Main Menu

Detectorists

Started by von Boom, 04 December, 2017, 08:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Is no one else watching the latest series?

skurvy

I am and it's delightful.

von Boom

Except for the bloody [spoiler]magpies[/spoiler].

TordelBack

Saving the third series for a nice long Christmas binge. Despite real-life detectorists being my sworn enemies, the first season is probably my favourite sitcom of the last 20 years, the second season almost as good. Even the Christmas special was good, and that's a rare trick indeed!

von Boom

Turns out this is going to be the last series for Detectorists.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: von Boom on 09 December, 2017, 06:18:07 PM

It always was...
@jamesfeistdraws

von Boom

manwithnoname

Quote from: von Boom on 09 December, 2017, 06:18:07 PM

I thought it was actually supposed to end after Series 2 and the Xmas one-off, so the third series was a lovely surprise, even if it wasn't quite as good as the previous two.

A brilliant programme, gentle, funny, clever and nice. Loved it.

The Legendary Shark

Watched Season Three last week, after re-watching the first two. Loved it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

I've never watched it, but given the glowing reports above will give the first series a bash!  :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Definitely worth a go - the phrase "gentle comedy" is usually a TV euphemism for "not funny" but this is warm touching and beautifully observed. Toby Jones is outstanding

manwithnoname

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 January, 2018, 02:19:30 PM
Definitely worth a go - the phrase "gentle comedy" is usually a TV euphemism for "not funny" but this is warm touching and beautifully observed. Toby Jones is outstanding

Everyone in it is pretty awesome, but Jones is the standout; Lance is just a great character and Jones plays the role beautifully and naturally.

And yeah, "gentle" is often bandied around as a negative, and it has been cruelly described as "Last Of The Summer Wine for Millennials", but they're just mean people, and not every comedy needs tragedy, snark or bitterness.

It's true that it isn't exactly a gag-a-minute like Father Ted or whatever, but it's just great and I don't like anyone who disagrees.

Proudhuff

Quote from: manwithnoname on 17 January, 2018, 02:25:31 PM

Everyone in it is pretty awesome, but Jones is the standout; Lance is just a great character and Jones plays the role beautifully and naturally.

And yeah, "gentle" is often bandied around as a negative, and it has been cruelly described as "Last Of The Summer Wine for Millennials", but they're just mean people, and not every comedy needs tragedy, snark or bitterness.

It's true that it isn't exactly a gag-a-minute like Father Ted or whatever, but it's just great and I don't like anyone who disagrees.

That sounds so like my favourite: 'Early Doors' a great gentle comedy.
DDT did a job on me

manwithnoname

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 January, 2018, 03:14:44 PM

Ah, yes. I enjoyed that too. Although Detectorists makes Early Doors look like "It's Only Sunny In Philadelphia"

By way of explanation, the major protaganists in "Detectorists" are a rival metal-detecting duo, and the vicious interchanges are mainly about the what name they use for their detecting club, the quality of their equipment, which pub they drink in and who has the rights to detect in which field ("This is our permission!")

It's like a bucolic version of The Wire sometimes

Dandontdare

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 January, 2018, 03:14:44 PM

"crime won't crack itself!"  :lol: