Main Menu

Zenith Phase One

Started by jabish, 22 October, 2014, 01:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabish

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of the brand new Zenith Phase One hardcover in Gosh comics in London on Saturday and meet Steve Yeowell and get him to sign a copy. Twas just a quick hello to him to say that it was great that it was back in print to which he said that he was delighted that it was now affordable after all these years. Legend. Lovely chap. Great artist.

It's a handsome book as well and bigger than the limited complete edition last year. So I'm glad I waited. The complete Zenith looks great but having that Yeowell art in a bigger format is a real treat.

Great stuff. Bring on the other books :-)

judgerufian

Argh, just a little jealous I forked out for the complete edition now after reading that!
Glad to hear its a winner.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: judgerufian on 22 October, 2014, 09:59:16 AMArgh, just a little jealous I forked out for the complete edition now after reading that!
Only a little, I imagine? I suspect anyone with one of those in good condition could easily enough sell it on eBay and get enough for it to pay for the complete set of new hardbacks.

judgerufian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 October, 2014, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: judgerufian on 22 October, 2014, 09:59:16 AMArgh, just a little jealous I forked out for the complete edition now after reading that!
Only a little, I imagine? I suspect anyone with one of those in good condition could easily enough sell it on eBay and get enough for it to pay for the complete set of new hardbacks.
When the complete edition was announced , most squaxx thought it would never be re-published so lumped in for a very expensive book....only for a few weeks later to hear about these editions. Saying that I'm happy with my edition (and wouldnt run the ebay gauntlet on it) but love the larger format for any 2000AD book so a little disappointed for myself....but pleased for those who waited.
It'll teach me next time to not be so impatient!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judgerufian on 22 October, 2014, 11:47:09 AM
When the complete edition was announced , most squaxx thought it would never be re-published

All the press releases and promotion very specifically said it would never be re-published in this format, a caveat which should have made it pretty damn obvious that a re-print in some other format would be along before too long.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin Zeal

Yeah, it was pretty clear at the time that while The Complete Zenith would never be reprinted, Zenith in some other format wouldn't be too far away.

Skullmo

Quote from: judgerufian on 22 October, 2014, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 October, 2014, 11:23:49 AM
When the complete edition was announced , most squaxx thought it would never be re-published so lumped in for a very expensive book....only for a few weeks later to hear about these editions. Saying that I'm happy with my edition (and wouldnt run the ebay gauntlet on it) but love the larger format for any 2000AD book so a little disappointed for myself....but pleased for those who waited.
It'll teach me next time to not be so impatient!

I'll buy if from you if you want ;)
It's a joke. I was joking.

judgerufian

I didnt realise you had to have such lawyer like attention to the press release.

So in summary, I am now a little bit jealous of the new editions, lacking in attention to detail and pretty stupid for not knowing what everyone else did about the collected Zenith edition. Thanks for the education folks  :lol:

Skullmo, I wouldnt even swap you it for a guest stint on the Inky Fingers podcast!  ;)   

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judgerufian on 22 October, 2014, 03:08:29 PM
I didnt realise you had to have such lawyer like attention to the press release.

I dunno... I'd hardly think of £100 as an impulse purchase and, as such, I'd do at least a little research on any product I was intending to buy. I appreciate, however, that not everyone thinks like I do. Thankfully.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Those of us that bought the Complete Zenith made the new individual editions possible.

It's rather a shame that we've been a little bit stiffed over page-size and extras, but had our edition bombed, or been suppressed by Morrison Lawyerbots, then one of the greatest ever British comic stories may well not have seen print again for decades....

IndigoPrime

It's also worth noting that 1) the new editions are not significantly cheaper, and will clock in at a minimum of £80 RRP; 2) anyone wanting to offload their special edition is pretty much guaranteed to get 80 quid on eBay for it, as a lowball buy it now. It's really a win-win.

Tombo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 October, 2014, 04:15:35 PM
It's also worth noting that 1) the new editions are not significantly cheaper, and will clock in at a minimum of £80 RRP; 2) anyone wanting to offload their special edition is pretty much guaranteed to get 80 quid on eBay for it, as a lowball buy it now. It's really a win-win.

£60 tops, spread out over several months.  I pre-ordered Phase 1 off Amazon for less than £12 and the rest are all going for less than £16.50.  Phase 1 was £15 in Forbidden Planet when I looked through it this morning.

IndigoPrime

Interesting to see The Invisibles get a mention. In many ways, I still prefer Zenith; The Invisibles is far more ambitious and wide-ranging, but had a horrible tendency towards the incomprehensible on many occasions.

Skullmo

Quote from: Tombo on 22 October, 2014, 04:43:09 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 October, 2014, 04:15:35 PM

£60 tops, spread out over several months.  I pre-ordered Phase 1 off Amazon for less than £12 and the rest are all going for less than £16.50.  Phase 1 was £15 in Forbidden Planet when I looked through it this morning.

£60 tops RRP? Or are we comparing apples and oranges?
It's a joke. I was joking.