Main Menu

Irrational Fears

Started by Barrington Boots, 18 July, 2023, 12:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Watch out then.
A motivated shark can swim up the crappiest canal.

And that reminds me of my long-ago short-lived fear of bridges. This was no doubt an extension of my terror of deep water, awakened by the evil state of the river that I crossed on my way to school.
What if the bridge just collapsed when I was halfway over? Nothing could save me. Down I'd go with all the crashing stone into the cold green water.
Lots of river in my town.
Lots of bridges.
Any number of opportunities to die horribly.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

I saw this fear written by someone or other on the Internet and now it's passed on to me.  Those of a squeamish disposition should not continue.

You're walking past spiked railings on a frosty day and suddenly you slip. You land face first on the spikes and two are driven into your eyes. So, impaled optically on the railings, you struggle to pull yourself up. But it's still icy, so the more your struggle the more your feet slide about so you just have to stay there.

Sorry.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JohnW on 18 July, 2023, 10:23:20 PMA motivated shark can swim up the crappiest canal.

Pretty sure it's only bull sharks that can tolerate fresh water to any degree and, even where we are with climate change, we're a long way off bull sharks being able to live in the UK's coastal waters (even before the current deluge of Tory-enabled sewage dumping).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JohnW

Damn it, Jim!
I'm trying to stoke irrational fears here and you come along with your facts and your reason and everything.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JohnW on 18 July, 2023, 10:41:06 PMI'm trying to stoke irrational fears here and you come along with your facts and your reason and everything.

This fact, however, is one more reason to never, ever go to Australia. The land is full of insanely deadly spiders, the sea is full of sharks (and box jellyfish), and the fresh water is full of crocodiles and sharks that can swim upstream from the sea.

Plus, y'know, Australians. ;)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I'm afraid of Australia.

Not the people or anything particularly about it.

Just Australia.

I will not be elaborating.

JohnW

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 July, 2023, 10:13:37 AMI'm afraid of Australia.
Just Australia.

The tectonic plate on which Australia sits is shifting northwards at a rate of seven centimetres a year.
AUSTRALIA IS SNEAKING UP ON YOU!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JohnW on 19 July, 2023, 12:07:49 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 July, 2023, 10:13:37 AMI'm afraid of Australia.
Just Australia.

The tectonic plate on which Australia sits is shifting northwards at a rate of seven centimetres a year.
AUSTRALIA IS SNEAKING UP ON YOU!

I read about this recently, didn't they have to update all the GPS maps recently because the whole feckin continent was outside the system's tolerances for error?
You may quote me on that.

Barrington Boots

I was surprised by the same billboard this morning. Strolling along with my mind elsewhere, and suddenly a whacking great shark in front of me. FFS!
You're a dark horse, Boots.