Main Menu

Misheard lyrics

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 04 July, 2014, 11:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: flip-r mk2 on 04 July, 2014, 11:04:34 PM
Always thought it was 'shes so obvious' until it was pointed out to me that Peter Gabriel actually sings 'Jeux sans frontieres' in Games without frontiers.
filippo

I thought till last year it was 'she's so popular'. But apparently I wasn't alone. 

http://www.rockremembers.com/2008/09/games-without-frontiers-peter-gabriel.html
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

NapalmKev

"I see a Red door and I wanted Plated Glass" - 30 years later and my parents still find it hilarious, and love reminding me in front of other relatives.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

GrinningChimera

pretty much anything mumbled by Kurt Cobain.

Great chap though.

Dash Decent

A mate at Uni thought Johnny Rotten's intro to "Holidays in the Sun" went "A cheap holiday in sunny Italy" until I pointed out it was "A cheap holiday in other people's misery."
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

"Onion-y un-loneliness" from Manic Street Preachers' Motorcycle Emptiness, because radio speakers were rubbish in the olden days. No - I don't know what I imagined it meant either. JDB has to mangle syntax and disregard scansion just to accommodate Edwards/Wire lyrics, so you could probably find dozens of examples from any single MSP record.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sauchie on 08 July, 2014, 08:32:53 PM

"Onion-y un-loneliness"

:D I recognised it as soon as I read it
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Shakira? Shakara!

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 July, 2014, 02:40:28 PM
Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, Put your hands all over my body.

A variation on this - didn't witness this myself, but I'm reliably informed that at a football match in the early 90s, Reading fans (not sure if home or away) chanted "Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, Rub your beard all over my body". Genius.

I used to think the Pet Shop Boys "Left To My Own Devices" contained the line "For in a secret life I was a randy general". It's Roundhead, not randy which probably says something about my filthy mind.

Skullmo

I used to think 'hip to be square' by Huey Lewis was saying 'Hit the B Square'. i spent ages pondering on its meaning.
It's a joke. I was joking.

-Dunk!-

Always though they were celebrating fromage snacking by exclaiming "Roulade!" during Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

A recent trip to see the (wonderfully crap) stage show and I now know it's "Ulla!"

Mine's better.

Dunk!

Dode C

Another Madonna tune '' La? Isla Bonita'' contains the line ''Young girl with eyes like potatoes''. Still not sure what she says to this day but I'm sticking with my version-it's poetry!

Fungus

Quote from: Dode C on 09 December, 2014, 01:45:53 PM
Another Madonna tune '' La? Isla Bonita'' contains the line ''Young girl with eyes like potatoes''. Still not sure what she says to this day but I'm sticking with my version-it's poetry!

Yup, and all the better for making sense (though not initially) !
Just checked the actual line and - of course - that makes no sense...

WhizzBang

Not my story but here is one told to me...

A bunch of friends were in the pub when It's Raining Men came on the jukebox and one girl said 'I just don't get what all the fuss is about with this song'. 'What do you mean? What fuss?' she was asked and the reply was 'This song - Israeli men. What's so special about Israeli men?' she asked in all honesty.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: WhizzBang on 09 December, 2014, 04:05:42 PM
'This song - Israeli men. What's so special about Israeli men?' she asked in all honesty.

Much like Spielberg, they're in touch with their inner child. In particular, bath-time toys:

Tall! Blond! Dark! And lean!
Rubber duck yet strong and mean!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

shaolin_monkey

'See the blood flow, washing dishes, up above my head'.

Kudos to anyone who gets that one!  I've only now found out what the actual lyrics are, after 30 years of listening to that song!!

Greg M.

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 02 February, 2015, 02:46:12 PM
'See the blood flow, washing dishes, up above my head'.

Kudos to anyone who gets that one!  I've only now found out what the actual lyrics are, after 30 years of listening to that song!!

Iron Maiden wants you for dead. (Which I used to hear as "I mean I'm watching the dead.")