Main Menu

Prog 2050 - Epic Thrills!

Started by Richard, 23 September, 2017, 04:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Well I'd better start a new thread or else all the reviews will just end up on that Zenith thread.

I thought the new Judge Dredd story would be a one-off, but it's episode one of something longer. Quite funny, especially the first two panels on page 4 (but don't look ahead).

But the highlight for me is the art in the Rogue Trooper one-off. The way Leonardo Manco draws Rogue with his bayonet that looks like it's about to emerge from the page and stab the reader in the face is outstanding. It's also a well-written synopsis of who Rogue is for new readers, as it's been seven years since we last saw him in the regular prog. There's also an advert for a new Rogue computer game.

Grey Area is back for the start of a new storyline, this time in the Middle East. New readers might be puzzled by why Resting Bitch Face keeps being called Bitch, given that it's not obvious that this is in fact her name and not just harassment in the workplace.

Slainé  plunges straight in with a massacre.

Indigo Prime is by John Smith, and not by someone else as in the new Devlin Waugh story in the Megazine. Fantastic art by Lee Carter (of course). I've been looking forward to this one, since the last series ended in such a mental place.

(There's the Zenith article but it has its own thread.)

There is a run-of-the-mill Sinister Dexter one-off. Not my cup of tea really, but the people who love this series might like it, and it's back next week. Art by Steve Yeowell.

The Fall of Deadworld does't really work as a one-off, since it follows on directly from the end of the last series and won't make much sense to anyone who hasn't read it. New readers might forgive it for the art though. The whole thing is suitably revolting, and it promises to all kick off in the next series.

Tharg, with these 48 pages you are really spoiling us...

Jamie1000013

Haven't finished it all yet but so far it is really fun read.

Dredd story was really good, and looking forward to future parts to the story. Not sure who the guy is who helps the people hide should we know him from previous progs?

Rogue Trooper: After listening to the Thrillcast podcast I was really looking forward to this and it delivered above my expectations. The art was amazing and the story was really well done. Hopefully get more of this soon.

Zenith: I thought it was going to be its own strip for some reason :-(. I wish Zenith was ageless to be honest, a bit like DC and Marvel Superheroes where the times change but the heroes don't really age. I'd prefer something where since he is super powered he ages slower. I'd prefer him as a cocky youth in todays times.

Haven't read any of the rest yet.

Richard

The Dredd character is new.

It has already been established in the Zenith stories that superheroes do age. Red Dragon in Phase One being a prime example.

Darren Stephens

Only read Dredd, Rogue and Indigo Prime so far. All fantastic, but the art on Rogue....oh my gosh. Absolutely incredible!  :o
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Richard on 23 September, 2017, 06:00:17 PM
The Dredd character is new.

It has already been established in the Zenith stories that superheroes do age. Red Dragon in Phase One being a prime example.

Not true, he previously appeared in an earlier T.C. Eglington Dredd story, "The Sons of Booth", as their leader. Same M.O., same build / character design, and with the name of Linus (as in Robert Linus Booth)
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Swerty

With artwork like this I want Rogue every week please.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 23 September, 2017, 06:00:17 PM

Aye, but Siadwell''s an alkie. Someone who didn't know better might (mistakenly) assume he'd just let himself go. Ruby Fox (Voltage) is a more clear cut example, since the reversal of her age is an important plot point.*

The Zenith text piece is credited to Martin Howe**, the author of Flying High, one of the books on St John's night stand when he's visited by Lux in Phase II (595).

* When she becomes a Lloigor (632) - the other former members of Cloud 9 are horrible and beardy until they assume Lloigor form too. St John not only ages, he starts to look like Tony Blair (Zzzenith.com) - time is a cruel mistress

** Matt Smith

Richard

Thank you Batman's SC, I'd forgotten him.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

moly

Thought this was a great issue especially rogue trooper and even slaine moved the story forward  :lol:

Colin YNWA

Great onboarding Prog. Nice hefty lump of solid thrillpower.

Been enjoying Eglington's Dredd of late and this is no exception. Setting up a story nicely. My only beef is the way Hershey dismissing Dredd's advice with a dimissive "Trust me. It'll blow over." is just setting her up for a fail (I'm assuming) and seeming daft, as so many have before when dismissing Joe's warnings. I mean you'd think they'd learn and I think Hershey deserves better than that. Still as I say nice set up and looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Rogue Trooper is a great story with some flashly if a little crowded art which does somewhat stifle a lean and well crafted tale.

