Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Awwwww no.  That is so sad, Steve Dillon was a legend in the 2000AD universe. Z :'(
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

pauljholden

And if there's any lingering doubt (and really, with me, it's hope that it's just the usual online bullshit) Glyn Dillon has confirmed Steve's death in New York.

So saddened by this. Steve's work is pretty deeply imbedded in my influences (at age 11-12 Dillon was THE artist for me) and his recent work has shown that after decades he still had it in him to produce something glorious.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions, including one notable night in New York drinking with him and Garth Ennis.

He was a great artist and generous person.

-PJ

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Jesus this year, wtf is wrong with it? Very bad news indeed. Steve Dillon is one of the all time Comic greats and will be sorely missed not only here but across the whole graphic spectrum. Truly gutted for his friends and family and I shall raise a pint of the black stuff tonight in his memory. RIP Steve Dillon 1962- 22nd October 2016.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

CrazyFoxMachine

1962?! Does that mean he was 23 when he did this??!?

:o :o :o :o :o

I never knew that - he's far younger than I thought and that makes this all the worse.

My condolences to those that knew him personally - this is stunning, terrible news.

antodonnell

Gutted :/ Steve's B&W Dredd was a massive influence on me .....

Toni Scandella

damn. I loved his work on Dredd. One of the definitive Dredd artists for me.

Tjm86

Please excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.  This is staggering.  Considering his age.  My thoughts go to his family right now.  Of all the greats of the last forty years to grace the pages of tooth this was one I was not expecting to read this news about so soon.

:'(

Stu101

Shocking news! The passing of Steve Dillon is another great taken in 2016, he was definitely one of my favourite 2000AD artists. My condolences to his family and all who knew him.  :'(

SIP

One of my top favourite comic artists ever. Really gutting news.

Tjm86

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 October, 2016, 03:48:54 PM
1962?! Does that mean he was 23 when he did this??!?

:o :o :o :o :o

I never knew that - he's far younger than I thought and that makes this all the worse.

My condolences to those that knew him personally - this is stunning, terrible news.

83 - 62 = 21 doesn't it?  IIRC his earliest work for Marvel UK was about the age of 17 or 18.

Brian Corcoran

That is such bad news. Steve Dillon formed a major part of my comic reading life, from Mean Arena and Dredd, right through Preacher and beyond, and he was a major influence on me. There are just too many great comics he was involved with to mention here. What a legend of comics, and so young! So sad to hear the news. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

JOE SOAP

Steve was a prodigy and eventual story-telling genius who began his professional career drawing The Incredible Hulk at the age of 17 -

"While I was pleased to instantly take Steve on as a freelance artist, his parents knew nothing of the freelance world and sensibly wanted him to go to college. So, to reassure them, I instantly gave Steve a contract guaranteeing him work for the next 12 months. And work he certainly did!" - Dez Skinn

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 October, 2016, 04:02:36 PM
83 - 62 = 21 doesn't it?  IIRC his earliest work for Marvel UK was about the age of 17 or 18.

Griefbased numberfudge. He hit his stride phenomenally early and his work was so consistent and recognizable.

His recent Preacher art for London Super Comic Con was breathtaking - and I notice he was using it as his Twitter cover as well. Blimey what a horror this is.

Spikes

Such awful, totally unexpected, and incredibly sad news to hear of the passing of Steve Dillon.

He was a such a brilliant artist, and I adored his art from the first moment I saw it.
One of the absolute greats. No doubt about that whatsoever.

RIP, Mr Dillon.