Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

As we are firmly in the grip of the festive schedules I thought it worth starting a thread where people can post any genre treats they've spotted in their TV guides to help others navigate through what is otherwise the loose bowel of televisual times. Then we can keep it going on a rolling basis.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

What caught my eye was BBC2's late night vintage horror films that I'll be settling down in front of the boob tube to watch (as there is a lack of actual boobs on the box, not counting Giles Brandreth), note that they are technically on in the early hours of the next day but count as the day mentioned for the purposes of TV schedules:

• Cat People (1942) produced by Val Lewton and directed by Jacques Tourneur - Boxing Day 1.10 am BBC2
  • I Walked with a Zombie (1943) produced by Val Lewton and directed by Jacques Tourneur - Tuesday 27th 1.30 am BBC2
  • The Leopard Man (1943) produced by Val Lewton and directed by Jacques Tourneur - Wednesday 28th 1.30 am BBC2
  • The Body Snatcher (1945) produced by Val Lewton and directed by Robert Wise with Boris Karloff - Thursday 29th 1.30 am BBC2
  • The Curse of the Cat People (1944) sequel, produced by Val Lewton and directed by Robert Wise - Friday 30th 1.25 am BBC2

Pity they couldn't do a longer run of Newton's films to include more of them, but I've seen Isle of the Dead a couple of times and I do have The Ghost Ship on DVD, so I might throw that on at some point - keep the theme going.

I wish the BBC would do more themed evenings like that.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

mogzilla

hawk the slayer was on horror channel today!!! still crap and ace in equal measures

radiator

BBC3 have been showing Simon Amstell's 'Do Nothing' live show recently, and it's currently available to view on iPlayer.

Went to see this show live last year, and enjoyed seeing it again on the tv.

Roger Godpleton

Cartoons everywhere I see. I enjoyed seeing Kung Fu Panda 1 once again.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Goaty

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 25 December, 2011, 03:52:03 PM
Cartoons everywhere I see. I enjoyed seeing Kung Fu Panda 1 once again.

Your not wrong, as it's been Kung Fu Panda, Monsters Vs Aliens, Ratatouille on BBC1.
The Magic Roundabout, The Sword in the Stone on BBC2.
Aladdin and Happy Feet on ITV1!!

Also Megamind on Sky Movies, ( I enjoy that!)

Emperor

Timecrimes (2007) on Film Four tonight at 23.45.

Spikes

A couple of old school classics on Film 4 tonight - The French Connection (starting @ 23:20) and The Conversation, straight after. Shall stay up and watch The French Connection at least - even though i have both on dvd.

Dandontdare

You ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

Spikes

Emperor

Nature's Weirdest Events - on BBC2 now and a second episode from 20:00-21:00 tomorrow - I reckon kids' love it as it is suitably odd and unpleasant.

TordelBack

Quote from: Emperor on 03 January, 2012, 08:38:18 PM
Nature's Weirdest Events - on BBC2 now and a second episode from 20:00-21:00 tomorrow - I reckon kids' love it as it is suitably odd and unpleasant.

Brilliant stuff - watching it now.  The truth about Locustsofdeath is being revealed as I type!

Emperor

Consistently a bit late here but Thirteen: The Conspiracy is a TV miniseries that has just started on five, it is based on the Franco-Belgian comic XIII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII_%28miniseries%29

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2012, 08:44:40 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 03 January, 2012, 08:38:18 PM

Brilliant stuff - watching it now.  The truth about Locustsofdeath is being revealed as I type!

I've been taking notes, appears he is driven by cannibalism.  :o

Daveycandlish

People of this parish may be interested in Eternal Law on ITV1 at 9pm tonight - angels as lawyers. In York.
Starring Sam West and created by the duo behind Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes

Must be worth a look
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 05 January, 2012, 07:01:39 PM
People of this parish may be interested in Eternal Law on ITV1 at 9pm tonight - angels as lawyers. In York.
Starring Sam West and created by the duo behind Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes

Must be worth a look

okay, so who do I sue to get that hour of my life back? One of the most misguided wastes of videotape I've ever seen. It made Heartbeat look like an edgy crime drama, and the Vicar of Dibley a theological masterpiece. Run screaming from the room if anyone tries to get you to watch this pap.