Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatboydale

Fatboydale

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 May, 2013, 07:38:53 PM
In honour of the recent forum art competition, here's one of the equally recent additions to my collection:

Poor old Dogbrain.

Lovely .....as well

SuperSurfer

Greg M that Bad Company artwork hits the spot.

In my failed attempt to enter the last art comp, while burrowing through some old comics for reference I came across an issue of Speakeasy fanzine which has a full page interview with Milligan, Ewins and J McCarthy. It was regarding the start of the second series of Bad Company in 2000AD and the launch of the first Bad Company Titan album.

Interestingly, seven or eight episodes had been written before Milligan knew that Ewins and McCarthy were the art team. They set out to make it look "unlike any of the strips in 2000AD". They said they were under some pressure from 2000AD to produce a slick "Bolland look" but they stuck to their guns.

One of my favourite strips in 2000AD.

(The other news on the front page of that Speakeasy was about 2000AD being bought by Maxwell.)

opaque

Jo-L

Is there a good list of places where 2000 AD original art (classic and modern) is readily available?  I've found a few caches on the internet here and there, but I wasn't sure if there are larger art dealers or lists of private sellers where interested parties would go to view available art.  The answer might lie in this thread somewhere... apologies if I missed it.

Thanks!

Spikes

My latest acquisitions (Thanks Wake!) may prove to awkward to scan properly, so a sneaky peek will have to suffice for the time being.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Jo-L on 04 May, 2013, 03:30:08 AM
Is there a good list of places where 2000 AD original art (classic and modern) is readily available?  I've found a few caches on the internet here and there, but I wasn't sure if there are larger art dealers or lists of private sellers where interested parties would go to view available art.  The answer might lie in this thread somewhere... apologies if I missed it.

Thanks!

Classifieds on here and ebay are good places to start; the comic art fans website has loads of dealers and artwork for sale, I have some John Cooper Armitage pages for sale and fatboydale and wake over on Barney are all good bets. It always helps, of course, if you know what you want!

opaque

And the more money you have the better! :P

hippynumber1

Quote from: opaque on 04 May, 2013, 12:19:40 PM

Yes, be prepared to mortgage your house and sell your children!  :lol:

Skullmo

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 04 May, 2013, 12:36:23 PM

Sell your house and mortgage your children, you can live in a fort made of original art!
It's a joke. I was joking.

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 May, 2013, 10:25:27 AM
My latest acquisitions (Thanks Wake!) may prove to awkward to scan properly, so a sneaky peek will have to suffice for the time being.

Ah... I love that story.  Made quite an impression on me as a kid - especially that final reveal.  Great stuff, Iain.

Leigh S

Quote from: ming on 04 May, 2013, 03:21:20 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 May, 2013, 10:25:27 AM

Ah... I love that story.  Made quite an impression on me as a kid - especially that final reveal.  Great stuff, Iain.

SAme here! If I could afford to collect original art, that would be a grail story!

Jo-L

Quote from: Skullmo on 04 May, 2013, 01:18:27 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 04 May, 2013, 12:36:23 PM

Sell your house and mortgage your children, you can live in a fort made of original art!

Thanks fellas, I know what I'd love, but am looking to get any idea of the market before I'll know what I can afford.  I'm working on getting som Patrick Goddard Savage art, but am really interested in some older pages.  Perhaps some Ezquerra Dredd?

Spikes

Quote from: Jo-L on 04 May, 2013, 10:33:41 PM
I'm working on getting som Patrick Goddard Savage art, but am really interested in some older pages.  Perhaps some Ezquerra Dredd?

E-bay may well be your best place for the Savage art. Is it Fatboydale (a forum member on here) who sells these? Priced quite reasonably, if i recall.
Ezquerra Dredd pages dont pop up that often, and again the cheapest examples recently have been on E-bay.

Spikes

And finally managed to get a semi-decent scan's of my new pages (may have to invest in a scanner wand like Mark has. Be so much easier!)

The complete three page story is viewable - here