Main Menu

Morrowind

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 24 October, 2013, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks... I have passed this info onto my friend.....

(Let's hope he stops playing HIS game long enough to try it out...)

The Doctor Alt 8

Damn it is happening AGAIN...

I know it isn't a hard wear problem.... BUT every one in a while there is an electronic "clunk" sound" and the mouse is disconnected from the game as a controller.

leaving me pretty much helpless.

the only option I have is to wait (seconds, minutes, hours...) for the bloody thing to "clunk" and re connect by itself OR

turn the computer off....

jackstarr

That does sound like a hardware issue - faulty USB connection on your laptop, possibly?  Try plugging your mouse into another USB slot and see if that fixes it.

Another thing you can try is adjusting your computer's power settings - if it's set to a "power saving" setting, then it might be trying to conserve power by switching off the USB either after a period of inactivity or if the pc is being pushed harder than usual.  Are you on Windows 7, or Vista?

The Doctor Alt 8

Niether  ... Its a v old desktop running windows XP and it happens regardless of which slot I use. Never lose mouse control on anything else

jackstarr

It may not happen with anything else, as nothing else may push your system as hard as Morrowind does.

Try: Right-click My Computer, select Properties, select Hardware, select Device Manager.  Scroll down to
Universal Serial Bus Controllers, open the plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, scroll down the list to USB Root Hub and highlight.  Right-click that entry and choose Properties.  A window will open with four tabs.  Choose Power Management.  The page should say USB Root Hub and below that, should be a box ticked for "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power"  Untick that box and close.  Close all dialog boxes, including Device Manager.

The other thing you can try is uninstalling the mouse driver...that'll often fix things.

The Doctor Alt 8

Sigh...
I got halfway through Jackstarrs excellent advice when the mouse disconnected so I couldn't complete the task...

and I don't know how to uninstall my mouse's software...

( Not that it matters... Totally stuck on the dead horker quest. Can't get that Kris the rickling to the banquet hall entrance... And without him I can't get in... He can't get through the icicles...)

jackstarr

UESP says that's a known bug:

QuoteKrish may become stuck or frozen once the last grahl has been killed.

This can be fixed with console commands - open your console, click on Krish, and type:
SetPos, x, 370
SetPos, y, -178
SetPos, z, -117.

The Doctor Alt 8

Em you DO realize that I am unable to get any cheat code to work... don't you?

jackstarr

Oh?

I thought you had that sorted by now - we were talking a while back about the tilde key, and the correct key to use on a UK keyboard (the one to the left of "1", below "Esc" and above "Tab").

When you press that key, do you not then get the ability to type?

The Doctor Alt 8

Oh I can type in the console box....

but it utterly refuses to acknowledge any code I but in....

the same problem happened with another rpg game.... It would only accept one cheat code... ( fortunately it was the "kill all enemies" so I could live with that. ) But Morrowind doesn't accept any.

jackstarr

Ok, so there must be something really simple that you've missed.

Try opening the console, and type the simplest code:

tcl

Press enter when you've typed it - and then press the console key again to leave the console. Now you should be able to fly around, going straight through objects.

Does this work?

The Doctor Alt 8

Just tcl?

no player1>/ player_1>  before it?

jackstarr

nope.

Some codes, like the one I just posted, are global, and all you need is the code itself.

Some codes work on the subject - ie. you need to open the console, then click on the thing you want to apply the code to.

Other codes need to edit the player character, in which case you need to type
Player->
before the rest of the code.   For example:
Player->AddItem "Gold 001" 500
will add 500 gold to your inventory.

The Doctor Alt 8

Yes! That code did work!  :D

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: jackstarr on 27 January, 2014, 08:45:18 AM
UESP says that's a known bug:

QuoteKrish may become stuck or frozen once the last grahl has been killed.

This can be fixed with console commands - open your console, click on Krish, and type:
SetPos, x, 370
SetPos, y, -178
SetPos, z, -117.

Ok tried this.... It refuses to let me enter the last line...
then tells me that the code is not acceptable due to the lack of last x axis line!