Main Menu

Meg 384 - Psi-Surf

Started by Timothy, 17 May, 2017, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Well it's not often that a digital subscriber gets to start the new Meg thread. Where is everybody?

All in all it's business as usual this month. A satisfying conclusion to the Gecko tale, with some beautiful art from Mr Richardson; some interesting developments in Havn, with a change on art-duties from Mr Lynch to Mr Flint. I often find mid-story artist changes a little jarring, but the two complement eachother nicely here. Anderson shows signs of opening up into a bigger story than was first suggested, and Lawless continues to be sublime. The floppy, Necrophim, is a curious beast but I've not read it before and for that at least it was welcome.

WhizzBang

I really enjoyed Necrophim and didn't expect to at all. The subject matter was initially off putting as it seemed a bit heavy metal lp cover type stuff but it turned out to be thoroughly entertaining with some good strong characters. I am looking forward to the next instalment.

Does anyone know if the strip well received when it was originally published?

Good news that Cursed Earth Koburn is coming back.

WhizzBang

And nother thing...I was very interested in that Luke Kirby thing. I have not heard of this before but it sounded good.
I am currently reading Harry Potter for the first time with my 8 year old daughter. Neither of us have seen the films before and we are now up to the fourth book. The article says Luke Kirby doesn't have that much in common with HP other than the young boy learning to be a wizard aspect, but that's a good thing really. A 2000ad approach to a basic core simple idea sounds very interesting so I will keep an eye out for this. Is it suitable for young (8 year old) children?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: WhizzBang on 17 May, 2017, 04:05:45 PM
Does anyone know if [Necrophim] well received when it was originally published?

Not by me! The first strip in the prog I've ever stopped reading (normally I read cover to cover, come what may).  Probably works better in one go, though, than crawling along in interminable weekly installments.

That clumsy line on the very first page about 'iphones in heaven' probably set the tone, for me.
@jamesfeistdraws

WhizzBang

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 May, 2017, 04:22:47 PM
That clumsy line on the very first page about 'iphones in heaven' probably set the tone, for me.

Yes, I did wince at that. When mentioning man's achievements they list splitting the atom and putting man on the moon which are both fair enough but they also lump MP3 players in on the same list.

CalHab

Quote from: WhizzBang on 17 May, 2017, 04:17:22 PM
And nother thing...I was very interested in that Luke Kirby thing. I have not heard of this before but it sounded good.
I am currently reading Harry Potter for the first time with my 8 year old daughter. Neither of us have seen the films before and we are now up to the fourth book. The article says Luke Kirby doesn't have that much in common with HP other than the young boy learning to be a wizard aspect, but that's a good thing really. A 2000ad approach to a basic core simple idea sounds very interesting so I will keep an eye out for this. Is it suitable for young (8 year old) children?

It's a great read, with wonderful art. Why not get a copy and vet it before handing it over?

WhizzBang

Thanks, I think I will. Sold.

CalHab

Hope you enjoy it. It's one of the best books Rebellion has put out, in my opinion.

Link Prime

Quote from: WhizzBang on 17 May, 2017, 04:05:45 PM
Good news that Cursed Earth Koburn is coming back.

Was there a creative team announced for this?

CalHab

McConville and Ezquerra, I think.

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 18 May, 2017, 01:09:34 PM
McConville and Ezquerra, I think.

Rory McConville and Carlos Ezquerra - Cursed Earth Koburn: The Law of the Cursed Earth.

Mention also made of the return of the Dark Judges (which we knew about, though I'm not sure if I was aware which comic it was going to appear in) and Chopper.

Alan Grant and Paul Marshall will be back next month with Anderson, Psi-Division: NWO.

Jim_Campbell

I keep mis-reading this thread title as "Psi-Smurf" -- the issue only turned up today and I fear it's going to be a terrible disappointment.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2017, 11:40:12 PM
I keep mis-reading this thread title as "Psi-Smurf" -- the issue only turned up today and I fear it's going to be a terrible disappointment.

As is my wont, I had a look to see if there were any pictures of psychic smurfs on the internet.  I didn't find any, but did find Smurf Warhammer 40k armies and Minion versions of the same...

A.Cow

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2017, 11:40:12 PM

Right now, a shedload of psychoanalysts are choking on their cornflakes as they read this.