Main Menu

RTD on the way out?

Started by Leigh S, 11 December, 2007, 09:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

If so, for me at least, its good news!

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/dec/11/bbc.television" target="_blank">Happy days?

Leigh S

(I say that, of course, the new chap could just go for "dont fix what isnt broken" or a McCoy revival, but for me, after teh woeful final of Series 3, any change has got ot be potentially good

The Adventurer

On one hand RTD should be thanked for a successful revival of the franchise. Without his diligent work I would never have become a Who fan. On the other hand, the end of Season 3 makes me want to stuff him into the same hole Pat Mills fills. Good concepts, godawful executions. And this has been true with all three season finales so far.

A fresh perspective would be an excellent change of pace. Granted we've still got to go through Season 4 and the series of specials for 2009 before we get to Season 5. But bring it on.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

LARF

Grass is always greener? RTD might not be perfect but Who is held together really by the other writers, not just by RTD's producing/directing. Who's to say this guy will be any better?

Leigh S

It seems he isnt really a writer, this new chap, so I suspect we'll get RTD scripts still - I think the advantage might only be as much as a fresh pair of eyes and less pressure on RTD to write half of it.. but for my money, thats seemed the root cause of all the series biggest problems

davidbishop

The new guy is replacing executive producer Julie Gardener, not RTD.
davidbishop

DavidXBrunt

Details, details.

I really enjoyed series three. Perhaps more importantly for the future of Who so did my 9 year old nephew, my 11 year old niece, my Nicky, my former Drama Teacher, and The Mother. Strikes me as in the old days it would have just been me and The Mother enjoying it, end even then with reservations.

Floyd-the-k

we're loving all of it down here

yours undemandingly,

Floyd

Leigh S

ah -yes - got swept away with a general mod of optimism there!

I know what youre saying about popularity, DXB, and I was really swept along on the wave of success of series 1 as much as anybody.  I just want it to be successful and have stories that stand up to more than a minutes thought - surely thats possible?

wrly_bird

Richmond Clements

I know what you're saying Watcher.

I was watching a rerun of the Shakespeare episode at the weekend. It had many many plot problems and things that should niggle.
But you know something? I watched, and laughed at the one liners ("A trite answer? That's what I do." Me too Will-me too!)and was swept up by the pace of the tale are realised that in the end I don't care about internal story logic or anything like that.
I enjoy it. That's enough for me.

TordelBack

I wasn't fond of the Series 3 conclusion myself (good setup, poor resolution - almost an executive summary of all three seasons), but I've met plenty of people who loved it, and I've even seen a 'sound of drums' meme crawling around various diverse forums (fora?)

Roger Godpleton

I hope his car breaks down in Norwich and he's torn apart by an angry mob. He should survive though, cos no one cares about Norwich. I don't care about the lack of logic in this statement. I enjoy it. That's good enough for me.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Richmond Clements

Hoagy

Is RTD short for retard?

Uninformed, Manchester.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract