Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I intended to give up arguing this, but as the Smallville thread proved, Joe - you love it, you tart.  For the record, I'm not saying people aren't allowed to enjoy the movie, I'm just saying that it's a dumb film and liking it makes you worse than Hitler.

I'd guessed Fassbender was Irish, but that bit near the end is the only time his accent really slips onscreen.  I assume they shot that scene before others and he hadn't nailed the accent he used in the rest of the flick.  Well, that, or Fassbender was rendering a meta-commentary on the idea of Magneto at that point becoming a terrorist by using the language of terrorism - an Irish accent.

Quote from: Robin Low on 08 June, 2011, 06:05:59 PM
You're rephrasing - as negatively as possible - what's actually said to suit your argument.

I rephrase for humorous intent - clearly those words are not from the film.  I do however explain my point, and those words sum the matter up: Xavier tells Magneto to be the better man and forgive, yet fails to do just that himself when the time comes.
A dick and a hypocrite.

QuoteThe bit I was referring to was Xavier's final action of the film, namely the memory wipe, demonstrating his lessening trust of humans.

I dunno... Superman did it, so can it really be that bad an action to take?  If Superman raped a nun I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

QuoteI'd need to see the film again, but given that Xavier didn't want Shaw killed and was also fully aware of the situation one presumes there was another option.

If there was, the script failed to enlighten us - it did however go out of its way to reinforce that Shaw needed to die.  Killing him was hardly the means to convincingly demonise Magneto, though his wobbler with the missiles and the fleets did at least offer further explanation - albeit one slightly marred by the presence of a teleporting chap and at least two people capable of flight.

Robin Low

Quote from: Professah Byah on 08 June, 2011, 09:43:08 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 08 June, 2011, 06:05:59 PM
You're rephrasing - as negatively as possible - what's actually said to suit your argument.

I rephrase for humorous intent - clearly those words are not from the film.  I do however explain my point, and those words sum the matter up: Xavier tells Magneto to be the better man and forgive, yet fails to do just that himself when the time comes.
A dick and a hypocrite.

At what point does Xavier fail to forgive Magneto? As I remember it, Magneto blames MacTaggert for the bullet that hits Xavier, but Xavier, bluntly but truthfully, points out that it's Magneto's fault. Pointing out the truth is not the same as failing to forgive. Also, another reason for him to be so blunt is not to be unforgiving, but to bring the point home to Magneto (his actions have consequences) and also save MacTaggert from his anger, grief and guilt (the emotions that are ultimately controlling him).

QuoteI'd need to see the film again, but given that Xavier didn't want Shaw killed and was also fully aware of the situation one presumes there was another option.

If there was, the script failed to enlighten us - it did however go out of its way to reinforce that Shaw needed to die.  Killing him was hardly the means to convincingly demonise Magneto, though his wobbler with the missiles and the fleets did at least offer further explanation - albeit one slightly marred by the presence of a teleporting chap and at least two people capable of flight.

It's likely there there's a problem with the script at this point. However, as it stands I still don't think the dialogue or the actions of the characters supports what you're saying about them.

Regards

Robin

Professor Bear

A good thing, then, that I have proved it with science.

Rogue Reader

I saw x-men the other day was a bit disapointed maybe expected too much after kick-ass. Was it just me or were the fight sceens a bit flat?
I saw Triagle yesterday the horror film set on a criuse ship it was not scary but had some good idears init.
QuoteCaught bits of Soldier last night, there were a couple of references that sounded familiar (the Tannhauser Gate being one) so I gave it a wiki, and learned it was apparently written and intended as a spin-off from Blade Runner. The soldiers are essentially supposed to be the replicants, keeping the peace on the off world colonies. Didn't watch the whole thing so don't know if that angle was done away with, but it looked like fun in a cheddar sort of way.
Talking of Soldier wasnt it ment to be the Rogue Trooper film we were promised in the Rogue Trooper annual?

Orlok

On the subject of Soldier I remember reading somewhere that it was set in the same universe as Blade Runner (with the Tannhauser Gate ref) and Event Horizon as well as Aliens/Predator/Terminator. Apparently there is a Blade Runner spinner and a T-800 endoskeleton in the junkyard scenes, but I never looked that closely.

Orlok

The Bourne Ultimatum
Enjoyed it, but was a bit freaky that Bourne is not only a super-assassin but also apparently part Terminator. He was [spoiler]blown up, fell off a building and was apparently drowned (but came to and just swam off)[/spoiler]. The fuck?

Escape From New York
Not seen this film in about 15 years so sat down to watch it with the missus.

10 minutes in she was pointing out that it was so hammy it probably could only be watched by infidels. She was right. And she thinks Twilight is "cool", so that's how wrong she usually is.

Looking at this with new eyes it's full of truly remarkable coincidences.

Snake just happens to be at Liberty awaiting his transfer (due in 2 hours) when the President's plane takes a tumble.

The Doctor at Liberty just so happens to have those micro charges on standby. Why do they have them in the first place?

Snake is just getting friendly with a girl when the Crazies break through the floor exactly where she is standing.

After being chased by said Crazies, Snake blindly zig zags through a building and down a back alley. Astonishingly, Cabbie (who he had met several blocks away) just so happens to show up at the end of that alley to save him.

Cabbie has been driving the same cab in NY for 30 years. How is he in a Max Security prison that has only been in place for 9 years? Did they just wall him in and he didn't notice?

Cabbie takes Snake to see Brain, who just so happens to be a buddy of Snake's and knows exactly where the Pres is. Handy.

Snake flew the Gullfire over Leningrad and amazingly Bob Hauk just happens to have one on standby. What are the odds?

The scrutiny doesn't end there.

