Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Rogue Trooper volume 2: love that cover, one of my favourites of the series so far. I enjoyed this volume more than the first one, as it fleshes out Rogue, his buddies and the world. Liked the humour of Fort Neuro, and the great art throughout. A winner.

athorist

I'm kind of liking Ace Trucking as well. I'm guessing the main reason they don't have the second story is the different artist (Ian Gibson). It can't be for quality, because that's subjective, and they printed the whole of Robo-Hunter  :P

Judge Dredd is fine, I've got about half of it and I only read the Kenny Who? ones so far. But I thought the third story was a bit weak - [spoiler]I would've ended it by revealing that his success was just another comic, and he lost the case[/spoiler]. I just didn't buy the ending.

My favourite series so far is probably Nikolai Dante, but definitely more hits than misses.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Fungus

Disappointed an Ace Trucking story was left out. Had I known I would have skipped this and stuck to the progs. It's not claimed 'complete' but I thought it was a fair assumption.
Was the Gibson story in the impossible-to-find Rebellion collection?

IndigoPrime

As far as I recall, the Rebellion collections are complete. They're also phone books. The UC books don't have the page counts so something has to be cut.

sintec

2 vols for Ace meant that we were never going to get the complete collection as that would be ~650 pages based on the previous 2 collected volumes. I reckon we're going to be ~150 pages short of complete given the usual page counts on these Hachette volumes so I'd expect even more cuts from volume 2. It sounds like most people felt the stories started going off the boil in later years though so maybe that's for the best,  if annoying for any completionists.

That Rouge cover does look gorgeous. I'm looking forward to that one. The first volume was another one that I was surprised to find I really enjoyed.

IndigoPrime

Compared to the first Rebellion volume (320pp), the Hachette collection is short 85 pages of strip, according to Barney. 205 pages of strip are included. Projecting that forward, you could get the rest of the Belardinelli strips, with the exception of The Doppelgarp and The Garpetbaggers, in roughly the same page count. The Croakside Trip was also a nicely blackly comic ending for the strip, although I do also have a soft spot for The Homecoming, in the 1989 annual. Having that in colour would be lovely. (The b+w repro in the original Rebellion phone books is, unsurprisingly, not great.)

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: sintec on 06 July, 2018, 08:14:54 AM
That Rouge cover does look gorgeous.

Our make-up loving infantryman strikes again.  ;)

sintec

The rouge just looks so good against his blue skin.

Tomwe

Really keen to get to that Skizz / DR & Quinch one. So much Alan Moore goodness!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tomwe on 13 July, 2018, 11:47:42 AM
Really keen to get to that Skizz / DR & Quinch one. So much Alan Moore goodness!

Praying it includes the Agony Pages (in colour)!
@jamesfeistdraws

Southstreeter

What's in vol 2 of the ABCs? Does it include Kronicles of Kaos and Hellbringer?

IndigoPrime

Half of the Black Hole will be in that book, remember.

Tomwe

Quote from: Southstreeter on 13 July, 2018, 04:35:57 PM
What's in vol 2 of the ABCs? Does it include Kronicles of Kaos and Hellbringer?

Yes, but only Hellbringer: Book 1.

Covers progs 573-581, 750-757, 780-784, 787-790, 904-911.

Book 2 is 964-971.

The SMS black hole stuff is significantly different to that in MEK Files 1, so for that it was worth the double-dip.

sintec

It's a shame the keep having to split the ABC Warriors stories over multiple books.