Main Menu

Prog 2068 - In Cold Blood!

Started by glassstanley, 10 February, 2018, 03:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

Now that's what I call a Prog!

The cliffhanger to Bad Company - I don't think I've been left hanging like that since the penultimate part of Bad Company II. Back then it was 'Who is the Krool Heart?' Now it's ...

Anyway, I appear to have been proved completely wrong in a previous post complaining about Bad Company - Terrorists.  Milligan and team appear to have been playing a long game.

Jim_Campbell

Whilst I don't have Pat's reputation for meticulous research and can't discount the possibility that I've missed some crackpot website authoritative internet source stating otherwise, I'm broadly confident that Alfred Nobel didn't "invent gunpowder".
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Not unless there was time travel involved.

A.Cow

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 February, 2018, 09:47:50 PM
Whilst I don't have Pat's reputation for meticulous research and can't discount the possibility that I've missed some crackpot website authoritative internet source stating otherwise, I'm broadly confident that Alfred Nobel didn't "invent gunpowder".

The dialogue says "produced gunpowder", not "invented".  And Alfred Nobel's first Swedish patent was on "ways to prepare gunpowder".

However, the context of the rest of the sentence would make more sense with "dynamite" instead.

Then again, these is Quartz's rant.  It's not unreasonable for a fictitious character to get dynamite and gunpowder mixed-up.  After all, we're talking about someone who has GPO Type 706 telephone handsets hanging from their midriff...

Jim_Campbell

EDIT: No, of course. How stupid of me. Pat can do no wrong. My mistake.

Magnetica

I enjoyed the Prog this week, but that was mostly off the back of cracking episodes of ABC Warriors and Savage. It seems Blackblood doesn't actually like being [spoiler]betrayed[/spoiler] himself.

Brass Sun throws us a bit of a curveball in a largely dialogue free episode. Intriguing.

Bringing up the rear are Dredd and Bad Company . The Dredd arc ends and for me it was all a bit "so what". Bad Company teases at what might be going on; it remains to be seen whether it'll be enough to save the whole thing.

Richard

I liked how Dredd ended. It's good to see Dredd defeat someone by using his wits instead of just shooting them once in a while, and it had a big monster in it.

Colin YNWA

As I recall, very p[ossibly wrongly but that's never stopped me, Alfred Noble set up the peace prize as he felt so guilty about the harm done by his development of dynamite?

Anyway to things at hand and more progy we have another good un, Not quite as good as last week but there's a real refreshing balance this week, largely due to a bold and glorious episode of Brass Sun.

However we should start with Dredd, its a little odd as an ending, not to the individual story which ends really well and is pretty satisfactory but rather Dredd's East Meg excursions. In theory I should like it as after all there's been no over arching mission / plot in these stories its just need a noce way to throw Dredd into different situations and tell different stories. Should like that, nice way to move things aroiund, as it is as its been around a while it felt like it should have had more to it. As it is its rather 'Right done with that, what's next'. Still good stuff and enjoyed the ending to this story.

ABC Warriors all that was done is quickly pushed aside and now we have everyone blaming poor old Blackblood... well yeah for good reason...but having set up all this cool conflicit again it all felt a little pushed aside. Let's see where it leads though.

Savage does a better job of setting up its ending its just a blast of action but given the cliffhanger feels just the same as last weeks hasa it moved us on at all - ah why care it was such fun.

Then we have a gloriously atmospheric Brass Sun, gorious low of dialogue, especially compared to the Mills' stories that proceed it, yet establishing so much, while setting up lots of questions. So much done with so little. A chance for the story to catch breathe after the last few hectic epsiodes but with such craft and subtly driving things forward with a real quiet conviction. Glorious on ever level.

As could the end of Bad Company be as Milligan slowly hints at answers... or does he, fantastic teasing.

So as we enter the end games of the 4 none Dredd strips it will be fascinatating to see which land them and which stumble. There is plenty set up though to really make it such fun as we findout.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 February, 2018, 12:07:55 PM
As I recall, very p[ossibly wrongly but that's never stopped me, Alfred Noble set up the peace prize as he felt so guilty about the harm done by his development of dynamite?

Nobel did indeed invent both dynamite and gelignite and reputedly set up the prize to assuage his guilt on the matter. (A quick google just now reveals that the French press excoriated Nobel upon learning of his death... except that they had confused Alfred with his older brother Ludwig, so Alfred got to see exactly how he would be regarded upon his death while he was still living and set up the prize in his will.)

Keef Monkey

Having a bit of a dip with the prog personally, still reading weekly and still look forward to it but storywise the current batch of thrills just doesn't seem to be gripping me. It's really, really rare I get a bit detached from 2000AD though, and it's probably been years since the last time so I'm sure I'll be clicking with it again very soon. There are only a handful of strips Tharg puts out that I don't really follow too intently, and I think it's just rare poor fortune that a bunch of them have shown up at once.

Savage normally actually falls into that category but  I think it's the thing I'm enjoying most just now, just because the action has been really fun lately, and I am enjoying the artwork in Bad Company. The Dredd story hasn't really grabbed me and I totally lost the thread of what's going on in Brass Sun and ABC Warriors many moons ago unfortunately.

Hope others are still really enjoying it though, but personally looking forward to the next line-up refresh!

Proudhuff

I didn't enjoyed the Prog this week, but that was mostly off the back of kacking episodes of ABC Warriors  and Savage. It seems Blackblood doesn't expect to be betrayed himself... Shirley some mistook?

Brass Sun  throws us a bit of a curveball in a largely dialogue free episode. Intriguing and nicely done.

Bringing up the rear are Dredd and Bad Company . The Dredd arc ends and for me it was all a bit "so why East Meg?" This could have been in the Canadian wastes? and how do you control feeding one of babies?

Bad Company bores at what might be going on or might no or if someone cared; it remains to be seen.

A bit like the Sexy Ostriches in the Megazine, I can't wait for this all to finish.

oh and that muddy painterly cover makes my blood run cold.
DDT did a job on me

Freddychopper

Lovely painted cover artwork from Nick Percival  - Always great to see his work on Dredd.

Dredd wraps up nicely. I'm a big fan of Carroll's Dredd work and like that he puts Dredd in different environments. It was good to have an action episode and see the old guy fight and still kick ass like a youngster

Uncle Pat continuing at a pace on ABC Warriors. A bit off topiic: I actually just saw that Simon Bisley preview of the Joe Pineapples story, that kind of looks a little bit strange in this current age but hopefully will be good mindless fun and mayhem.

Love Savage - Go Quartz!!

Bad Company is good retro fun but it's Brass Sun that doesn't really do it for me, I'm afraid.

Decent enough prog though.

Time for tea!

DrJomster

That was a lovely episode of Brass Sun. Gorgeous! I'm going to have to get the collected edition. And Brink.

I'm actually quite liking the ABC/Savage link up. So close to a digital Mek Files binge, I can't tell you!

Quite a good Prog all round tbh.

Oh, and nice cover to boot!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

sheridan

Quote from: A.Cow on 10 February, 2018, 10:55:10 PM
Then again, these is Quartz's rant.  It's not unreasonable for a fictitious character to get dynamite and gunpowder mixed-up.  After all, we're talking about someone who has GPO Type 706 telephone handsets hanging from their midriff...

Not unreasonable, though this particular fictitious character is an arms dealer...