Main Menu

Meg 408 - Hard Country for Old Men

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 12 May, 2019, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Dredd - Kenneth Niemand again, and Nick Dyer cursed earth artwork.

Lawless - does a talky GoT politicing episode with Phil Winslade's amazing penwork ruling the roost. And a Landraider appearance?!

Storm Warning - wraps up with some more spooky stuff.

A Tale from the Black Museum by Rory McConville and Neil Goodge. Obvious cricket bat from the Cornetto trilogy but don't recognise the axe (but should do).

The Torture Garden looks creepy but I haven't read this one yet.

Interrogations with Geoff Senior and Abigail Bulmer, and the floppy is Mind Wars vol 1

Pick of the Meg is still Lawless but I enjoyed the wrap up of the Dredd cursed earth story.

Richard

Delighted with Mind Wars!

Dredd, Lawless and Torture Garden are all excellent. Haven't read the others yet.

titchard

Read the majority of this last night as some of the story arcs were half way through when I jumped onto reading the Megazine.

I really enjoyed Dredd, having that Alex Jones-esque radio broadcasting from a former Judge was a great touch, especially with such a hardliner in Dredd saying it is all ridiculous what he is broadcasting.  To me, Dredd is really unreliable here as he is so true to the law and the Judges it got me thinking that even when faced with possibility that they are corrupt at the core and controlling the population would he even truly question it?

The bit about having coffee/tea etc banned but weaponry and alcohol is still freely available made me think this.

A Tale From the Black Museum was fantastic, and I absolutely loved the artwork - definitely one that stood out most to be over the last month or so artwork-wise.  Loved the arc of the story, felt well paced and not rushed.

Both interviews were really fascinating.  I definitely took a lot from Abigail Bulmer as she works at Forbidden Planet and works on her comics in her free time, this definitely was inspiring to me as an aspiring writer and creator!

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 12 May, 2019, 02:16:22 PM

Dredd, Lawless and Torture Garden are all excellent. Haven't read the others yet.

Finally made it to the floppy then?  Wonder what delayed it for so long?

broodblik

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2019, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: Richard on 12 May, 2019, 02:16:22 PM

Finally made it to the floppy then?  Wonder what delayed it for so long?

The last 4 months they where doing "Operation Overlord".
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Anthony Garnon

Quote from: titchard on 13 May, 2019, 09:11:54 AM
Both interviews were really fascinating.  I definitely took a lot from Abigail Bulmer as she works at Forbidden Planet and works on her comics in her free time, this definitely was inspiring to me as an aspiring writer and creator!

Wrong comic book store! She works at Travelling Man - but regardless, great it inspires you.

(I work at Forbidden Planet, and am equally inspired most days!)

titchard

Quote from: Anthony Garnon on 13 May, 2019, 08:01:13 PM

Wrong comic book store! She works at Travelling Man - but regardless, great it inspires you.

Doh! Considering whenever I visit my friend in Manchester I always go into Travelling Man, I don't know how I managed to mess that up!

Freddychopper

Top issue - SPOILER - that headshot in the Torture Garden - ouch! Great image!- (Don't think he's dead, though)... Love this series!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Is it only in the south east that this Meg seems not to have been distributed today?
SBT

broodblik

A great edition of the Meg again and what a cover. Glad that Mind Wars made it this time around
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

I really enjoyed Dredd, having that Alex Jones-esque radio broadcasting from a former Judge was a great touch, especially with such a hardliner in Dredd saying it is all ridiculous what he is broadcasting.  To me, Dredd is really unreliable here as he is so true to the law and the Judges it got me thinking that even when faced with possibility that they are corrupt at the core and controlling the population would he even truly question it?

Not sure I follow your point - Dredd has questioned the system a number of times.  Most notably the first time he took the long walk.  The second time resulted in mutants being allowed in to the Big Meg.

QuoteBoth interviews were really fascinating.  I definitely took a lot from Abigail Bulmer as she works at Forbidden Planet and works on her comics in her free time, this definitely was inspiring to me as an aspiring writer and creator!

I think you'll find she works at Travelling Man!

sheridan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 15 May, 2019, 01:31:19 PM
Is it only in the south east that this Meg seems not to have been distributed today?
SBT
I've got mine (London rather than SE).

Colin YNWA

Saving Mind Wars until later, but so far so good and with pages and pages of Redondo art things are looking good.

Who is that masked man, Kenneth Neimand does it again with another fantastic Dredd - I will be so disappointed if he turns out just to be a bloke with a name of vaguely German origin. Oh and Nick Dwyer channels Ian Kennedy and knocks it out the park again. Slips in a nice personal (I assume) tribute too. Loved this one.

But there's loving something and there's Lawless. Lawless makes loving a comic strip more than just loving a comic strip it makes it Muublantnigglsprang which is the term used in Papua New Guinea for more than love.

Stormwarning was probably pretty good and looked great, just I've kinda stopped being engaged - shame

Unlike Black Museum which looked great and was engaging from start to end, enjoyed this one.

Torture Garden has never quite lived up to its early promise but its remained pretty damned good and this continues in that vein.

Decent text stuff and Mind Wars to come. Good Meg.

sheridan

Quote from: Anthony Garnon on 13 May, 2019, 08:01:13 PM

Which branch?  Do you get many Squaxx in there, or do we tend to subscribe or pick up from certain stationery/newsagent chains?