Main Menu

Meg 375: Crazy Train

Started by IndigoPrime, 13 August, 2016, 11:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

I wouldn't worry too much about the rejuve issue. I imagine it will never be referenced again, and other artists will continue to depict Dredd as an ageing, scarred monstrosity.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

dweezil2

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 August, 2016, 11:41:11 AM

As for reboots in general, I'm not against them when they work. Fr1day was fine for that very first run, but then went very wrong when Gibbons departed. And the IDW Rogue was an excellent foundation to my mind.

Another thumbs up for the IDW Rogue Trooper from me.

Real shame that it didn't sell in any great numbers as I would of loved an ongoing series!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Cyber-Matt

Quote from: Spaceghost on 23 August, 2016, 09:42:09 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the rejuve issue. I imagine it will never be referenced again, and other artists will continue to depict Dredd as an ageing, scarred monstrosity.

As Mike pointed out when he pitched the story, Chief Judge Goodman is shown leaving a rejuvenation clinic 'after his monthly treatment' in the first panel of the first page of The Day the Law Died. So there is certainly historical precedent for Judges of a certain age receiving this kind of rejuve.

Fungus

Interesting. Puts The Long Walk in a different light, a question of attitude (eg. Minty) or "extreme" age... Also: well done that Carroll droid  :)

Spaceghost

Quote from: Cyber-Matt on 23 August, 2016, 01:30:31 PM

As Mike pointed out when he pitched the story, Chief Judge Goodman is shown leaving a rejuvenation clinic 'after his monthly treatment' in the first panel of the first page of The Day the Law Died. So there is certainly historical precedent for Judges of a certain age receiving this kind of rejuve.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I don't have a problem with Dredd receiving the treatment, and I enjoyed the story, I just couldn't imagine that a memo had gone out letting all prospective Dredd artists know that they should draw him looking a bit younger from now on.

I suppose the acid test will be if and when Leigh Gallagher draws the old bugger again, with or without his trademark prune face. 
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Cyber-Matt on 23 August, 2016, 01:30:31 PM

Understandable, but I'm with TB on this one. IMHO, and as a Grumpy Old Fecker myself, it was the aging process and Dredd's reaction to it that gave the last decade of Dredd it's most interesting aspects, I feel kinda cheated by this 'rejuve' a bit like the DC/Marvel  'oh he's dead, oh he's alive again' slock.

I've always found the Car-Roll droid to be one of our best writers and I'm sure that will continue, however a spritely Stoney-Face is the last thing I want to see.
DDT did a job on me

M.I.K.

I think we can assume that there's only so much a rejuve can do, otherwise there'd be no point in illegal Stookie gland use and full body transplants for rich eldsters.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: M.I.K. on 23 August, 2016, 04:30:55 PM
I think we can assume that there's only so much a rejuve can do, otherwise there'd be no point in illegal Stookie gland use and full body transplants for rich eldsters.

That was the general state or limit of rejuvenation until this month's Meg story. Now that they can rebuild organs it's a different ball-game.

Frank

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 August, 2016, 08:38:31 AM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 23 August, 2016, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 23 August, 2016, 04:30:55 PM
there's only so much a rejuve can do, otherwise there'd be no point in illegal Stookie gland use and full body transplants

I don't have a problem with Dredd receiving the treatment

I've no problem at all with Dredd being given an annual medical refresh

All of the above; just felt a little cursory.

I can see the thinking behind that - like ripping off a plaster, it's better if you do it quickly and move on - and doing it in the Megazine means most readers will hear about it second hand, as something that already happened*, without suffering the wailing of teeth witnessed above.

It's a bit rubbish, but that's it done now.

* I bet folk will still be creating threads asking how the problem of Dredd's ageing should be addressed for years.

JOE SOAP

What surprises me is that no one noticed we have clear evidence Dredd has a sex-shooter -

Where's the 'expected' out-cry about that?

I, Cosh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 August, 2016, 06:18:42 PM
What surprises me is that no one noticed we have clear evidence Dredd has a sex-shooter -

Where's the 'expected' out-cry about that?
Are you sure?
Quote from: eamonn1961 on 14 August, 2016, 09:58:09 AM
Do we catch a brief glimpse of a denuded little Joe in Carousel?
We never really die.

Frank

No foreskin. Shalom, Joseph.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Butch on 23 August, 2016, 06:25:26 PM
No foreskin. Shalom, Joseph.

Though plenty of helmet, naturally.

Hawkmumbler

Not often we get to see Dredds night stick...

Jim_Campbell

I'll confess to being mildly amused by the hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing over the whole 'Dredd ages in real-time' thing, whilst there is a considerable murmur of discontent over the fact that an artist has chosen to depict Anderson as if she might actually be a woman in her 50s.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.