Main Menu

Prog 2137 : Mind how you go...

Started by Darren Stephens, 22 June, 2019, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Dredd Without entering the Kenny Who? debate (..oops  :think:) I would just say this is one of the best Dredd's I've read in a while with a script so sharp you could get paper cuts reading it.

Anderson Excellent cover -but inside the artwork is disappointingly cartoony (also unclear as to precisely going on) with a slightly muddled script.

Used to really look forward to Anderson, but it seems an age now since she has been in a story worthy of her character - she really needs a new meaningful long arc -rather than constantly chipping away at her with these forgettable  one off stories that seem to go nowhere

AlexF

I'm very much hoping that Kenneth Niemand is in fact Kenneth Niemand - it is a legit surname, even if it happens to mean 'no-one'. I don't believe a new writer has to be a tried and tested comics and/or Dredd scribe, just because s/he's producing very good quality work. For my money Messers Carroll and McConville came out of the gate with excellent 2000AD writing skillz. I suppose on that logic I should deduce that Mr Niemand is Irish...

Lots of great strips this week, but I'm stuck on the cover. On the one hand, it's the most gorgeous depiction of Cass Anderson perhaps ever (even taking into account some top level cheesecake from Bolland and Ewins), and I think it lands just the right side of objectification. And clearly it is catching the eye of potential new readers! But it still bugs me that the default drawing of Anderson shows her in her 20s. Pretty sure a 50s Anderson can be/is just as attractive, if that's the look Tharg wants to push.

I know there was that one story where Grant revealed that Anderson makes herself look younger (using wig and I guess makeup) to put perps off their guard, but this smacks of full-on youthfulness makeover, which doesn't seem very in-character for ol' Cass.

BPP

Comics 2019 - Male gaze is perfectly fine if it's a female artist.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 July, 2014, 03:08:39 PM
Quote from: Frank on 27 June, 2019, 08:22:37 PM
Why they might not sign their work is probably answered by the suggestion that enjoying a story is evidence that it's ©John Wagner

I'd like to see the writer's name not appearing on the Dredd strip, too. I reckon that's confuse most of the 'Wagner or nothing' agruements...

As I was typing that, I knew I could remember someone suggesting anonymising the Dredd credits.

Richmond Clements is an anagram of Kenneth Niemand.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 June, 2019, 05:53:16 PM
Quote from: athorist on 27 June, 2019, 05:29:08 PM
Another possibility is that it's Matt Smith (Tharg or the former Doctor Who, either one). That would also make sense (if it's Tharg) with the Starlord story, and if this is important continuity.

As has been said before: there is literally no chance that the editor would be handing himself prime writing jobs on his own title under a pseudonym. That would be a thing unheard of since the dark days of Alan MacKenzie and the sheer outrage from the freelancers would make your average Pat Mills blog post look like a summary of The Archers.

Today's Archers was pretty shocking - I'd thought the mystery of the last few weeks would have something to do with cheating and parentage, but then that was revealed.  First time I've heard a "if you are affected by issues raised" message at the end of the Archers!

Proudhuff

QuoteToday's Archers was pretty shocking - I'd thought the mystery of the last few weeks would have something to do with cheating and parentage, but then that was revealed.  First time I've heard a "if you are affected by issues raised" message at the end of the Archers!

I'd guess that what had happened after Jim's keyboard destruction! Heavy stuff but well played by the everyone involved, even Jazza  :-X
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Well cos I messed up me Sub (card got stolen forgot to change details) I got a twofer today and what a delight its been. Not perfect, but then Progs so rarely are.

The cover is a little cheesecake for my tastes if expertly rendered.

Kenneth Neimand  continues to perplex folks here (I'm with Fungus as I've joked here before hope there's not some poor bloke called Kenny getting really dishearted by us all assuming its a pseudonym... but come on it is isn't it.) while he delights with  Dredd in  second part just continues 'The Samaritan' brilliant. Its beautifully rendered by Staz Johnson. I adore the exchange between Patsy and Rico.

Scarlet Traces does much the same it just brilliant and I think goes some way to explain (I think) why I'm not big on the art in Anderson. The colouring there just isn't working for me and the contrast between the two strips is significent!. Still the story is pretty good and I like this slow underthread that Beeby is weaving.

Thistlebone continues to playful drip out the tension. I've not read something like this since Cradlegrave. Okay that's a lazy comparison as this is clearly a different beast but the sense of atmosphere and off camera dread is palpable in both strips. This is turning into a bit of a classic.

Absalom likewise builds tension with craft all be it using more straightforward horror tools to do so. Brilliant stuff.

Overall a bit of a winning Prog.... now immediately to this weeks.

Richard

I wouldn't feel bad for Mr Niemand if I were you. If everyone thinks your name must be a pseudonym primarily because your work is too good to have been produced by a new writer, then that's a compliment.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 23 June, 2019, 04:04:38 PMgot to act fast! I'm enjoying this Dredd a lot, although I'm not sure why the [spoiler]robo-judge thought clones would be psychically connected[/spoiler].

Well,  because they are.  It was how Dredd tracked down Kraken when he was first introduced.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 30 June, 2019, 10:23:52 AM
Further mystery man musings now available on Twitter
https://twitter.com/KennethNiemand

Well now he's, she, they are just teasing us!

Blue Cactus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 June, 2019, 10:07:06 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 23 June, 2019, 04:04:38 PMgot to act fast! I'm enjoying this Dredd a lot, although I'm not sure why the [spoiler]robo-judge thought clones would be psychically connected[/spoiler].

Well,  because they are.  It was how Dredd tracked down Kraken when he was first introduced.

Succinctly put, ta!

MacabreMagpie

I really hope there's an interview on the Thrillcast with Kenneth Niemand at some point and they change his voice like when someone who witnessed a crime is on the news.

Link Prime

james newell

did i miss something,[spoiler] what is Rico doing in this story, when was he reintroduced again as a character or another clone named Rico?[/spoiler]