Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

You're scraping the bottom of the annoyed tub if that gets on your wick Hawk my boy. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

M.I.K.

He must really hate David Attenborough.

TordelBack

JamesC

I don't like that Space song because they say 'more deadlier'.

I thought about growing a beard because I wanted to look like the Action Man mountaineer. When I realised I'd never look that cool I gave up.

JamesC

von Boom

As is - cool mutherfucker. Put a floppy beany thingy hat on him - hipster.

Professor Bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTrXAxZ-g

My younger relatives and their mates hate hipsters based upon the perfectly sound and multi-generational rationale that if you are visibly trying to be cool you never will be, though I am on the fence about hating them because they're so ubiquitous these days that in my eyes they're  really just the modern version of a chav.

Hawkmumbler

Please remember in mind most people here are of the goth type era and i'm sure their where plenty of people (Jim?) must have been ridiculed by the previous generation for trying to hard to be "cool". Each generation has it's thing.

ZenArcade

So Bear we had CHAV (Council House And Violent) now we have TFAN (Trust Fund And Nice)? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 04 March, 2015, 06:42:38 PM
I thought about growing a beard because I wanted to look like the Action Man mountaineer.

Thought never occured to me >whistles<   :-[.

Here, is that not the arctic explorer anyway? Didn't the mountaineer have a cool orange hard hat?  See, I know cool when I see it.

I, Cosh

It really grinds my gears when a load of people have been talking a lot of gear-grinding shit about cycling and cyclists and I really want to write a big long rant but when I finally sit down I feel the rage has dissipated and I can't be bothered. That gets my goat every time.

Highlights: bits about red lights and pavements are correct, everything else is nonsense; I always forget that other people are scared to ride on British roads; I've been a fat guy in lycra since I was fifteen so you can all go and fuck yourselves; anyone who drives a motor vehicle more than once every six months is a homicidal maniac at best.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 March, 2015, 07:48:33 PM
Please remember in mind most people here are of the goth type era and i'm sure their where plenty of people (Jim?) must have been ridiculed by the previous generation for trying to hard to be "cool". Each generation has it's thing.
It's really interesting the little nuances that get lost between generations. Goths were never cool (I was almost one but didn't have the balls) and the biggest problem with the idea of "hipster" as anything other than a pejorative term for "young men with (or possibly without) silly beards" is that it's an amorphous, external label rather than a self-identifying emblem.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 March, 2015, 11:39:26 PM
It really grinds my gears when a load of people have been talking a lot of gear-grinding shit about cycling and cyclists and I really want to write a big long rant but when I finally sit down I feel the rage has dissipated and I can't be bothered. That gets my goat every time.

My personal theory is that cyclists seem to get more stick only because they're a combination of the two things motorists hate most: pedestrians and vehicles.

Don't take it personally - the thing to remember about being a driver is that once you're behind the wheel, successful driving requires you be assertive, which leads to being aggressive, which leads to everyone else being the enemy.  People with caravans, truckers, white van drivers, women drivers, elderly drivers, young drivers, drivers the same age as you who shouldn't have a fucking licence, people in tractors, buses, motorcyclists...

radiator

Cosh - I like cycling and I like cyclists on the whole. I think the world would be a better place if more people cycled instead of just driving everywhere. I don't drive, so don't fully understand why motorists tend to have such animosity towards them, but I like to think that even if I did drive I'd be considerate.

I understand that lycra is somewhat practical, but I still think some of the get up a small minority of cyclists wear looks a bit silly outside of the context of a competition. To use your football analogy, I guess it'd be like someone turning up for a casual five a side game with some mates wearing a full team kit, if that makes sense.

Hawkmumbler

I bought a new eraser from Winsor and newton and the things has the consistancy of putty! It's sticking to everything! UUURRGGHH!

Satanist

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 March, 2015, 11:39:26 PM...the biggest problem with the idea of "hipster" as anything other than a pejorative term for "young men with (or possibly without) silly beards" is that it's an amorphous, external label rather than a self-identifying emblem.

Just like Neds I need to call them something while I sneer contemptuously. TBH hipsters dont really bother me except that idiot sitting at the end of the office.

Whats really getting on my moobs at the moment is electricians. I am now onto my 3rd and hold out more hope of Halo Jones book 4 turning up before one of these money grabbing toss pots!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?