Main Menu

Anyone else think 'Jim'll Paint It' should be invited to be guest cover artist?

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 04 July, 2014, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Apart from the fact his MS Paint images, completed on request, are great fun, he also has 363,294 Facebook followers, so great exposure. Could do a great character composite I reckon. Images have a certain Steve Samson qualist. I floated the idea on Facebook and seems to go down well with everyone I canvassed. You know it makes sense!

https://www.facebook.com/JimllPaintIt?fref=ts

Proudhuff

sound like a horror crossing of Jim'll fix it and the Rolf Harris Show  :(
DDT did a job on me

Adrian Bamforth

Frank

Losing the digital nature of his work would rob it of much of its point, but why not. It'd present a unique opportunity to own a print of his art, and if Mark Millar can drum up publicity for his comic by handing out work to famous names, then so can Tharg.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

CrazyFoxMachine

Well in which case I can think of NO SINGLE REASON why he wouldn't be totally suitable to do a cover. .....well apart from the fact that the in-joke wouldn't be immediately apparent to all consumers and folk'd be like "blimey 2000 AD really let the quality slip there!" Good exposure for five minutes now arrr but that's one cover that'll date horribly...

Nothing against the guys skills but as funny as he is the I'm-drawing-something-unfeasible-on-Paint thing is its not exactly immediate cover dynamite. A lot of time the picture goes hand in hand with the description. There is a better way you could get him in - a feature inside the end of year prog say where readers/droids/eds request 2000 AD things.

He did that for I think... Q Magazine with pop folk getting free reign to request stuff from him. I think that'd have much more scope for in-jokery AND you'd still get to harvest some of those precious precious likes.

Dandontdare

yup - an interesting idea for a Meg feature but not a cover.

It would be like Buttonman actually WINNING an art comp!

I, Cosh

Yeah.

No idea what the relative cost would be but imagine that instead of saving up for another boring, static Bolland cover, you got an exciting, contemporary artist to do a cover.

Not so much cash upfront Dinos, but CF would pay way over the odds to keep you and your little men.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 July, 2014, 11:57:40 PM
No idea what the relative cost would be but imagine that instead of saving up for another boring, static Bolland cover, you got an exciting, contemporary artist to do a cover

That would address your concern with static imagery, but how would the reader get the video installation or performance piece adorning that week's cover to 'play'? I like the idea of getting the Chapmans to do one of their wee tableaux, but if they knocked out a cover full of little humbrol painted Grey Area or Inferno guys everyone would think the comic had merged with Warhammer Monthly. Maybe Jake and Dinos could do something for Strontium Dog, though.

Richard

Just because you get a guy with 300,000 Facebook followers to do a cover doesn't mean that any of them will buy that prog. They'll see the cover on the Internet maybe, and think "that's nice," and then move on. Or more likely they will just be indifferent because apart from Dredd they won't know or care who the characters are. As CrazyFoxMachine has pointed out, his popularity really stems from choosing a really outrageous brief that a fan has submitted and making a picture out of that, and half of the fun is in reading the description of what he was asked to draw.

I love 2000AD as much as any of you, but I think that some people here seriously over-estimate how interested people who don't read comics are likely to be in reading a comic.

The Enigmatic Dr X

This seems too gimicky and, I think, is more likely to boost Jim's appeal than that of 2000ad.
Lock up your spoons!

Fungus

Isn't there a shortage of prog-work in general for the regular artists (may have got that from a Meg article) ? No desire to see a FB gimmick-merchant sully the prog.

Tiplodocus

I'd love to see some more Adrian Bamforth art in the prog though. Cover or inside.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.