with the jolly hobbits.  What am I saying, it did bring me to tears...)

Steamboy

Didn't mind Dare Devil, was it just me or was DD just more violent in the film than comic, scene where he kills the dude on the rail tracks just doesnt seem right I always thought DD was the Spiderman type hero who didn't kill...still cool movie
Xmen one of the best comic movies ever but agree with Contrary does seem like a pilot, just got number 2 the other day on dvd even better than number1
Judge Dredd, soft spot simply because its all we've got at the moment for big screen Dredd and I like the guns, Angel gang looks good too...

CU Krestel
ps Favorite comic book movie would have to be
   THE CROW, RIP Brandon Lee.

WoD

DD has the worst 'fight scene' ever in the park between DD and Electra.  The movie as a whole is V. average.

Krustabi

X-Men is the best, but not by much. All three are crap

JamieB

DD has a long and awesome history of kicking seven bells out of people who mess with his girlfriends.

The movie was about the most box-checking generic slab of spandex tedium I've ever sat through, but it was nonetheless better than LXG, which is up there with the Roger Corman-produced FANTASTIC FOUR as worst superhero flick ever (and yeah, I've seen the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA pilot. Twice.)

X-MEN is too short and the fight sequences aren't very well directed, but otherwise it's a creditable attempt to add a bit of gravitas and real-world analogues to an otherwise pretty silly core concept.

The JD movie is flawed but not actually *evil*.

J-Bo-1, fave comic movies GHOST WORLD, THE SPECIALS and MYSTERY MEN*.

*If only for the following exchange:
"What about Death Man?"
"Death Man is dead."

Oddboy

Is that boxset VHS or DVD?

Agree with Krestel, best comic movie probably is the Crow. Ghost World is great too. The X-films come after that.
Better set your phaser to stun.

petemaskreplica

Dredd film's not that bad.

But Ghost World rocks - best comics based film evah!