Main Menu

1572 Mega Cities NIGHT MAYOR

Started by philt, 04 February, 2008, 10:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

I am really enjoying the Stront now, and I think its only problem is that its two stories in one - the Billy Glum fall out stuff from Traitor in the first few eps just seems to clash with the very neat "Why Alpha and Co aren't millionaires" thrust of the current eps.  I can see the reason Glum is there, but its still a weird mix thats got slightly in the way of a nice exploration of just how much bounty hunting is a hard way to make a living, let alone a killing.  and it still hangs over the strip - presuming Alpha and GLum are gonna have to get a pardon somehow.

Richmond Clements

I am really enjoying the Stront now, and I think its only problem is that its two stories in one

Yeah, as we were saying at the weekend- the present tale is a bit of a 'greatest hits' package, though having said that, it's John Wagner we're dealing with here, and I don't discount the possibility of a sudden dark twist in the tale towards the end.

Funt Solo

For me, Stront's the weakest thing in the prog, and yet it's still a great strip.  Pretty much my favourite of the post-death Alpha strips, and the first one to out-perform the reboot / advert that was "The Kreeler Conspiracy".

I haven't liked the high concept nature of the earlier ones, especially The Tax Dodge ("they're tied to an accountant!") and A Shaggy Dog Story ("they're all bald!").  Maybe if each prog had been served with 4 beers and a couple of vodka chasers, those ideas would have appeared funny for longer than a heartbeat.

Current prog at all time high, though.

Kingdom is my favourite strip in a long time, out-performing all others.  I'd happily take a full prog of it as a special, is how much I love it - and the only thing that worries me is that it might end - at all - and unhappily.

Then, in order (because I haven't in ages):

Stickleback - I didn't think much of the first series as it was more about some bearded bloke than Stickleback, who only guest starred in it.  This is much more the thing.  I do hate SB, because he's a smug, spiney bastard - and yet now I'm sort of forced to root for him against the kiddy-eating mad cowboy demon.

Judge Dredd - it's got PJ in it.  And Beeny.

Shakara - he had to develop, because otherwise it's just "Shakara vs. new unbeatable badass that he then beats easily, which is fun to watch".  Great art, and a great style, carry this much further than is probably normally allowed.

Strontium Dog.  (It's good, and all, but instead of this, Carlos could be doing more Cursed Earth Koburn.  Ah, if only we could clone Carlos...)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Byron Virgo

"Lordy, is that an obscure Kim Newman reference on the cover?"

Does it mark me as being an especially sad individual that, when I first saw the cover, I began looking for some sort of reference to Truro Daine?

TordelBack

Dear grud, I'm agreeing with funt 100%.  Have I fallen into a twisted mirror universe?  Must check co-workers for goatees (or absence f, in some cases).

Bad Andy

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/1572.jpg">

Jim_Campbell

I have to say that thing I find particularly heartening thing about the fantastic quality of this post-Christmas run is the diversity of strips.

When I think back to what I remember as "golden" spells in bygone eras, they tend to be characterised by a profusion of the title's big hitters all in the prog at the same time: Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, Slaine, Nemesis ...

Here, we don't even have the more recent regulars like Dante or SinDex. We have Dredd and Stront, but the strength of Stickleback, Shakara and Kingdom is really gratifying and speaks well for the future health of the title.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Made me want to buy it. Very Good Stuff.

Dredd: I have a slight worry that these threads will be sidelined after this tale is over and Beeny will get DeMarcoed (or possibly even Castilloed), but that's why I am a terrible person who deserves to die. Great Stuff/Really Great Stuff.

Shakara: People will bitch about Robbie doing his shtick here. I think it would of come off better if this had been a more regular strip and we were all starting to get bored with our guy waving his swords around. I hope this leads to a good payout that does justice to the pervading sense of menace that's always been lurking. Very Good Stuff.

Stront: Greatest hits but still fresh. Beautiful art. Great Stuff.

Kingdom: If you'd told me 2 years ago that DAbnett would be the best writer in the prog after Wagner I would have punched you and gone back to my Grennie shrine. Although I do have a slight worry that he could start to go all Millsian eco-wank on us. Great Stuff.

Stickleback: If I had to choose between this or Red Seas as the regular Edgy strip (or as the only Edgy strip), then Jack wins hands down. There, I fucking said it. I don't care anymore. Good Stuff.  
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Funt Solo

:"characterised by a profusion of the title's big hitters all in the prog at the same time: Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, Slaine, Nemesis"

Aye, but all but Stront and Dredd were new once as well.

Take the prog 335 - 345 run:

Judge Dredd: The Graveyard Shift
Slaine: Warrior's Dawn
Nemesis the Warlock: Book III
Strontium Dog: The Moses Incident
Rogue Trooper: From Hell to Eternity

With that, Rogue's the weakest (but still strong) link, and Slaine's in only his 6th episode of the opening run.  That's newer than anything in the current prog, and Shakara (at Book 3) compares well with Nemesis.

I know what you mean, though: you'd expect a top prog of stalwarts these days to consist of Dredd, Stront, Nikolai Dante, Sinister Dexter and something else.  Shakara, Kingdom and Stickleback all feel decidedly new.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JOE SOAP

Dredd: I have a slight worry that these threads will be sidelined after this tale is over and Beeny will get DeMarcoed (or possibly even Castilloed)

Don't think so, Beeny is being built up to be too much of a major character to be offed or cast off. There's no one else in the Dredd pantheon that carries the same unique potential, consider her history and what she may eventually mean to the Meg...

Peter Wolf

Not a review .Well sort of.

What pleases me more than anything is the almost universal praise for Kingdom.I liked it immediately but did think at the time that it probably wouldnt appeal to everyone as i usually like strips in 2000ad that are not everyones cup of tea.

I like the character [as i like my non human characters] the art ,everything really.This is good news because mass appeal will almost guarantee more of it in the future which pleases me no end.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Trout

I didn't like the first series of Kingdom immediately, but really got into it when I re-read it all in one go.

The second series is really cooking with gas, and the art suits it perfectly.

- Trout

vzzbux

Unless Kingdom goes off on a massive tangent I cant see this going for more than a couple more books, which would be a huge shame as this is the best new story to grace the prog for a long time.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

the shutdown man

I gotta admit, I didn't like Kingdom much when it first appeared. Each episode seemed to be "Wander a bit, stand still and listen to the urgings, fight Them, to be continued..." But it grew on me after a few progs and it has turned into one of the better thrills going on right now.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Floyd-the-k

could you explain the obscure Kim Newman reference on the cover to those of us who know nothing of Kim Newman?