Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: auxlen on 16 March, 2018, 11:01:15 PM
surprisingly looking forward to this, hope its a fun romp without whatever it was that spoiled the last Jedi for me....

Well, they literally can't kill the character most of the audience are going to the movie to see, so I imagine you'll get along with it just fine.

JOE SOAP

Link Prime

Due to clinically diagnosed Star Wars Apathy I managed to avoid even the trailer for this until I was snared in a cinema seat yesterday morning.

Pre-The Last Jedi I'd probably have been air punching my way from smile to grin, now that the veil has been lifted it looks like a loada pointless tosh.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 April, 2018, 01:15:31 PM
... now that the veil has been lifted it looks like a loada pointless tosh.

Heh, I'm in the opposite camp, TLJ re-energised my Star Wars enthusiasms, and I still think this looks like a load of pointless tosh.  What remains to be seen is whether that pointless tosh is of the enjoyable variety: it might (might) be nice to have a SW film where the fate of all that is good in the universe isn't at stake. 

As for the aesthetic hinted at by the Denny's commercial, it seems a bit more Maz's Castle than Chalmun's Cantina, but it doesn't look bad - and I did enjoy the throat-singing.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Most blockbusters can be boiled down to pointless enjoyable tosh now I think about it!

Pyroxian

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 03 April, 2018, 02:48:35 PM
Most blockbusters can be boiled down to pointless enjoyable tosh now I think about it!

Pretty much, but sometimes I just want to be able to forget about the real world for a couple of hours and be whisked away to be witness to an amazing visual spectacle.

radiator

Quoteit might (might) be nice to have a SW film where the fate of all that is good in the universe isn't at stake. 

They don't have the confidence to do 'small' Star Wars stories though. Mark my words - Solo will end with the customary huge scale, wildly over the top cgi and explosions space/ground battle/saving the planet/galaxy scenario (which will no doubt end up harming/diminishing a character that has been established to be a bit of a blowhard prior to the events of the original movie).

TordelBack

I'd love to contradict any of that, Radiator,  but I'd say you're most likely bang on there. Still, we journey ever in hope.

JOE SOAP

Colin YNWA

My whines are two fold:

1. He even gets the gun.
2. Dispite myself and the fact it looks like its a box ticking exercise... well damn it yes, yes its hard to deny that looks ace.

DrRocka

Not feeling it, myself. The whole thing just looks pointless. Still, nobody's forcing (!) me to see it, so I doubt I'll bother.
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

Emilia Clarke's delivery seems very flat (but that may be to do with a posh accent adopted for whatever scam she's running... :think:), Fleabag's droid seems awfully human, but the rest does indeed look sharp: Lando in particular.  Still struggling to dredge up ANY enthusiasm for the concept itself, but happy to see that the execution looks suitably professional, and the music choices so far seem to be upbeat and fun rather than portending DOOM FOR THE GALAXY, which is refreshing.

dweezil2

Quote from: DrRocka on 09 April, 2018, 10:13:48 AM
Not feeling it, myself. The whole thing just looks pointless. Still, nobody's forcing (!) me to see it, so I doubt I'll bother.

Have to say, I'm not really feeling it either-it all seems rather lifeless and by the numbers.
Still, I hope to be proved otherwise and Disney have brainwashed me into seeing every Star Wars movie until the end of time, so I'm sure I'll see it.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

Say what you like about it, but the film is taking a massive gamble in casting a straight white male as the lead of a Star Wars film.