Main Menu

Writing To Tharg

Started by Buttonman, 21 January, 2007, 02:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

With no letters page in any 2000ad prog this year (except prog 2007) and a plea for letters in the Megazine editorial it seems that Tharg's fan mail is at an all time low. Being a sad bastard with nothing better to so on a wet Saturday afternoon I had a look through all of the progs and megs of 2006.

Letters pages appeared in 29 different progs and in 9 of 13 Megazines. An impressive 105 differnt readers had a monment of glory with 83 of them being one offs. Of the 29 letters of the week (*) 21 were from single entry readers - either they decided to retire on top or shot their bolt with their one outing. If you have been published before and want a star letter prize a pseudonym is suggested.

All readers with two or more entries are listed below and although I won I take no pride in the matter. I have yet to meet a woman impressed by this 'achievement'. I was slightly impressed with Tharg's pet Steve Frame with three star letters out of four printed.

STEPHEN WATSON, PAISLEY (1473, 1477, 1479, 1483, 1502, 240, 242, 245, 249, 251)
FLOYD KERMODE, AUSTRALIA (1475, 1483 *, 1507, 1510, 243)
STEVE FRAME, CAITHNESS (1478*, 1490, 1507 *, 1517 *)
MATT WEBSTER, BRADFORD (1475 *, 243, 249)
GERARD SMITH, IRELAND (1479 *, 1486, 247)
IVO BOCHENSKI, SURREY (1486, 1506 * 1517)
MICHAEL CROUCH, NORWICH (1482, 1496, 245)
GRANT GOGGINS, USA (1484, 1502, 1515)
KEITH THORBURN, GLASGOW (1486, 246, 250)
TOM COTTON, TELFORD (1496, 1499, 1507)
ALEX FIRTH, LONDON (1489, 1508, 251)
ALASDAIR STUART, YORK (1479, 1484 *)
JO WALLACE, LAURENCEKIRK (1497, 1502 *)
TONY BARTLETT, DEWSBURY (2006, 1506)
JAMES FEIST, HANTS (2006, 243)
SCOTT FERGUSON, EAST KILBRIDE (1471, 249)
JACK HARVEY, LIVERPOOL (1470, 1476)
ALAN HOLLOWAY, WESTON SUPER MARE (1479, 246)
JOHN LUKE, FRANCE (1473, 250)
DAVID BROOKES, SHEFFIELD (1493, 1502)
PAUL INGRAM, REDDITCH (1475, 1482)
DAVE EVANS (1501, 251)

As for board regulars with no entries - why not?!

Please don't reply with 'self praise is no praise' and smug/sad/pathetic git, I have a wife who takes care of that sort of thing.

Dark Jimbo

2006 was my slowest year. I only sent in a couple, because I ended up regretting having sent most of the letters I got printed, and thought I came across as a bit of a jerk in most of them. Plus the more I post here, the less inclination I feel to send Tharg a message.

I always wondered if Stephen Watson was a boarder. Nice to put an... um, icon, to the name.
@jamesfeistdraws

Buttonman

I know what you mean Jimbo, for example I don't know who you are. I know Dave Evans is Bolt01 and Floyd Kermode is Scojo but apart from that, the borads' anonynimity is secure.

Dark Jimbo

Floyd Kermode is Scojo...

Heh heh.

Anyways, I'm the only 'James' on the list, my nickname here being Jimbo, and all.

And I think - god knows how I know this, but I think - that the 'Linton Porteous' who always used to write in is our very own Funt Solo (or whatever variation on Funt he currently is).

I shall make an effort in 2007 to write a bit more, if only for the free stuff. :-)
@jamesfeistdraws

Buttonman

My exhaustive records show that Linton only troubled the printers once in Meg 245.

I'd be interested to see an all time list but be darned if I'm doing it. Linton and Floyd used to be prolific and I remember the duo of Matt and Slaneo who used to be in the Meg every issue, but seem to have disappeared in recent years.

Buddy

What makes yoy think Floyd is Scojo?

I've written 3 letters to thatg, two of them got letter of the week, the other didn't see print.

I think I'm still owed a gift from one of my letters.

Buttonman

Before a witch burning is arranged I do not think Floyd is Scojo. It was a weak joke based on the fact that his user name is the same as his actual name. Yes,it really was that amusing!

Max Kon

having sent most of the letters I got printed

other people sent some of the letters that you got printed? :P

Funt Solo

Arr, Jimbo - that be me.  I went through a phase of prolific letter-writing that saw a few in print (mostly years ago now) - but never anything to contest Floyd 'Scojo' Kermode's output (to input).

Given the cool prizes on offer - it's pretty idiotic of me not to write in anymore.

(My letters were so popular that they even prompted Troutski to offer to come around and smash my windows!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ThryllSeekyr

Has anybody noticed the name Kermode used in the movies section of one of the latest Judge Dredd magazines.

Buttonman

I don't have the issue to hand Thryllseekyr but it probably relates to Mark Kermode, an agressivly opinionated film critic. He's a bit contrary, but his movie webcast is good for a few laughs. You can get it on the BBC website (Five Live) or off iTunes as a podcast.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kermode" target="_blank">Death of Narrative Critisim

IndigoPrime

:: As for board regulars with no entries - why not?!

Luck of the draw, I guessâ??at least in my case. I wrote to "Tharg" a few times last year, but the only thing I can recall that was printed was my small tribute to Tom Frame (which, I have to say, I was very grateful that Matt printed).

Trout

The window service is still on offer, Linton, or a pint sometime, since we're in the same neck of the woods.

As for letters - pah! anyone can do that.
Even I had one in a few weeks ago!

- Trout

I, Cosh

Interesting (in the loosest possible sense) to note the concentration of multiple letter writers in the Greater Glasgow area...
We never really die.

Buttonman

You're right Cosh, that is almost interesting! Below is a list of all Cal-Hab readers who had a scribble published. There are also 5 who give their address as 'e-mail wherever that is, and one who says he's from Neptune. Presumably he's on the Buckfast and therefore from Lanarkshire.

STEPHEN WATSON, PAISLEY
STEVE FRAME, CAITHNESS
KEITH THORBURN, GLASGOW
JO WALLACE, LAURENCEKIRK
SCOTT FERGUSON, EAST KILBRIDE
JAMES BURNS, WISHAW (1515 *)
BRIAN KRESSLER, PAISLEY  (1490 *)
LAURENCE Oâ??ROURKE, EDINBURGH (2006)
JAMES MACKAY, GLASGOW (1489)
JOHN DOCHERTY, GLASGOW (1492)
RICHARD JAMIESON, MORAY (1496)
JORDAN SMITH, GLASGOW (1507)