I found it puzzling that everyone in the prison seems to know who Plissken is and assumes he is dead.
Now, consider this. Cabbie knows him by sight and reputation (presumably from the fabled bank job which took place right before this film according to the deleted scene- Plissken is even wearing the same clothes in said scene). Cabbie remarks he has been driving the same cab in NY for 30 years. This implies he has been there since the prison's inception in 1988 as for him to have left the cab in 1988, been naughty enough to warrant a Max Security stretch and imprisoned eight and a half years later seems utterly ridiculous. So, how does he know who Snake is and what he looks like if he has been banged up in NY for the last 9 years? The same goes for every prisoner who knows Snake. How could they possibly know anything about him unless he has been on the run for nearly 10 years after becoming public enemy numero uno?

Brain has a map of the bridge mines from a bloke who got all the way across and was shot dead. How did they get the map if he didn't make it back? If somebody went back for it, then they must have navigated the mines too so why don't they just rely on this person's info as they seem to know where the mines are? Unless the map was on a very long piece of elastic.

The Gullfire is a "jet glider". The name makes it sound like Airwolf and cutting edge military tech but it doesn't seem to have a jet engine (it even has to be towed to take off) so is pretty weak as a rescue vehicle.
It also seems to have one seat so how is the President meant to get out with Snake? Is he going to hang on the tail?
The safest bet would have been to parachute Snake in to land on the WTC, get him to rescue the POTUS and then airlift the pair of them off the roof. Too simple and won't involve an explosive cab ride?

The secret safety catch on the tracker bracelet is visible from Mars.

How do the prisoners eat? Even a Max Security prison feeds the inmates and a lot of them look well fed (especially Cabbie and Isaac Hayes), so where is the grub coming from? It ain't rats or dead bodies, either.

Women and men are confined in the same prison which seems utterly ridiculous. And if this place is Maximum Security, what are Cabbie and Maggie doing there? They don't look like hardened crims.

In short, fond teenage memories pissed on.
Now, where's my copy of Commando...

TordelBack

Orlok man, you got it bad.

Emp

THE MECHANIC

did exactly what it said on the tin and showed Statham off to his best, not too much heavy dialouge and people getting fucked up.
Long as yer not expecting greatness but mereley eye candy you cant go wrong.

Orlok

QuoteOrlok man, you got it bad.

I just found AvP Requiem on the hard drive. Maybe that will shake me out of my depression... ;)

radiator

Currently two episodes into State of Play - the BBC TV series from 2003 - not the (inferior) Hollywood movie adaptation from a couple of years back.

It's a really slick and polished conspiracy thriller with a pretty incredible cast and crew. Directed by David Yates (Harry Potters 5, 6, 7 and 8), written by Paul Abbot (Shameless, Cracker), and with a hugely likable cast including David Morrissey, John Simm, Philip Glenister, James McAvoy, Kelly MacDonald, Bill Nighy, Marc Warren, Benny Wong and Sean Gilder.

It's surprisingly funny too - lots of nice little character moments amongst all the serious stuff.

HOO-HAA

Just wrapped on THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE. Pretty decent thriller. Couldn't get on with the books at all but - so far - really enjoying the flicks. Bit of Scooby Doo action at the end, with the reveal, but overall a decent flick. Definitely worth a spin.

Rogue Reader

I watched all three they are good but the first is the best by miles.
I saw the trailer for the remake the other day looks goods but for some reason I thought they would be setting it in the US to give it a new spin but no it looks like its going to be a sceen by sceen remake for thick people who dont want to read sub titles.
Has anyone here seen the blue ray of Payback I got it the other day, I have been going about it to my girl friend saying it is a good revenge film and one of the last good Mel films before he really went "Mad". We watched the directors cut over the theater cut as I thought it would just cosmetic changes how wrong I was it started off with just a few sceens that were different and it seemed slower and not as cool as I remebered then I relised they had gotten rid of Kris Kristofferson completely replacing him with a womens voice on an intercom so the whole ending is different, it now ends with a crap shoot out on a train station. My girlfriend now has no idea why I liked the film, I did think this must have been the first draft that went to preveiw sceenings and had changes made before release but there is a doc on the disc which I still have to watch that seems to be saying this cut was made for blue ray.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Orlok on 10 June, 2011, 09:01:12 AM
On the subject of Soldier I remember reading somewhere that it was set in the same universe as Blade Runner (with the Tannhauser Gate ref) and Event Horizon as well as Aliens/Predator/Terminator. Apparently there is a Blade Runner spinner and a T-800 endoskeleton in the junkyard scenes, but I never looked that closely.

If you look at the main character's war record on the computer screen, you'll notice even more references, including refs to levels from the original Doom as past campaigns in which the soldiers were deployed.

Van Dom

Rec 2.
Was initially a bit disappointed when it began because somehow I'd gotten myself confused with the originals and the re-makes and thought this was a sequel to the American one. So when this came on in Spanish, after I was all set with my tea and choccie piccies, I was a bit..awwwwwwwwww.... Wasn't really in the mood for subtitles! But, as it happened, this was bloody brilliant. And flippin' scary. Good job I seen it too, as seemingly the sequel to the American re-make (called Quarantine) isn't going to follow the plot of Rec 2 at all and instead will be a new story altogether.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

mygrimmbrother

Have to agree with you there Van Dom - Rec 2 is one of my favourite horror movies of recent years. The first one was pretty good but I didn't find it to be particulalry memorable, whereas the second one just blew me away. I'm aware that statement sounds odd - especially when the second film picks up exactly where the first one left off and is basically a retread of the same sets and situations. But there's just something so frantic, urgent, and downright terrifying about it.

I'm sure I'll watch the US remake, but I'll probably regret it.