Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Just back from seeing it for the second time and I really enjoyed it this time. Midnight screenings are a slog after a days work but I don't trust myself to avoid spoilers!

I really, really liked young Alden's performance and he really grows into Han Snr as the movie progresses, he has Ford's mannerisms off to a tee. Lando is glorious, in fact, all the characters are ('cept that droid.)

SIP

I think he did a fantastic job, and not an easy set of boots to fill.

The droid is the bad point.... but thankfully not in it enough to drag proceedings down too much.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Pete Wells on 01 June, 2018, 09:33:17 PMLando is glorious, in fact, all the characters are ('cept that droid.)

Bad character but the [spoiler]prison riot[/spoiler] is hilarious.

Colin Zeal

As much as I like Star Wars i don't think I have seen any of the films more than once at the cinema. I haven't been to see Solo yet which is because my partner has broken her leg and can't go. She loves these films and I don't want to see Solo without her but I think that if I had liked last Jedi more I would happily seen Solo solo.

shaolin_monkey

I don't get the hate for the droid! I thought it was a cool character, and worked well with the general feel of the film. I maybe would have liked to have seen more, but it was worth it just for [spoiler]the robot freedom scene in Kessel. Lando's reaction when it was blown to bits had more pathos than when Han shot Woody[/spoiler] later on.

Spoliers added to protect those who've not seen it...

sheridan

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 01 June, 2018, 11:43:47 PM
As much as I like Star Wars i don't think I have seen any of the films more than once at the cinema. I haven't been to see Solo yet which is because my partner has broken her leg and can't go. She loves these films and I don't want to see Solo without her but I think that if I had liked last Jedi more I would happily seen Solo solo.

Last time I had a broken leg I got to see the film in the wheelchair area, which was well-placed in the layout!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 02 June, 2018, 10:46:09 AM
Last time I had a broken leg I got to see the film in the wheelchair area, which was well-placed in the layout!

I think the film in question was World's End, starring the voice of Johnny Alpha :)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 01 June, 2018, 11:43:47 PM
I think that if I had liked last Jedi more I would happily seen Solo solo.

I'll confess that this is one of the objections I understand least. This is a Star Wars film that doesn't relate to the the plot of TLJ in any way, shares none of the same actors, directors or writers, and is co-written by the guy who wrote Empire Strikes Back. If there was one Star Wars film I thought people would want to go and see after being disappointed by TLJ, it's this one...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Well, I saw it yesterday, and thought it's quite possibly my favourite of them all. It was exactly the Star Wars film I wanted to see, and have done since Marvel chose to follow the adventures of Han and Chewie after their initial adaptation ended forty years ago.

As a kid, I always preferred Han to Luke, and Star Wars for me was more about the adventure in a grimy universe than it ever was about jedis and The Force. So this ticked all my boxes.

My only niggle involves [spoiler]the obviously-aged and chubby Ray Park doing Maul, with a comedy voice and needless pansying about with the lightsabre, to set up a sequel we will now likely never get thanks to internet twats.[/spoiler]

All in all, my filmic highlight of the year.

SBT

Mattofthespurs

If they had a big blue rabbit in it and re-made the Magnificent Seven I would have been so on board with this.
As it is, despite having a Cineworld unlimited card, I can't be arsed to see it again.

Maybe on blu ray.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 June, 2018, 12:48:53 PMIf there was one Star Wars film I thought people would want to go and see after being disappointed by TLJ, it's this one...!

But Kathleen Kennedy!  SJWs!!  FEEE-MALES!!!

(Plus TLJ ruined ALL OF STAR WARS FOREVER.  Except for Revenge of the Sith - did you see the bit where Anakin got all sliced up and burned alive and squealed "I HATE YOU!" at his best bro - that was SOOO dark - and meanwhile the only woman in it had been strangled and was dying from childbirth or an excess of emotions or something: that's MY Star Wars.)

(This is (surely obviously) not directed at ColinZeal BTW, each their own).

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 June, 2018, 06:02:44 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 June, 2018, 12:48:53 PMIf there was one Star Wars film I thought people would want to go and see after being disappointed by TLJ, it's this one...!

But Kathleen Kennedy!  SJWs!!  FEEE-MALES!!!

(Plus TLJ ruined ALL OF STAR WARS FOREVER.  Except for Revenge of the Sith - did you see the bit where Anakin got all sliced up and burned alive and squealed "I HATE YOU!" at his best bro - that was SOOO dark - and meanwhile the only woman in it had been strangled and was dying from childbirth or an excess of emotions or something: that's MY Star Wars.)

(This is (surely obviously) not directed at ColinZeal BTW, each their own).

Mental note : must resist all temptation to post a picture of my shiny new "Revenge Of The Sith" Hot Toys Anakin Skywalker.
;)

JLC

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 02 June, 2018, 08:45:16 PM
Mental note : must resist all temptation to post a picture of my shiny new "Revenge Of The Sith" Hot Toys Anakin Skywalker.
;)

Oh don't get me wrong, I love 'em. I l love 'em all. And not just the Prequels, the Sequels and the cartoons too. I'm not the critic i should be.  (And I watch them endlessly).

In RotS, the starship crash, the Utapau battle, the idea of Darth Plagueis, Palpatine's office bas-relief, the whole Order 66 sequence, and especially the musical interlude where Anakin decides to disobey Windu... hell the music in general: these are pretty much perfect in my book. Lucas is one of the all time greats in my book, for his uncompromising visual sense if nothing else.

I do find bits of them almost unwatchable, but I don't let that stop me. Once I started down that dark path, forever has it dominated my destiny.

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 June, 2018, 11:52:18 PM
Quote from: SIP on 02 June, 2018, 08:45:16 PM
;)

Oh don't get me wrong, I love 'em. I l love 'em all. And not just the Prequels, the Sequels and the cartoons too. I'm not the critic i should be.  (And I watch them endlessly).

In RotS, the starship crash, the Utapau battle, the idea of Darth Plagueis, Palpatine's office bas-relief, the whole Order 66 sequence, and especially the musical interlude where Anakin decides to disobey Windu... hell the music in general: these are pretty much perfect in my book. Lucas is one of the all time greats in my book, for his uncompromising visual sense if nothing else.

I do find bits of them almost unwatchable, but I don't let that stop me. Once I started down that dark path, forever has it dominated my destiny.

I completely agree with you.....some of it really is unwatchable. So much creative genius, so many great ideas packed in there from so many talented people, but so many problems and flaws too! I've enjoyed the whole ride, and I'm not quite ready to get off just yet (I genuinely hope I never feel compelled to).