Main Menu

100 bullets

Started by Devons Daddy, 11 January, 2009, 01:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

100 Bullets
i have only recently got into this incredible series,

based on a review i read in the megazine way back. i got volume 1 and was enthralled.
over christmas i bought 2-4 it is outstanding!

should i leave it now, as it goes down hill or should i stay the course. how many volumes are there presently anyway.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

radiator

There are currently 12 collections, with a thirteenth coming this summer. Get them all, they're all great! Don't really know what you mean about going downhill? Is that the general consensus?

Eduardo Risso is my favourite comic artist by far - would love to see him do Dredd or Button Man!

The titles of the collections are all a play on their number in sequence (except volume 3)

1. First Shot, Last Call
2. Split Second Chance
3. Hang Up on the Hang Low
4. A Forgone Tomorrow
5. The Counterfifth Detective
6. Six Feet Under the Gun
7. (Seven) Samurai
8. The Hard Way (A score of Eight in dice games)
9. Strychnine Lives
10. Decayed (Decade)
11. Once Upon a Crime (Once being Spanish for eleven)
12. Dirty (Dozen)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "radiator"The titles of the collections are all a play on their number in sequence (except volume 3)

The title "Hang up on the hang low" does describe the shape of the letter 3.

The Charm is a better title though.

Mikey

DD - 100 Bullets is aces, keep buying!

I got Once Upon a Crime recently and intend to start from the beginning again so's i can hit it running...

And Risso would be great for Dredd. Or Sinister Dexter?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: "Mikey"Risso would be great for Dredd. Or Sinister Dexter?

M.

I keep thinking Anthony Williams is doing a Risso impression of sorts on SinDex. Something about the linework.

I like 100 Bullets as well. DD if you like 100 Bullets, you'll love Criminal. It has the added bonus of ex-art droid Sean Phillips at the top of his game.

satchmo

I find myself taking 100 Bullets for granted sometimes, but now it's nearing the end I've started a readathon from the beginning, and it is brilliant. A classic example of writer+artist=magic.

radiator

I've read all the books multiple times, but still have trouble remembering who's on what side etc!

When I was at uni I knew loads of people that were into comics, but none of them could appreciate the work of Risso - because its a bit 'cartoony' and not 'detailed' enough. Fools!

I guess I take 100 Bullets for granted too - since Preacher and Transmetropolitan have ended its the only US book I follow. The likes of Fables and The Exterminators just haven't held my attention at all.

satchmo

I was just ranting to someone about that the other day, how simplicity doesn't mean it's simple. Risso is a master storyteller and I'd love to see his take on Dredd.

Pete Wells

So, I see this has ended now. I've got all the graphic novels to date so, without spoilerage, does it have a satisfying ending? I'm sure it will.

Colin YNWA

In case you're not aware yet the creative team behind 100 Bullets is one of the teams behind Wednesday Comics from DC doing a Batman story.

//http://dcublog.dccomics.com/2009/04/16/get-your-first-look-at-wednesday-comics/

Wednesday Comics just looks better and better.

JOE SOAP

I'm waiting for the last collected volume, then I begin again.

radiator

Yep, one more trade to go - Wilt, which is out sometime this summer I think. Should be a bit of a monster - it collects all of the 12 or so remaining episodes.... can't wait!

I should also not let this thread continue without showing some love for the series' cover artist Dave Johnson - his covers are just mind-blowingly good..

Kerrin

I just finished 'Split Second Chance' last night. 'Kin awesome. Eduardo Risso is a class act, his use of shadow and silhouette are brilliant and his line work is super clean.

Ordered 'Hang up on the hang low' just now.

I'm rather pleased I've got so many more still to read.

radiator

This just popped up on Amazon.com - a pre-order (due Oct 2011) for a 600pg hardback collection of the first 25 or so issues of 100 Bullets all under one cover (presumably 4 volumes in total will collect all 100 issues) - and all for $50 - though Amazon's price is closer to $30!

Insane - I'd actually be tempted to sell all my paperbacks and upgrade to these beauties...

http://www.amazon.com/100-Bullets-Book-Brian-Azzarello/dp/1401232019/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303160784&sr=1-2

Kerrin