Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

You're not the first person I've heard say that Dr X, people I know who loved the first one are complaining that the stealth is way too unforgiving (too tough to predict what the AI will or won't spot and that they're way too observant). It sounds a bit frustrating and has put me off a little, despite really liking the first game. Will still give it a go at some point though.

On a vaguely similar assassinish note I picked up the episodic Hitman game from last year and tried the first mission. Loved it, and wound up playing through that mission half a dozen times trying different things and going for all the challenges and variations. The episodic release didn't really appeal to me at the time, but if all the missions have that level of replayability then it makes a ton of sense. Getting an episode and really milking it over the course of a month instead of just moving onto the next story chapter is a really cool way of playing, and perfect for Hitman.

It's all released now but I might limit myself to an episode a month just to get that experience!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 January, 2017, 09:36:06 AM

You're not the first person I've heard say that Dr X, people I know who loved the first one are complaining that the stealth is way too unforgiving (too tough to predict what the AI will or won't spot and that they're way too observant). It sounds a bit frustrating and has put me off a little, despite really liking the first game. Will still give it a go at some point though.

I've played another few hours (I'm just about done the third level, out of ten, on hard). I think the issue is that the detection is horizontal. The game wants you to sneak up and over. Me, I think I'll just kill 'em all.
Lock up your spoons!

Satanist

I'm away on business at the moment (hence all the posts) so have started Chrono Trigger on the DS for the umpteenth time. I adore this game but have never completed it, even on the SNES but am determined this is the time.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Greg M.

Quote from: Satanist on 20 January, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
I'm away on business at the moment (hence all the posts) so have started Chrono Trigger on the DS for the umpteenth time. I adore this game but have never completed it, even on the SNES but am determined this is the time.

Probably my favourite game ever. Great characters (especially Frog), great fighting / encounter system, superb visuals for its day - and incredibly atmospheric (with a top-notch soundtrack.) Virtually perfect.

shaolin_monkey

Aargh! ChronoTrigger was too impenetrable for me. I got lost very quickly and ended up going round in circles not having a clue what I was supposed to be doing. That kills a game very quickly for me.

I've been sucked back into Skyrim recently, playing thrips ales PS4 version with all the add-ons. Damn, it's good. I can lose five hours at a time to that game!!!

Satanist

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 25 January, 2017, 08:06:39 AM
Aargh! ChronoTrigger was too impenetrable for me. I got lost very quickly and ended up going round in circles not having a clue what I was supposed to be doing. That kills a game very quickly for me.

Yeah this is why this is my umpteenth attempt at it but I have to say its been very well signposted so far and I *think* I'm now as far as I've ever been (just about to travel through time and see what's behind those magic doors/in those magic boxes.

The visuals hold up incredibly well on the small DS screen and the story is funny, interesting and very creative for and old JRPG. Have to say if it continues this way I suspect it going to find itself in my top 10.

I, Cosh

It's only taken me around nine months to get platinum on Bloodborne. Finally I have some spare time to play... Bloodborne! On hard.
We never really die.

Satanist

Quote from: I, Cosh on 25 January, 2017, 09:03:50 AM
It's only taken me around nine months to get platinum on Bloodborne. Finally I have some spare time to play... Bloodborne! On hard.

Got Gud!!! Is this your 4th playthrough, Shadows of Yarnham  >:(

Get invading and ruin someones day  :lol:

sheldipez

Recently finished the latest Call of Duty which I enjoyed more than other people (I do prefer sci-fi over the normal military theme so that helps) and I liked how they did a Rogue One with a sarcastic robot and [spoiler]everyone dies heriocally at the end[/spoiler].

And now moved onto something completely different with Final Fantasy IX. Never played it before so thought I'd change that. Four hours in and it seems alright. Four hours in a FF game though is like 15 minutes in a normal game (I am still getting tutorials thrown at me).

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 20 January, 2017, 03:31:45 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 20 January, 2017, 02:41:41 PM

Probably my favourite game ever. Great characters (especially Frog), great fighting / encounter system, superb visuals for its day - and incredibly atmospheric (with a top-notch soundtrack.) Virtually perfect.

