Main Menu

Watchmen

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 04 March, 2009, 11:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Am I the first here to have seen it? I don't believe it!
Anway I got a free ticket to a preview showing.
I really enjoyed it. It sticks to the book about as much as a film possibly could - there's one fairly huge difference but i won't ruin it - and the acting is great.
What I really hadn't expected was the soundtrack - I thought it would just be the stuff on the clips but actually is a Scorcesily good trawl through the annals of classic rock and pop.

I'm expecting lots of people to disagree with me but i don't care. It was never going to be as detailed as the graphic novel, but in my opinion they couldn't have done a better job of it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Buddy

Was supposed to go to a press show on Monday night but other things got in the way.

My film critic friend really liked it, not knowing much about the comic, but she is reading it now.

Planning to go next tuesday, will report back then.

Radbacker

I'm off to watch in the next hour so will report in.

CU Radbacker

Radbacker

woah that was long,  best we could hope for.  Veryb stylish and way more graphic than i though it would be (considering most of the violence in the comic appears off panel) lots of splintering bones and blood and guts flying everywhere [spoiler]i always imagined the Docs disintergration as being less messy than how it was done[/spoiler]

as for the end its a change but still gets the point accross i think but really couldn't see why they didn't go with the squid it would've been just as believable as what they used IMHO.

I think though Moore has it right his stuff isn't designed to be watched on a screen they are comics through and through and anything you get on the screen just wouldn't be the same.

I'm confused now.  I liked it, its a good adaptation of the original comic but its just not great like the comic and it should be

CU Radbacker

Radbacker

oh and Goldpleton there is boobs in it if you look hard enough.  while omn the subject of boobs the movie also has the most inspired use of the song Halejulia (how the f do you spell it?) ever.  Man i just laughed (and felt bad about it too got a couple of dagger looks from other people).

CU Radbacker

JayzusB.Christ

'If you look hard enough'?
Man, you don't have to look THAT hard to see them. I was also fairly taken aback by the level of graphic violence - like Rorschach, Snyder doesn't compromise, even in the face of box-office armageddon.

As for the plot change, I believe it [spoiler]was actually a more sensible ending than Moore's if not quite as visually spectacular Could have done with explaining why Rorschach chose the New Frontiersman to send his memoirs to, as well as Manhattan's final words to Veidt, but no harm done I suppose.[/spoiler]

Another nice bit of soundtrack inspiration - [spoiler]'All along the Watchtower' played at the exact point it's quoted in the graphic novel. Nice work[/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Not seeing the film until tomorrow night but if its as GREAT as this I'll be happy.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797

Mike Carroll

Just back from the midnight showing in Liffey Valley, Dublin...

My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Yes, there are changes from the graphic novel - and some omissions - but I felt that it all worked very well, and I'm inclined to agree with JayzusB.Christ about the big plot change.

The cast were superbly matched to the characters - particularly Patrick Wilson as Dan - and the effects were mostly top-notch. There were a couple of slightly dodgy bits here and there but I'll forgive them because the rest of the film was so good.

But, man, it's violent! I mean, really, really violent. Some of the fight scenes are incredibly brutal - this is definitely not a "comic-book" movie in that sense.

Was it worth the wait? I think so, yes. It's not the exact same Watchmen as the comic, but then it wouldn't be: it's not a comic.

-- Mike

Goaty

Check out today's Metro paper for nice "New Frontiersman" cover!

LARF

worldshown

Dan Kelly

Saw last night at a special screening, introduced by a very jet-lagged Dave Gibbons and presented in a club, set up as a cinema, set up as various locations from the comic/movie...

And I'm not sure.  It looks gorgeous.  I have no problem with the slo-mo.  In many places it is incredibly faithful (looks, script, etc).  There are very few changes to who does what, other than to conflate the plot to a more manageable pace (Dan visiting Veidt rather than Rorchach, The shrinks interview with Rorscach, etc).  

And I think that the ending works.  In some ways even more than the original as people *know* that the threat is real - I mean, what happens in the comic if no more squids arrive?

That said there are things that are missing that make it less satisfactory, but I can see why they are missing...  The shrinks change from interview Rorschach, The Bernies, The Detectives, The newstand etc... Add those in and you need another hour!

But there are only two things that i really felt were wrong [spoiler]I think that changing the "birth" of Rorschach was wrong, and I think that Moloch's tip to Rorschach should have been kept[/spoiler]

Alina on the other hand, who hasn't read the comic, loved it.  And wanted a big discussion on the ending.  In a "were they justified" way.

Bhuna

twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Goaty

Quote from: "daBhuna"This is brilliant.

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Rorschach with that dogs!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "daBhuna"This is brilliant.

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

No fair that's what I posted above but on YouTube. I'm going off to the corner to sulk!