Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I'm looking forward to watching Bright over the Cmas holiday - I thought it looked pretty good from the trailer.
If anything's ever going to be the 'new Star Wars' (unlikely) I'd like it to be the remake of Nightbreed. Clive Barker always intended the original to be to the horror genre what Star Wars is to sci-fI/fantasy.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 December, 2017, 09:59:09 PM
I know this isn't really what some would call a quote-unquote "high bar" but Landis hasn't raped anyone so Bright is a must-see for me.

wah wah wah waaaahhh

Despite that I enjoyed Bright quite a bit.

Robin Low

Quote from: JamesC on 23 December, 2017, 09:10:44 AMIf anything's ever going to be the 'new Star Wars' (unlikely) I'd like it to be the remake of Nightbreed. Clive Barker always intended the original to be to the horror genre what Star Wars is to sci-fI/fantasy.

Overall, it's more than a bit of a mess (although I rated it quite highly at the tender age of 19), but there are some really good moments in it. The monster designs and David Cronenberg's performance in particular stand out. I understand a Director's Cut came out in 2014, but from what I've read it's not very good, sadly.

I'd like to see a remake, as long as the monsters were physical, not CGI (I've no problem with CGI, but the quality of the physical make-up stood out in the original, so I think it's important to pay tribute to that). I can't see a remake being an 18, though - it's too good a merchandising opportunity.

Perhaps a TV series, exploring the backstories of the monsters?

Regards,

Robin

The Enigmatic Dr X

Bright. Enjoyable disposable tosh. Exactly what you expect but Smith is charasmatic and carries it. Bit too much swearing in it; lots of "shit" to "mofo". Glad I checked that out before putting it on for my niece!

Miles better than Last Jedi
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

Star Trek: Beyond

Quite enjoyable but dragged a bit in the middle. I'm not sure why it has such negative reviews. Okay the science is a bit dodgy, but it often is in Star Trek.

Nice to see the Enterprise era ship, too! [spoiler](Actually, from the captain's experiences it should be post Enterprise, but the technology seems to be a bit before. Unless they gave him a ship with old tech....) I.e,by the end of Enterprise they were equipped with Photonic Torpedoes and the transporter was used fairly frequently to move personnel. The ex-captain claimed to have fought in the Romulan war, however...[/spoiler]

JamesC

Bright.

I quite enjoyed that.
It wasn't a very 'nice' film and could have done with some optimistic characters. Far, far too much swearing. The running time should have been cut down to about 90mins.
Generally speaking it was pretty good though.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 December, 2017, 02:55:57 PMNice to see the Enterprise era ship, too! [spoiler](Actually, from the captain's experiences it should be post Enterprise, but the technology seems to be a bit before. Unless they gave him a ship with old tech....) I.e,by the end of Enterprise they were equipped with Photonic Torpedoes and the transporter was used fairly frequently to move personnel. The ex-captain claimed to have fought in the Romulan war, however...[/spoiler]

He was also supposed to have been involved in the Xindi incident, though there were only about two Macos that made it back from that, and I think I would have remembered Dris being one of them.
Continuing the Enterprise nitpicking, tho: an anti-alien xenophobe using advanced mining tech and a superweapon against Starfleet vessels is basically Peter Weller's season four Enterprise baddie.

TordelBack

Ghostbusters (2016).  Wait, what?  Against my expectations, that was a perfectly enjoyable film, and markedly better than GB2.  It lacked the brilliantly defined character roles of the first one, and humour and tone were miles away, but it worked.  The four leads and Hemsworth played off each other well (and warmly), the improv-y dialogue bits were strong, some nice ideas (the Ghostbusters logo [spoiler]itself as the big baddie [/spoiler]was cool) and it had quite a decent plot.  I thought Leslie Jones was particularly funny, and her Patty the best of the characters. I'm sorry we won't see more of the new team, TBH.

My main complaints would be uneven pacing (as usual in so many modern wannabe 'blockbusters'), and that with the teensiest bit of tweaking (e.g. Erin and Abby's book was a scientific analysis of the original Zuul incident instead) it would have worked grand as a sequel rather than a reboot - there are a few scenes where it even looks like it was originally meant to be. 

It was different to the original, but it wasn't half bad entertainment. 

Professor Bear

I'm the only one in our circle that watches Star Trek, so was vaguely outraged when someone other than me said at the end of The Mountain Between Us that it was "a bit like that one with Quark and Odo on the mountain", not least because this was an entirely fair critical analogy, as The Mountain Between Us says and does nothing we haven't seen on 30 year-old tv shows - not even the nookie, thanks to many years of enthusiastic shipping.  There are two characters in this, and I cared more about whether their dog would be okay than if one of the humans fell off a mountain or into a frozen lake, so I probably should have watched Antarctica instead.

Dig Two Graves is the story of a young girl who makes a bargain with seedy rednecks to revive her dead brother - if she picks a replacement to take his place in the grave.  Seedy rednecks are always above board, so what could go wrong?  I benefited from watching it cold so shan't say any more of the plot, but it certainly does well with what little it has, and the young cast acquit themselves well alongside the ever-reliable Ted Levine.

sheridan

Just watched Jaws (which is being followed by Jaws 2, but I have work in the morning so I have to go to bed once I finish my coffee).

It stars Roy Sheider, and not Rob Schneider, as Rackle guessed :D - that would have been a very different film!

Colin YNWA

Forget the movies what on Earth are you doing drinking coffee before going to bed???!!!!

6pm is the latest I allow myself a cup of tea... I'm off topic aren't I!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 December, 2017, 06:46:48 AM
Forget the movies what on Earth are you doing drinking coffee before going to bed???!!!!

6pm is the latest I allow myself a cup of tea... I'm off topic aren't I!
I assume it's because he knew Jaws 3D was on after.
We never really die.

JamesC

Baby Driiver.

I meant to see this film on release but got around to it. I got the DVD for Xmas though (along with the excellent soundtrack LP) so gave it a watch last night. I really enjoyed it - I was a bit worried that I may find the lead a bit annoying but he was really good. The story was nice and straight forward and the jeopardy was small scale but you found yourself really rooting for Baby and Deborah. The way the visuals work in time with the music is just fantastic - definitely a film that has the rewatchability factor.

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 December, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
Ghostbusters (2016).  Wait, what?  Against my expectations, that was a perfectly enjoyable film, and markedly better than GB2.  It lacked the brilliantly defined character roles of the first one, and humour and tone were miles away, but it worked.  The four leads and Hemsworth played off each other well (and warmly), the improv-y dialogue bits were strong, some nice ideas (the Ghostbusters logo [spoiler]itself as the big baddie [/spoiler]was cool) and it had quite a decent plot.  I thought Leslie Jones was particularly funny, and her Patty the best of the characters. I'm sorry we won't see more of the new team, TBH.

My main complaints would be uneven pacing (as usual in so many modern wannabe 'blockbusters'), and that with the teensiest bit of tweaking (e.g. Erin and Abby's book was a scientific analysis of the original Zuul incident instead) it would have worked grand as a sequel rather than a reboot - there are a few scenes where it even looks like it was originally meant to be. 

It was different to the original, but it wasn't half bad entertainment.

Yeah, I thought Ghostbusters was generally good fun with some really great bits here and there. I'd have definitely watched a sequel with this cast. It's a real shame about all the online negativity.

Mattofthespurs

Watched The Accountant last night.
It's strange how a person's mood (or at least in my case) can affect how a film is perceived.
I had seen it before but on the first viewing I bailed 20 mins before the end as I really did not like it.
Emboldened with the Christmas spirit (and some Christmas spirits) I watched it again last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.
How peculiar.