Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed sixth episode Conrad continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with issues 16-18 of Action! This time Hookjaw is ready for his close up, Lefty is ready to score, Dredger is ready to quit, and the Running Man is ready to take a break!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Also, there's still time to contribute a question to our upcoming AMA episode! We'd love to A your Qs!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and forty-third episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 455-458 of 2000AD, covering February of 1986. This week there's a new Chief Judge in Mega-City One, the god awakes in the Tomb of Terror, the Dave Cluck Five arrives on the Speedo Ghost, the Strontium Dogs fight trolls, and Halo Jones is back in the army!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

Arh that image is so burnt into my mind. I'm not Belardinelli's biggest fan but Ace Trucking is the perfect strip for him and I remember being so blown away by this picture and stirring at it for ages.

Anyway superb show as ever you folks. A little additional background that I don't think you picked up on. Adrian Cockroach is based, at least as a starting point on 'The Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4' and subsequent books by Sue Townsend. It was massive in the UK back in the day and was the diary and musing of a 13 year old boy, not an actual mole alas. I loved the books as a boy.

Also interesting to note that while John Higgins didn't do much in 2000ad prior to this point his first work in the Prog was actually the cover of Prog 43!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 January, 2019, 07:40:41 AM
Anyway superb show as ever you folks. A little additional background that I don't think you picked up on. Adrian Cockroach is based, at least as a starting point on 'The Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4' and subsequent books by Sue Townsend. It was massive in the UK back in the day and was the diary and musing of a 13 year old boy, not an actual mole alas. I loved the books as a boy.

Funnily enough currently being serialised on Radio Four (one of the subsequent books): Adrian Mole: the Cappuccino Years.

Funt Solo

Every time I use super glue I recall that Adrian Mole super-glued a model airplane to his nose whilst experimenting with sniffing.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

SpaceSpinner2000

Yeah I missed a really embarrassing amount of references this episode! Bad times indeed!

SpaceSpinner2000

In a special bonus episode Fox and Conrad discuss that the year in thrills in a wide-ranging discussion about 2000AD from the years 1982 to 1985! It's a specifically unstructured conversation, with a surprising amount of Mean Arena discussion. After that we go to your questions! You asked us anything and we're doing our best to A your Qs, with very interesting results.

Also, today we're saddened by the death of classic Judge Dredd artist Ron Smith. We'll talk more about him as a creator on the show, but for now we send condolences to his family and hope he rests in peace.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad, that was great fun - really good.

One thing that was touched on in the show was the enormous amount of work that goes into this podcast. I think this shows through in the quality and consistent frequency of the content and this is very much appreciated. It was nice that Fox commented on Conrads hard working dedication and honest nature as I think this does shine through. Thank you ever-so-much Conrad!

The 90s - I wasn't there with the prog as I stopped reading due to life (University, job, etc) rather than due to quality. I have bought the JD Case Files and saw a rough patch from the 90's volumes but they are not all bad. I picked up Luke Kirby from the recent sale and that is great and Sinister Dexter and Nikolai Dante easily match or better classic strips like Rogue Trooper or Ace Trucking. So, yes, you are right there will be good and bad when you get there.

Films / TV adaptions - This was discussed a lot and there is enthusiasm on this board too for this. I am happy for the comics to stay as comics, being probably the only person on this board who hasn't seen the 2012 Dredd film. I love the Sherlock Holmes books and always avoid any tv/film adaptions, not because of any concerns over quality but because the books are good enough for me and they are a direct thing between Conan Doyle and the reader.
Comics are similar for me, with two creators having their story reach you directly. When they mix in comedy with the action I like to think the writer and artist had a good laugh about it and agreed it would be great to put it in, and I like it when an artist sneaks in little things on the side that probably weren't in the script.

Leigh S

I can't wait for the 90s, as I think the Podcast will enter a Golden Age!  So much to talk about, good and bad, with so much more to discuss - and in podcast time, we will have what? - maybe a tad over a year of strong wobble? 91 to 95? The gems will shine, illuminating the awful - fun times!

The Monarch

isn't a more modern version of death planet the first story of zombo

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 12 January, 2019, 09:01:42 AM
One thing that was touched on in the show was the enormous amount of work that goes into this podcast. I think this shows through in the quality and consistent frequency of the content and this is very much appreciated. It was nice that Fox commented on Conrads hard working dedication and honest nature as I think this does shine through. Thank you ever-so-much Conrad!

You're very welcome, I love doing the show, so its no bother at all!

Quote from: Leigh S on 12 January, 2019, 09:14:40 AM
I can't wait for the 90s, as I think the Podcast will enter a Golden Age!  So much to talk about, good and bad, with so much more to discuss - and in podcast time, we will have what? - maybe a tad over a year of strong wobble? 91 to 95? The gems will shine, illuminating the awful - fun times!

Yeah, based on our current schedule a year of progs takes 13 months (though that will go up to 15 in 1988 when two new Specials are added). So the years everyone dreads (Dredds?) will be a bit more than a calendar year, probably mid 2020 to 2021 (which still seem like SciFi years to me).

Quote from: The Monarch on 12 January, 2019, 12:41:50 PM
isn't a more modern version of death planet the first story of zombo

I'll take your word for it, Zombo is squarely in the undiscovered thrill zone for me! :D

Colin YNWA

Listened to this laast night - brilliant fun, just brilliant. Can you both be my cooler big brothers?*

Sorry I didn't get a question in this time but defo know what I will ask next time. So now you have all the motivation you can possibly need to do this again for 2019.

*Well yes I am markedly older than you both but we don't let reality get in the way of daft desire these days do we!

AlexF

I have to confess that one reason I love this show so much is that you broadly agree with my own opinion of virtually every strip,* and who doesn't love an echo chamber. It's enough to make me believe there's some objective truth in critical evaluation of comics. So I'm waiting to see if that continues into the delightful 90s, which I have much fondness for.

*ie all of it is is super fun. Minor disagreements: I've little love for Helltrekkers, even the art, and I have a strong love for the early days of Rogue Trooper, which you both seemed to like less than the mid-period stuff. I think we can all agree it started tailing off around the time of Colonel Kovert.

The hard work is always appreciated, and as someone who maintains single blog on which I barely manage one post per month, the nailed on weekly / bi-weekly schedule is a wonder to behold!

Andy B

Who knows - you guys might like the 90s. Already, you're enjoying things like Mean Team and The Dopplegarp, more than I did at the time. Maybe it's a factor that a lot of the original readership (who are now middle aged guys like me) were getting into their late teens, going to college, and just thought they were too cool for 90s 2000AD.

It'll be fascinating to get your take on it. And like others have said, there's usually at least one really good thing going on: plus, the Megazine. I should have asked: are you planning to cover that? And if so, what does that 21.69% go down to..?  :D

(PS: how do you pronounce 'buoyant'?)