Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Skwox and kwokksan for me too. Also never even considered that it could be anything else.  Anyway, that was Cyber-Mat pronouncing it wrong, not Tharg.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Skwox but Kwaksan here, just to be awkward. Clearly the puny  human sensorium is ill-equipped for the complexities of Betelgeusian phonemes.

M.I.K.

I've always thought it was a chicken noise rather than a duck noise.

hippynumber1

I'm with Tordelback on this one, I'm afraid.

Spikes

ZenArcade

I'm not ducking this issue: it's a quack! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

Quaaaaxxan... You don't have to put on the red light...

(This is, I'll admit, dirty earworm tactics to make you all pronounce it like I do.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mike Carroll

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2015, 11:19:49 PM

(This is, I'll admit, dirty earworm tactics to make you all pronounce it like I do.)

That's how I pronounce it too...
P.S.: Beat you to that joke by ten years!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 18 November, 2015, 11:47:50 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2015, 11:19:49 PM

That's how I pronounce it too...
P.S.: Beat you to that joke by ten years!

You win this one, Carroll  ;)

Mardroid

To my mind 'ua' is pronounced "wa"* , or possibly "wah" (although that pronunciation never occurred to me on looking at the words but I can see how an 'a" could be pronounced "ah").

It never occurred to me it would be pronounced "woh" or "wo". There is no letter 'o' in the word after all.

So its been the duck noise all the time for me. Which granted isn't that long, me being a relative newbie.

*Or it could be "ooa" ,  'u' sounding like "oo" like the two 'u's in 'vacuum' but that sounds almost the same as "wa".

ming

In a quandary, I danced a quadroon then bivouacked in quagmire near an aquafarm, with some Squaxx on Quaxxann.

I do love this thread.  Thanks, all.

Mardroid

Okay, good point with the first two. I never thought of those. Aquafarm .... I would pronounce "achwahfahrm"*
*Although I think the " a" as "ah" might be a London accent thing. Never "aquohfarm".

Thinking about it, from a pronunciation point of view,  English is kind of complicated, isn't it?

Mardroid

"Squad." Skwod.

Now I'm thinking of them too. Heh.

With the "keh" sound of a 'c', 'k' or an 'x'*, I would always pronounce a proceeding 'a' as in 'and' though. But I get where you sqoxans are coming from now. ;-)

* At least it's part of the x sound . xs...

Fungus

This one might just be coincidence...
Aquila. A killer (harden the 'qu').

Magnetica

I say them like Tordelback as well. It never occurred to me there could be another way.