Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JamesC on 19 December, 2017, 01:30:26 PM

And to balance out my criticisms I have to say, I really like Kylo Ren. I think he's a really interesting character.

I agree with this and think that there are lots of interesting characters. My main disappointment was how these characters were treated by the script, Finn especially.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 December, 2017, 02:05:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney was behind this petition, or at least encouraging it from the shadows, because it keeps people talking about the film.

I'd like a Mod to check if Sharky's forum account has somehow been hacked.
Some loon on here spouting bonkers conspiracy theories. 

;)

The Legendary Shark

I didn't say they were, I said I wouldn't be surprised. Putting forward a negative view in order to counter it with positives isn't a rare tactic and big companies like Disney have plenty of smart advertising people capable of and willing to take a thing like this silly petition and turn it to their advantage.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GrudgeJohnDeed

That's still a tall order surely. I cant think of any cases of a company promoting a negative view of their product in a non-tongue-in-cheek tone myself and even then its rare (marmite?). Recently there was a lot of bad publicity around Battlefront 2 and Disney didn't react like they didn't think bad publicity was a problem

Spaceghost

I think we're WELL past the old "No publicity is bad publicity" maxim in these days of social media.

This is clearly a petition started and supported by blubbering, entitled man-babies.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Professor Bear

I would argue that a lot of recent films have manufactured outrage in order to deflect from their objective problems - The Dark Tower, for example, as well as the Ghostbusters remake.
Star Trek Discovery's high aggregate scores with critics are presented as proof that any dissenting opinion is from "Star Trek gatekeepers" in the fandom who despise change and/or diversity, much as Russel T Davies was claiming back in the day about Nu Who, and the producers of Stargate Universe, and more recently I think I've heard this argument in relation to another huge sci-fi franchise whose name escapes me at the moment, etc...

The Legendary Shark

I didn't say the company was supporting the negative view, I said they might be encouraging it by first acknowledging that it exists and then taking the opportunity to respond to it with a positive spin. It gives them an excuse to explain why they think their product is so good in a more interesting and engaging context than just advertising blurbs and puff pieces.

I have no idea about the conversation surrounding the aforementioned game but it seems there was a conversation which would encourage certain demographics to buy the game and "decide for themselves." Fans of the product will likely buy it anyway but non-fans might be encouraged to buy it because of the controversy. An entire ad campaign wouldn't rest on this kind of strategy, of course, but it might Hoover up a few thousand extra sales.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GrudgeJohnDeed

With the game Bob Iger himself rang up EA for a bit of crisis management and the offending micro-transaction system was taken offline post-haste. They definitely weren't into the bad publicity. I heard a radio programme recently where they said RyanAir might have its most profitable year this year, even with all that mess about mismanagement and cancelled flights. An expert was saying that bad publicity just bounces off RyanAir because they haven't got a good brand to ruin, Disney is in the exact opposite situation I'd say.

Mattofthespurs

This is an interesting piece. IT CONTAINS SPOILERS!
I did not write it or have anything to do with it, I just think it's interesting in the context of this thread.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/disliking-the-last-jedi/?utm_content=buffer729db&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Legendary Shark

Ah, so the game thing was an actual, physical problem with one of the systems. This silly petition is a different kind of problem requiring a different kind of response.

Anyway, I enjoyed TLJ and that's all that really matters to me. I've enjoyed all the Star Wars films to a greater or lesser degree and this new one gave me the same level of enjoyment. Sure, it's not perfect but then, in my view, none of them are.

My thoughts on advertising strategies, whether they be correct, partially correct or incorrect are just derailing the thread - for which I apologise.

Looking forward to Episode IX!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 19 December, 2017, 03:04:39 PM
I did not write it or have anything to do with it, I just think it's interesting in the context of this thread.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/disliking-the-last-jedi/?utm_content=buffer729db&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Good read. Only 145 people have signed that government petition linked in the article, I don't think its a big movement.

karlos

Saw TLJ last night.  Full disclosure: I hated TFA and didn't think much of Rogue One.

Sadly, I didn't like this one much more.

The above article hits the nail on the head for me, well worth reading.

I did like the porgs, though.  I'm not made of stone.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: karlos on 19 December, 2017, 03:45:15 PM

I did like the porgs, though.  I'm not made of stone.

I'm with Chewbacca on this one. Initially, anyway  :)

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 19 December, 2017, 03:37:17 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 19 December, 2017, 03:04:39 PM

Good read. Only 145 people have signed that government petition linked in the article, I don't think its a big movement.

I had a bigger movement this morning tbh.

Link Prime