Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

I thought it moved at a snails pace and barely recognized any of the characters, especially the relationships between Jesse and Tulip & Jesse and Arseface. It was ok, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was very "Preacher - lite".
Never ever bloody anything ever

Satanist

After worrying about how this would translate I thought this was bloody excellent and could not get over how well they did Arseface.

Although it was just an intro to the main players theres still a lot of folk to meet.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Toni Scandella

Ob the side of loved it. Accents do not bother me as nobody is trying to do a Salford one (notice that Texans are a bit irritated as are some Irish folk) and I am especially living Cassidy so far... and will pretend that Joseph is Cassidy next time I watch Pride.

I liked the comic but it was sensible to change it around a bit.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 24 May, 2016, 01:17:27 PM
notice that Texans are a bit irritated

I was wondering about that.  An English bloke and an Irish lass doing a Texas accent, and another English lad doing an Irish one. 

Still, I'm liking it a lot so far.  I think I may even prefer this Jesse and Tulip to the comic ones - Jesse seems a bit less up his own arse, and Tulip seems to be quirky and fun as well as tough (while it was great to see such a strong woman starring in Garth's version, I found her personality a wee bit bland). 
And so far, no wanky studenty conversations  about how great Bill Hicks / Laurel and Hardy / whatever are (though my computer died before I could finish the episode).

I have no problems with it departing from the exact plot of the comic, which is pretty sprawling and raggedy in parts anyway, and I have no problem without quite so many f-bombs and castrations (which both got a bit repetitive in the comics).  Once again AMC shows us all how adapting grown-up comics is done - look and learn, Snyder.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

radiator

Well, that was a Preacher TV show alright. i thought it was teriffic, and hope the rest of the series can sustain that level of quality.

I thought it was a superb adaptation, in that it nailed the spirit of the source material and clearly respected it, but it wasn't afraid to do its own thing, and made it work in a totally different medium.

The humour is still typically Ennis, but the general tone and writing is far more polished and smarter than those early issues of the comics (note my critique on rereading the comic - that the story feels like its taking place in a vaccuum, whereas the TV show conveys a much more fully realised world for the events to take place in). I for one greatly appreciate the (relatively) slow burn, and I like that it seems like the TV show will stay confined to Annville, for the time being at least.

I was concerned about the shows ambition, and it looking cheap as a result, but i was blown away by how great it looks. AMC must have thrown a lot of money at it. Packed full of beautiful shots and great visual gags.

I love the three leads, not even bothered by the dodgy accents, can't wait to see where it goes (having the comic panels burned into my brain I have zero interest in seeing a frame for frame translation).

Tjm86

I know what you mean about the vacuum quality at times in the comic.  I always found that fairly authentic though.  There really are places that are pretty much cut off from the rest of the world in this country never mind America (I'm tempted to say Westminster but this isn't the political thread).

I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like but it's Amazon so I guess I'll have to stick with the comic. :(

radiator

Can you not get it on iTunes in the UK?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 24 May, 2016, 04:57:54 PM
Can you not get it on iTunes in the UK?

So you can... that surprises me. £2.49 per (HD) episode, or a 'season pass' for £20.99.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Yeah, weird - I thought Amazon had dibs on it over here.

radiator

I imagine that they have exclusive streaming rights, but other sites can sell downloads.

I'm watching via iTunes. I'm pretty sure the pilot was free, but maybe that is US only?

radiator

this may be a stretch, but its interesting how they're (maybe, possibly) tying hints of The Grail into Cassidy's backstory, and (jumping a few steps ahead) maybe that's how Jesse ends up getting The Grail after him.

Seems like a smart move, writing-wise, as is tying Tulip's backstory much closer to Jesse's.

Imo works much better than the three just randomly bumping into each other in quite a clumsy way as per the comic.

In any case, I like what they're doing with Cassidy.

Tjm86

Hey thanks for that.  Might take a punt on that just to see what it is like.

Toni Scandella

I already had Prime so bargain :)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 24 May, 2016, 08:24:10 PM
I already had Prime so bargain :)

Me too plus I have an Amazon Fire Stick jammed in the back of my TV so it's all good.

Keef Monkey

Two weeks until the next episode (apparently the pilot went out a week early as a sort of sneak preview after Fear The Walking Dead to capitalize on those viewers and generate buzz before the proper series premiere next week - so next week is just the pilot again)!

Makes sense, but it'll be a long two weeks, I'm already really looking forward to more.