Grey Area opens a new arc with a scene and curious remit change, and with this we're off to war? We'll see and while the set-up feels a little forced its done wonderfully and I'm really happy this series is back.

Slaine does what Slaine does its fun and frolics and chopping and what not as Pat prepares to preach, but what fun.

We get a John Smith opener in Indigo Prime and he's setting things up beautifully for Kek-W to take up. Speaking of beautiful Lee Carter is on art.

Zenith text piece is a nicly realised recap and way to bring the character up to date. I wonder how long it will be before the line "he's about to release a new full length album, his first in years, and he's hinted it will be his last" gets interrupted as Matt Smith speaking through the piece to tell us we have a final series coming!

The cream of the crop is Sinister Dexter with a gloriously sharp and funny done in one (I think) setting up a new member of the supporting cast, all helpful and useful... I wonder if that's all he'll be? Still REALLY enjoyed this one and long may the Mighty Yeowell stay on S&D, stoked this one is one of the returning stories next week.

Deadworld is a grim return to justice depatment for Fairfax and builds that bit of the deadworld quite brilliantly and whose that at the end then. Some folks will be very excited about that I suspect. This continues to defy by expectations bt being horrible in a great way.

So yeah if I was jumping onto this Prog I'd sure as hell be sticking around. This is just a great comic and I've seen a few this weekend!

BPP

The lighting on Rogues First page art really baffles me. Specifically his right arm and left leg.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jamie1000013 on 23 September, 2017, 05:49:43 PM
I wish Zenith was ageless to be honest, a bit like DC and Marvel Superheroes where the times change but the heroes don't really age. I'd prefer something where since he is super powered he ages slower. I'd prefer him as a cocky youth in todays times.

Nah in twenty years time I want to see Zenith turn into Neil Young (or Tom Waits maybe... actually Tom Waits might work better) a magnificent grouch of a man all wild and force of nature!

Quote from: Richard on 23 September, 2017, 04:54:12 PM
There is a run-of-the-mill Sinister Dexter one-off. Not my cup of tea really, but the people who love this series might like it, and it's back next week. Art by Steve Yeowell.

I can't speak for the simply legion other S&D fans  but this one - Yep it was magnificent!

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 September, 2017, 02:29:33 PM
Quote from: Jamie1000013 on 23 September, 2017, 05:49:43 PM
I wish Zenith was ageless to be honest, a bit like DC and Marvel Superheroes where the times change but the heroes don't really age. I'd prefer something where since he is super powered he ages slower. I'd prefer him as a cocky youth in todays times.

Nah in twenty years time I want to see Zenith turn into Neil Young (or Tom Waits maybe... actually Tom Waits might work better) a magnificent grouch of a man all wild and force of nature!

Quote from: Richard on 23 September, 2017, 04:54:12 PM

I can't speak for the simply legion other S&D fans  but this one - Yep it was magnificent!

Yeah, imagine him getting the old band back together for that lucrative reunion tour!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JoFox2108

Quote from: Swerty on 23 September, 2017, 08:58:57 PM
With artwork like this I want Rogue every week please.

Absolutely - I thought the Rogue Trooper art was amazing too!!  I'm really sad that it was a one-off.  I find pure black and white strips difficult to read quite often but this one was beautifully crafted and I had no probelm at all.

I liked the new Dredd story (and the link to 'Sons of Booth') - it seems like this could get really interesting as it develops.  Grey Area also looked excellent with a new and challenging environment for the team to work in and a new team for Musk.

I've not read Slaine before so I didn't really get it, however I have got Issue 1 of the Ultimate 2000AD collection which features Slaine in my 'to read' pile so maybe I can get into that sooner reather than later and then figure out what's what!

The biggest treat for me this week was Lee Carter's art in Indigo Prime which was just gorgeous.  I keep looking at it again and again.  It's some of the very best comic art I've ever seen.  In terms of the story the background thingy at the front of the prog gave me some basic info but I wanted more to really get into the story so I've been reading around a bit.  The Wiki overview of Indigo Prime was pretty helpful here .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_Prime but it still didn't tell me what the Christhulhu event was.   The whole thing looks really interesting though.  (Any background on that event from anyone who knows would be great!)

Sinister Dexter was odd, funny and refreshing.  I enjoyed it.

The Fall of Deadworld also looked good.  I'm still enjoying Dave Kendall's art.

Overall I thought it was a good prog with some outstanding art.  For me more introduction / background info for Slaine and Indigo Prime would have helped.

QuoteIt's all a deep end.