Main Menu

The Problem with Judge Dredd 2 and 3 movies

Started by Thread Zero, 24 October, 2001, 03:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

I think we have a slight ironic thing going on here.

Hooray, we are going to have 2 Dredd films that stick faithfully to the character and yet the budget is likely to be for non theatrical release.

Unless Mark 13 can tell me I am wrong.

So we are going to get a cut price Mega City One.

I bet the sad truth is this.

Rebellion were offered an offer they couldn't refuse and were paid handsomely. They don't really care whether Mega City 1 will look naff.

Despite their insistence that they will have editorial control, we are talking about JUGDE DREDD here. MEGA CITY 1!

How can you possibly do the character and his world justice with a company that only makes small budget movies?

I feel it is important that I bring some perspective to this!

Mark 13, what are the film's estimated budgets and are they for cinema release?

I think we are entitled to know.

scojo

Leigh S

When you consider that half of the budget for 'that' movie was Stallones fee, you've already paid for the second film by casting an unknown...  Also, advances in FX mean that you don't need to spend so much to get great images.  And didn't the first film prove that the plot is a HELLUVA lot more important than the FX?

That said, I'm unsure of the wisdom of doing a 'Dredd questions justice dept' plot again.  The idea of corruption in Justice Dept has always been naff, and didn't do the first filmic attempt many favours.  It just confuses the issue of telling the story we all want to see - Dredd being utterly unreasonable and taking logic to twisted extremes in pursuit of the law!  Whatever this film is it should be funny!  When the first film came out we were told that the character had to be made more sympathetic to the audience but look at Dirty Harry - Dredd's closest filmic cousin.  He's an utter bastard and still an icon - Dredd takes that starting point and runs a 100 miles into absurdity with it - the ultimate black comedy/adventure/satire.  Any attempts to be serious and have Dredd question his role are pretty much doomed to failure unless you first establish him as the heartless character we know and love.

Thread Zero

I agree 100% with you Watcher.

I guess the film company fear showing Dredd as he is meant to be.

Keep Dredd on the streets where he belongs you stupid American film company!

No matter how harshly a film portrays Dredd, if the main bad guy is far worse in character, it will work.

But I am not making the film so what do I know?

So it will probably be crap like the original movie.

Such is life!

scojo writing his own Dredd screenplay

GordonR

mark xiii

>So it will probably be crap like the original movie.

Thats a bit closed-minded isnt it? All the 'talk' sounds good - give it a chance huh?

I'm sure it wont be good enough for the mighty Scojo whatever happens, but lets not slag it off the minute an official statement is made!

Mark - Looking forward to seeing them and reading Scojo's (superior, Im sure) screenplay.

Matt

The unofficial word is that Garth Ennis is scripting the plot for the movies, so they can't be crap can they...

(Unofficial meaning made up)

Thread Zero

Did Mark get out of bed on the wrong side this morning I wonder?

However you are probably right and it is best for us to wait and see.

I just hope the budget is big enough to do Dredd justice.

I can't get rid of the feeling it will star Dolph Lungren (forgive the spelling!) and soon appear on Channel 5!

scojo who falls out of bed on the right side
not left

mark xiii

>Did Mark get out of bed on the wrong side this morning I wonder?

Nah, I'm just a grumpy bastard :)

Mark - The happy really.

Mk13

:Rebellion were offered an offer they couldn't refuse and were paid handsomely. They don't really care whether Mega City 1 will look naff.

There's no such thing as an offer we couldn't refuse, if it looked like it would make for a bad film. Even excluding the fact that from a personal fandom point of view we don't want to see a poorly made film, there is no commercial sense in making anything but the best movie possible, because a crap movie would reflect badly on the magazines, the game, and anything else we decide to do with the Dredd licence.

:Despite their insistence that they will have editorial control, we are talking about JUGDE DREDD here. MEGA CITY 1!

JUGDE DREDD!? I thought we were talking about JUDGE DREDD. And we will have editorial control, cos we own the licence.

:How can you possibly do the character and his world justice with a company that only makes small budget movies?

Er, I think you'll find most film companies started off making small budget movies, some of which got noticed, and they suddenly found themselves making somewhat bigger movies. Chucking money at something is no guarantee of quality, and a smaller budget doesn't guarantee something's going to be shit.

:I feel it is important that I bring some perspective to this!

That'd be perspective, M.C. Escher style, I take it... ;)

:Mark 13, what are the film's estimated budgets and are they for cinema release?

Can't tell you, cos I don't know. All will become clear in due course...

Mk13

:Mark 13, what are the film's estimated budgets and are they for cinema release?

Ah, now I do know - here's a quote from Jason:

"Budgets going to be midrange (which means $15 to $30M), it's not yet known where in that range it needs to be), which goes a hugely long way if we don't cast an A-list actor, and we shoot creatively rather than throw money around.  It is planned to be theatrically released.  No casting has happened yet.  We're putting a wish list together right now."

Thread Zero

I got to come back on you Mark 13.

First sorry for JuGde Dredd!
Glad to see I still can't type! Sorry about that one.

I think it would be better for everyone concerned if the rights were sold to a company that has made something budgetary vaguely comparable to Judge Dredd. From viewing the Shoreline website, they make low budget films that get small cinema screenings.

If you don't believe me, look at the site.

I am concerned that Shoreline don't realise what it takes to make a credible Dredd film.
It is all very well making low budget thrillers but Judge Dredd is meant to be an epic sci fi film.

I for one am not happy with the prospect of the Dredd films being low budget made for video or for tiny cinema distribution.

It would seem that the four films Shoreline Entertainment make each year are that.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this but I have severe reservations.

scojo - not M C Escher
Who is he/she?

mark xiii

>...midrange (which means $15 to $30M)...

$15?! Christ, they can make movies cheap these days :)

Can you add Vin Diesel to your 'wish list'? Oh, and while we are wishing... Wish for Clint Eastwood to be 20 years younger.

Mark.

mark xiii

Who's Escher?!

See the last panel of Anderson last week? That step thingy was based on an Escher drawing - Strange and very twisted artist. Just so happens to be my favourite 'real' artist. Followed closely by the other nut-case - Dali.

Mark.

Thread Zero

Thanks for the answer Mark.

All the best then for you and Shoreline. :0)

I am going to the cinema...to see Judge Dredd.
I am going to the cinema..
Who needs Sly....drop dead!

If you need any help with the script email me....

scojo the screenwriter

Matt

This is one hot topic of conversation. I've got to add though that I think it is better for the film to be low budget. For one look at Pear Harbour, big budget, shit film. So big budgets don't go hand in hand with quality film making. Look at Hardware. Low budget, excellent film and it was based on Shokk by Pat Mills & kev O'Neil. Also, look at the advances made in TV Sci-Fi: Babylon 5, StarGate etc all have lower budgets than Starwars yet still manage to look really convincing. I don't think any film company would attempt to revive a flopped license if they didn't think they could pull it off with gusto. Independents aren't in the habit of chucking money away for the sake of it. Lets face it, for the non 2Kad viewing audience these films will carry all the baggage of the Stallone movie. So a new production company  aren't going to take on the Dredd license if they didn't feel pretty confident of winning back the audience. I can't wait to see the results.