Main Menu

The World's End

Started by Mike Carroll, 19 July, 2013, 02:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

Leonia and I are just back from a triple-bill of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and... The World's End! We've always adored the first two (Hot Fuzz is one of my all-time top-five favourite movies), but how does The World's End compare?

I know you're all wondering... Well, we LOVED it! It's an absolutely cracking movie with some really great gags, nicely complex and clever story, and absolutely top performances. Definitely a worthy end to the Cornetto Trilogy - highly recommended!

[spoiler]I could be wrong, but I reckon the king on the placard / shingle thingy outside the tenth pub, The King's Head, has Kevin Eldon's face...[/spoiler]

-- Mike

-- Mike

Ghastly McNasty

Off to see this on Tuesday. Very excited. Glad you've given it the thumbs up, although I expected no less.

Radbacker

glad to hear this is good (not that i thought it wouldn't be) but BOLOX its not out here for a couple of weeks  :(

CU Radbacker

radiator

Good stuff. I have realistic expectations and I've heard some pretty good things, hopefully will get to see it over the weekend.

QuoteWe've always adored the first two (Hot Fuzz is one of my all-time top-five favourite movies)

Always surprises me when someone prefers Hot Fuzz over Shaun of the Dead - it's no doubt a terrific movie in it's own right, but just isn't in the same league as the instant all-time comedy classic Shaun imo - which is a much tighter and funnier film than it's follow up.

I've mentioned this before on the board, but while I love HF (and have certainly warmed to it even more in the years since its release), for me it never really delivers the all-out, action movie thrills it promises.

Whereas Shaun is a truly great Zombie film that just happens to be very funny - equally effective in horror and comedy like it's inspiration An American Werewolf in London - Hot Fuzz never really feels like an action film - it lacks peril (and proper baddies*), seems to pull it's punches a lot more and feels more spoof than anything. Maybe it's just me, but I'd liked to have seen a higher bodycount - and you can't really call yourself an authentic homage to 1980s/early 1990s action  unless at least one of the good guys dies a violent, heroic death!

Perhaps it just wasn't the film I was expecting to see?

*Great as Timothy Dalton et al are, they aren't truly evil, or physically threatening enough that we would enjoy seeing them being blown away, hence the slightly toothless finale.

Link Prime

I'd pretty much agree with your opinions on Shaun / Hot Fuzz Radiator (HF has grown on me tremendously over the past few years too).

I'm planing to catch The Worlds End this weekend with the same childhood friend that went to see Shaun & HF with me. Anticipation levels are peaking 89%, unheard of in recent years.

Mid-life crisis paleo diet be damned; Cornettos will be consumed.

sheldipez

I've got the day off work to go see this (as a back to back with Pacific Rim) with another long-time Spaced fan next Wednesday, Shaun of the Dead is one of my favourite movies but I just about managed to make it through Hot Fuzz so a bit nervous about this one :o

von Boom

Loved Shaun and Fuzz so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Daveycandlish

Anyone seen the Jean Reno film Crimson Rivers 2? It has a chase scene very similar to Hot Fuzz - I wonder which came first? I'm off to see th new one on Sunday and can't wait!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

I, Cosh

As it's curmudgeonly Sunday round here, can somebody explain what makes this a trilogy? Is it just the same thing which makes Escape From New York, The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China a trilogy?
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

In the same way Time Bandits, Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Münchhausen are a trilogy.

sheldipez

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 July, 2013, 03:50:22 PM
As it's curmudgeonly Sunday round here, can somebody explain what makes this a trilogy? Is it just the same thing which makes Escape From New York, The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China a trilogy?

It's the cornetto trilogy. Nick Frost consumes a Cornetto in each movie.

radiator

I very much enjoyed the movie, but unfortunately it goes off the boil somewhat after a fantastically funny, understated and surprisingly bittersweet first hour, leading to a truly awful (imo) finale. What on earth were they thinking?

Still, a very enjoyable, if slightly frustrating film. Stunningly shot and edited, very clever, multi-layered script and an AMAZING, star-studded cast, featuring Pegg's best performance in years. Frost too is great - he's come on leaps and bounds as an actor, and the other four leads are brilliant too. I'd say a solid four four of five, but the slightly excessive running time, escalating silliness that undermines the film's loftier ambitions and aforementioned divisive finale leave a sour taste and conspire to knock a star off.

Ghastly McNasty

That's pretty much exactly how I felt, radiator.

A clever and funny film that rapidly unravels towards the slightly too long end, which is a shame as there is plenty in it to love.

Pegg and Frost deliver 2 amazing performances, Pegg only outshining his buddy due to the complexity of his antihero character he must have had a ball writing.

The cinema was scarily empty for 9.00 on a Saturday. Hope more people go and watch this film as it's worth your time.

zombemybabynow

saw it yesterday - brilliant, very silly and if you're around your 40ish - fantastically neo-nostalgic soundtrack

[spoiler]"you've got blue on you?!"[/spoiler]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Dunk!

Saw this at the weekend and really enjoyed it.

Think most folks/fans could've written the plot from what was glimpsed in the trailer so it was refreshing to be surprised and shocked by where it went.

Recommended - though folks were going anyway.

Hot Fuzz over Shaun any day of the week, though.

Dunk!
"Trust we"