Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Christov on 17 November, 2009, 11:56:09 PM
Postman willing, I should have The Question – Zen and Violence come tomorrow. I do love me some Denny O'Neil.

I really liked that O'Neil/Cowan series -- if you've not read it before, you should really enjoy it.

Rick Magyar was a perfectly good inker for Cowan, but I think it's worth mentioning that his ideal inker was actually Bill Sienkiewicz, which is the only way that I could think of improving that run ...

DC are soliciting Cowan and Sienkiewicz on The Question in Jan 2010, by the way ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Christov

Oh Jim, now you've got me all hyped and flustered.

Bolt-01

I have finally finished China Meiville's Perdido Street Station. I really enjoyed it, there were 'some' rather predictable moments and one rather stupendous Deux Ex, but the characters were absolutely astounding and the inventiveness of the setting was superb. Next is Grandville.

Roger Godpleton

Finished Grandville the other day and I would say it's possibly Talbot's best, IMO.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mike Gloady

I read that rather recently too, Bolt.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  And it IS stupendous, isn't it?  
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

strontium_dog_90

I'm really looking forward to getting "Grandville" when I get paid - the creator himself is doing a signing at ny local Waterstones in a few weeks, too, so might go the full nerd hog and get some stuff signed!

Just finished the new Stephen King book, too, and I'm happy to report that it's a great return to form. Well worth getting, for any lapsed fans.

wild-seven

I'm just finishing 'Fanny Hill' - nothing like a bit of 18th century filth to while away a stormy evening!
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 November, 2009, 11:58:38 PM
I know some of us keep banging on about it ...

But Morrison's really doing the business on Batman and Robin ...

Cheers!

Jim

Just finished reading this issue. I'm running out of superlatives.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 19 November, 2009, 08:24:14 PM
Just finished reading this issue. I'm running out of superlatives.

It's just a genuine pleasure, isn't it?

I haven't really read much of Morrison's mainstream US stuff -- I pretty much stopped buying US comics just as he started landing the really high profile gigs, so I think I'm going to have to rectify that. Any suggestions as to where I should start?

Cheers!

Jim

Richmond Clements

This book has started me picking up US books again too.
I'm doing a bit of grazing- reading 28 Days Later, the new Batgirl book, Capt America Reborn (out of curiosity more than anything else) and the odd random thing that catches me eye.
Morrison's JLA stuff is worth reading- I've got some of the trades and they are great- he really understands how the superhero thing works, and has the relationship between the Big Three down perfectly.

I, Cosh

I liked his XMen quite a lot and JLA was full of great little character moments for everyone. Even bloody Aztek.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

QuoteCapt America Reborn (out of curiosity more than anything else)

All of the Brubaker Cap trades are brilliant comics.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Tiplodocus

I'm reading PAINTING RUBY TUESDAY at the moment.  I'm pretty sure it's a girl's book (I borrowed it from Mrs Tips because she was laughing so much while reading it I felt honour bound to see what the fuss was about).

Oh and BATMAN and ROBIN.  STill brilliant but I wish Quietely was on interior art.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Paul faplad Finch

So I'm continuing my read of the old Detective Comics and come across an ad for the first issue of Action Comics. Ah, I think, I wonder...

Yep, the same site has all the early Action stuff too. Was surprised to see Superman on the cover of issue 1 though. I'd assumed that he came along some time later, in the same way Batman/Detective happened.

I realise my (woefully inadequate to begin with) geek credibility has just been obliterated. Never mind.

Meanwhile, in the world of words without pictures, all the talk of King has reminded me that I have yet to read Duma Key or the collection of shorts he brought out a while back. This after years of being first in line for new King material. Not sure what changed. Can't realy claim disilussionment as I enjoyed Cell and Lisey.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 November, 2009, 11:32:20 PM

Oh and BATMAN and ROBIN.  STill brilliant but I wish Quietely was on interior art.

I can't disagree with that. On the other hand, it's nice to see a high-profile book that's maintaining something approximating a monthly schedule, which having Quitely as the sole (or even main) artist would preclude.

On balance, I like having the book come out on a reasonably reliable schedule ... if there were two and three month gaps between issues, I suspect I'd lose interest quite rapidly.

Cheers

Jim