Main Menu

Big Finish 2000AD Audio - New Web Pages

Started by Mantrid, 18 July, 2002, 08:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mantrid

You may like to know that pages about current and forthcoming 2000AD audo plays have been added to the www.bigfinish.com website. Take a look.

John Ainsworth
Producer - 2000AD
Big Finish Productions

Link: http://www.bigfinish.com" target="_blank">Big Finish

Wake

I've created a profile page for you.

Would you care to comment on the idea that Rogue and all 3 biochips could be played by a single actor, natural for Rogue himself but with 3 different distortions for the 3 biochips?

Wake

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=JOHNAI" target="_blank">John Ainsworth Profile page

Mantrid

Thank you for creating my profile page - most kind.

Regarding Rogue and his chips being played by the same actor, well, it's certainly possible. However, we wouldn't really favour that approach for several reasons.

Firstly, to get any real kind of drama and interaction bewteen the four characters we would really have to record the same scene several times with someon else reading in the lines for the other three characters while the actor performed each character in turn. I thik it's asking quite a lot of someone to play four personalities simultaneously and have a four-way conversation with himself.

Secondly, we'd be loathe to use too many different voice effects in Rogue as this can start to sound comical. I think we can get away with it in Dredd and Strontium as there is often humour in those stories that allows for larger-than-life characters and droids etc. Rogue seems to me to have a bit more of a serious mood about it and I wouldn't want to dispel that with unintentionally comical voice effects.

My preference would be to have each of the chips and Rogue played by different actors.

Oddboy

All fair comments, but I've just read Rogue Trooper: Fort Neuro... silly accents ago-go!  RT did his fair share of comedy!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Wake

I don't think it should sound comical though...either a background crack/hum, or a small amount of distortion, or played back through a small speaker.

There should definitely be something to separate the biochips from Rogue himself, even if they all undergo the same treatment.

Wake

Oddboy

Yeah.  The Rogue Trooper strip has that totally unique shaped speach bubble for the biochips... that suggests that thier voices *sound* very different to how a living person's does but with out being robotic otherwise they'd just use the square speach bubbles that robots use.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Smiley

I agree. The biochips should be played by different actors, because I always imagined the biochips as having distinct personalities. Helm seemed quiet and dependable, Gunnar was angry and excitable while Bagman came across as nervy and slightly nuts (after getting shot in the chip during "Bagman Blues").

I also agree that the voices should be treated with subtle effects. Not that heavy effects and distortion should be a problem character wise. I remember hearing somewhere that the people who did the Dalek voices on Doctor Who got round the problem of Daleks all sounding alike by exaggerating the pitch of the voices. The Daleks ended up being either quiet, angry or nervous characters, well, mostly angry. :)

(I'm not saying the biochip's should sound like Daleks, but I reckon there's a conversational model to follow there. I'm sure Big Finish have cottoned on to this already.)

Is the only problem a case of too many characters and not enough cast members? Or is the problem finding a story which caters for the character set-up which would work in audio?

Mantrid

The number of actors to characters ratio is indeed a partial problem with Rogue Trooper (assuming we have all four regulars played by different actors). However, another part of the decision to put the Rogue audio on temporary hold was that, for this first year of production, we felt that we should focus more on Dredd than we had initially planned. To be honest, this is more a marketing decision than a sales one - Dredd is by far the most recognisable of the 2000AD characters and is more likely to attract casual purchasers than the other 'lesser known' characters. However, our first 'Strontium Dog' title proved to be very popular and we will be producing a second SD audio for release in November. Once the series is more establisshed we shall certainly return to Rogue and hopefully will be able to introduce some other characters/series as well.

malkymac

Is there any chance of getting a sample of the works online before deciding to buy?

Mantrid

On-line trailers are certainly on the cards for the near future.

paulvonscott

Really pleased that the Strontium Dog CD's are continuing.  Great stuff.

Are you still only a head attached to an arm Mantrid?

Cheers

PVS

Mantrid

No, I've got a foot with three toes as well now!

Devons Daddy

ok i have just thrown my hard earned groats at big finish for a set of six cds,mail order.
soon as they arrive i will post my feelings comments, on the board.
in the mean time, if you cant do rogue, who else are you considering for the future then.

sam slade has got to be worth a thought. he must have all the right traits for a good romp.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

paulvonscott

I know big finish don't norally do dramatisations of existing stories, but I'd love an audio version of harry twenty on the high rock, multiple cd's there, but I'd love that!