Main Menu

Comic-Con UK Invasion panel

Started by Marbles, 09 August, 2011, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

Wish I'd been there for this one!

QuoteU.K. creators Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, Dave Gibbons, David Lloyd, John Higgins and Alan Davis came together on Saturday evening at Comic-Con International in San Diego to tell the origins of their careers and converse about the comic book scene for U.K. creators over the last 40 years.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=33689

QuoteThe final question was probably the most relevant: "Can the British comics industry be saved?"

"No -- the British publishers don't really care about comics," said Lloyd, with no disagreement from his fellow panelists.

Ennis delivered some hard facts about the current status of U.K. creators in the States. "I think '2000 A.D. ' will be fine for a while. The reprints of the old stuff are doing well enough, as are the movies. How [do] you expand on that? I don't know...I'm the youngest here, and I'm 41. The U.K. Invasion, such as it was, was a thing of the past,
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Richmond Clements

No mention of Clint? Not a good example of new talent, I'll admit, but there is also Strip and The Phoenix.
With respect to Ennis- he may be 41, but he is a 41 year old living in New York. I wonder when the last time he paid attention to the Brisith comic scene was?

Kirbs

All very positive then  ::)

is there any film of the panel on you tube or anywhere else?

GordonR

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 August, 2011, 11:39:00 AM
No mention of Clint? Not a good example of new talent, I'll admit, but there is also Strip and The Phoenix.

Neither of which are actually out yet, and one of which has already missed its first planned launch point.

Gordon's Rule of Comic Publishing (learned from years of hard-bitten experience): It doesn't count, until you actually see it on the shelves.

And, no, you just don't hear much about Clint anywhere anymore, do you...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: GordonR on 10 August, 2011, 08:49:26 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 August, 2011, 11:39:00 AM

Neither of which are actually out yet, and one of which has already missed its first planned launch point.

Gordon's Rule of Comic Publishing (learned from years of hard-bitten experience): It doesn't count, until you actually see it on the shelves.

And, no, you just don't hear much about Clint anywhere anymore, do you...

True, true... as long as they pay though.

Dodsy

QuoteThe final question was probably the most relevant: "Can the British comics industry be saved?"

"No -- the British publishers don't really care about comics," said Lloyd, with no disagreement from his fellow panelists.

Ennis delivered some hard facts about the current status of U.K. creators in the States. "I think '2000 A.D. ' will be fine for a while. The reprints of the old stuff are doing well enough, as are the movies. How [do] you expand on that? I don't know...I'm the youngest here, and I'm 41. The U.K. Invasion, such as it was, was a thing of the past,

Not wanting to sound all smug but that question was actually asked by yours truely  ;)
Twitter - @dodsy84

Mike Carroll

Much of what was said on the panel wasn't new to me, having read many interviews with all the panellists over the past couple of decades, but the overall atmosphere was very light-hearted, I thought. The room was packed and the panel could have run for another hour or more if that had been permitted.

Of the panellists, Garth and Dave Gibbons probably had the most to say, with Alan Davis being by far the quietest. During the question on their literary influences, Alan cited Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs and E.E. "Doc" Smith - which cheered me up no end, as the other creators picked "proper writers" like Shakespeare and that lot.

As mentioned in the article, Garth bigged-up 2000 AD big-time, and - as Mr. Molcher told us the following day - almost immediately after the panel an eager crowd gathered at the 2000 AD stand to snap up the old GNs (by the end of the con the once-laden tables were looking pretty bare).

It was a good panel, and one of the highlights of the con for me. (Well, that and the panels I was on!)
-- Mike

Dodsy

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 13 August, 2011, 08:19:24 PM
As mentioned in the article, Garth bigged-up 2000 AD big-time, and - as Mr. Molcher told us the following day - almost immediately after the panel an eager crowd gathered at the 2000 AD stand to snap up the old GNs (by the end of the con the once-laden tables were looking pretty bare).

Tell me about it, I went back on Sunday to see if there was anything left worth having and it was almost all gone!
Good job earlier during the con I picked up all 4 Buttonmen TP for $40 which I was pritty pleased about.
Twitter - @dodsy84