Main Menu

Dreddcon VI News Thread...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 01 October, 2005, 05:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron Virgo

Y'know Mark, that's the first sensible thing I've ever read in your usual Welsh babblings.

House of Usher

Not at all sure what this has to do with news from Dreddcon, but I don't know what Carnivale is, and I have never watched a single episode of The Sopranos.
STRIKE !!!

Rob Spalding

The news I got from Ian Edgington was that he and D'Israeli were going to start work on the sequel to Scarlet Traces once they are don with the online War of the Worlds.
He even showed me some of the art for it and it was fantabulous!
Dunno where/who is going to publish, but as Scarlet Traces cropped up in the Meg I'm hopeful.

DavidXBrunt

Rio De Fideldo

Well I survived my first Dreddcon.

Like I do here I pretty much lurked not really knowing what was supposed to happen. I was in a black tracky top with a huge sketch pad if that helps anyone place my face.

I was slightly confused by the format of the day despite having a schedule of events. I think I was expecting Tharg to swing open the doors welcoming us to Dreddcon before telling us what to expect from the day. As it was it was a bit of a free for all.

I bought loads of back issues which was good. I bought a copy of Zarjaz 0 which on the journey from Oxford to Scarborough I lost. I listened to Bryan Talbot for a bit. Queued next to David X Brunt,Finigan Sinister and Mini-Bolt for sketches. Saw a HUGE VC spoiler. Went to the pub for lunch with my wife and baby girl. She wanted to get a photo of Kitty with Tharg but didn't recognise the Mighty One! She thought the girl who had come dressed as Venus Bluegenes was Tharg's girlfriend. I had to laugh.

I returned after lunch to basically queue for more sketches before having to leave at 4.30 after my wife had reached comic convention overload.

I would loved to have known who more of the faces there were.

Who was the man with the 2000ad diary in the queue for Jock who was trying to get it signed by all the artists in it? He also had a stainless steel role playing game.

Who were the bald headed twins?

Who was the man talking loudly about the fact that no fiction exists in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

A good time was had by me.

House of Usher

Who was the man talking loudly about the fact that no fiction exists in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Hey, I was NOT talking loudly! There weren't many people in the room and it had gone quite quiet by then...

;-)
STRIKE !!!

+rufus+

That'll be the Turner Twins, Jon and Steve, too of the nicest blokes you could meet!
:-) Rufus

Rio De Fideldo

House of Usher.You're quite right it had emptied a lot by then. Everyone was starting to look tired and emotional.

Rufus,Do the Turner Twins log on here at all.

Richmond Clements

Are they the twins that were showing their art at Bristol?

If so, they are very good.

House of Usher

Here's another League of Extraordinary conundrum. I read a comment in print that in Alan Moore's version of H.G. Wells's Martian invasion, the Nautilus takes the place of the ironclad Thunderchild.

This is plainly wrong. Firstly, Alan Moore took great pain to appear to integrate every fictional narrative into his League comics, so the War of the Worlds narrative would have been compromised by excising Thunderchild from it; and secondly, the Nautilus was protecting central London from the Martian fighting machines, and was too far up the Thames to have taken the place of Thunderchild, which would have been engaging the enemy much further downriver at some point on the coast.

I'm glad to have cleared that one up...
STRIKE !!!

Oddboy

Alan Moore took great pain to appear to integrate every fictional narrative into his League comics

Acording to League Mina, she & her husband didn't have any further intimate relations after the Dracula incident... but at the end of the book, she & J Harker have a son.
Better set your phaser to stun.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Oddboy

House of Usher

Anyway, the presence of Captain Nemo's Nautilus doesn't presuppose the absence of Thunderchild, regardless of what the unnnamed commentator I referred to may think.
STRIKE !!!

Oddboy

No, absolutely.

Moore did cover a lot of ground to get the fictional histories correct in League - but he did change some bits to fit his own vision.