Never played Chrono Trigger in my life- will have to get in on VC.

dweezil2

Picked up Watch Dogs on the Wii U on the cheap and currently having considerable fun with it.

Not sure what the other versions are like but although it's rather glitchy and the driving sections are sluggish as hell, it's still worth just over a tenner of anyone's money and it's the only GTA like game the Wii U will ever see.

https://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGamesp1e8rmfa26/Watch-Dogs
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheldipez

Quote from: dweezil2 on 25 January, 2017, 09:57:21 PM
Picked up Watch Dogs on the Wii U on the cheap and currently having considerable fun with it.

Not sure what the other versions are like but although it's rather glitchy and the driving sections are sluggish as hell, it's still worth just over a tenner of anyone's money and it's the only GTA like game the Wii U will ever see.

https://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGamesp1e8rmfa26/Watch-Dogs

I played it not so long ago on PS4 (so had the very latest patches installed) and was very glitchy too, few missions I had to restart mid way through as a glitch had broke the game (for example there's one bit on the game where you go to a secret base via climbing into a shipping container and hitting a button, the container is meant to move to it's destination then you press the door open button when stopped, no matter how many times I pressed the button either nothing would happen or your guy would phase through the wall then back into the container. Much hilarity). So it's not isolated to the WiiU version!

Pegasus P Artichoke

Finished Splatterhouse

It didn't reinvent the wheel or anything but still an enjoyable game, perfect for those half hour bursts when I can fit gaming time in. You know what type of game it is when a collectable are pictures of your girlfriend that she obviously sent in the strictest of confidence.

The game also unlocks the original three splatterhouse arcade games which brings back the memories and I think this is the first time the first one has been available out with the arcade...I think.

Now playing Bioshock and its blooming good indeed, plasmid to the face then buckshot. Get in
We'll give them back their heroes

NapalmKev

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.

Outstanding game! The graphics are pretty much excellent throughout and the story is very good. My only complaint would be that, for seasoned gamers, it isn't exactly rock-hard, unless your playing madhouse mode (Hard).

It's a return to form for the series, easily surpassing the last two. And there's some free content coming in March.

Heartily recommended!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Pete Wells

Just reading through this page and wanted to add my tuppence worth on a couple of games. Firstly, Watchdogs, which is one of my favourite games ever.  Please stick with it, even if it's just for the 'lone hero has to make his way to the top of a gang-filled high rise building to confront a drug lord' mission.  This was as close to a 2012 Dredd game it think we'll ever get and it was awesome!

Secondly:
Quote from: sheldipez on 25 January, 2017, 03:50:39 PM
Recently finished the latest Call of Duty which I enjoyed more than other people (I do prefer sci-fi over the normal military theme so that helps) and I liked how they did a Rogue One with a sarcastic robot and [spoiler]everyone dies heriocally at the end[/spoiler].

I agree! I picked this up for £13 at ASDA and I really did enjoy it. It's very Star Wars in its scope and feel with great aerial dogfights and absolutely epic ground based missions. The missions are seamlessly multi-part too, for example, in one I had to blow up a fuel tower on the Saturn moon of Titan (sadly no bad judges were there.) This consisted of a cool stealthy bit where I had to bypass or snipe bad guys until I got to a rendezvous point, followed by a big 'go loud' section with frantic combat against humans, mecs and power robot thingies, a desperate dash across the surface of the base with a leaking spacesuit, before jumping into my fighter to blow up a load of ships and defences, landing on a platform, scuppering the failsafes then jumping back into my ship and blowing the base to kingdom come! To top it off, when I re-entered space to dock with my warship, the bad guys' destroyer materialised from hyperspace forcing a desperate flight back before they destroyed my carrier and the crew. Phew!

As you can imagine, the production values are spot on. I can see why this didn't appeal to the COD crowd as it's so far removed from previous games, but for us sci-fi nerds, it's ace! Recommended if you can get it cheap.