Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Locke and Key is GREAT. I think I own most in digital form (I say 'own'... comixology...)

Dandontdare

Yeah, I bought the full set from IndigoPrime and it's a cracking series.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 May, 2017, 05:29:29 PM
Just finished the first trade of Locke and Key which I've picked up all the issues digitally in some sales or other (6 volumes is the entire story right?). While I'm not too fussed with the art, its servicable and doesn't detract from what's a gripping, absolutely gripping story.

Wonderful comics.

Good man Colin, even with your legendary back-log you couldn't avoid this forever.

It really is wonderful comics. Hill fundamentally 'gets it'.
I grew to appreciate Gabriel Rodriguez' artwork with each passing arc, and I don't doubt you will too- he's fantastic.

Apart from the main arcs there are a few one-shots & specials to look out for, the most recent of which ('Small World') was published last Christmas.
No doubt there are more to come.

The Adventurer

I tried to get into Locke and Key, but the second volume just didn't do anything for me and I never progressed further.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mardroid

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 May, 2017, 03:49:27 PM
Apart from the main arcs there are a few one-shots & specials to look out for, the most recent of which ('Small World') was published last Christmas.
No doubt there are more to come.

Ooh! I missed that one! Thanks for the heads up!

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Trying to find a way to stop time so I can get through Jerusalem. It feels like no matter how much I read I'm no closer to finishing it that when I started. It's great but if I want to finish it by Christmas I'm gonna have to put my life on hold.

Theblazeuk

I loved Rodriguez's art on Locke & Key. Particularly as, lets say, certain doors were opened.

positronic

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 May, 2017, 04:08:54 PM
Quote from: positronic on 15 May, 2017, 08:22:46 AM
I don't know about the Richard Bachman book The Running Man, but I always thought that the movie version fit perfectly with the sensibilities of a 2000 AD strip.

The Running Man and its execution of the death by game-show idea is predated by the much better, more prescient 1970 German film Das Millionenspiel / The Millions Game, adapted from the 1958 story The Prize of Peril by Robert Sheckley. It was adapted again in 1983 as Le Prix du Danger in France. Das Millionenspiel also predates RoboCop by intercutting action with ad breaks and vox pops.

Hmm... it sounds reminiscent of Sheckley's own earlier 1953 story "The Seventh Victim" (itself adapted into a 1965 film, The 10th Victim, starring Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress). I can't recall now if television played that big a role in the earlier story, although it seems clear to me that Robocop (1987) was influenced by the role of media played in Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns released just a year earlier (and, obviously, Judge Dredd).

The specific concept that fascinated me about The Running Man (the movie, anyway) was the idea of convicted criminals being used (ala Roman gladiatorial games) in a reality-TV series in which they had personas similar to professional wrestlers (and were portrayed by them in the film), which oddly enough prefigured American Gladiators, a reality-TV game show with a remarkably similar concept (apart from the convicted criminals part), by a couple of years.

It seems unlikely that The Running Man could have been influenced by Robocop, a film that was released only four months earlier, while Das Millionspiel, a TV-movie that was only broadcast twice in 1970 in West Germany, seems too obscure a film. It was pulled from broadcast due to discovering that the film producers did not actually have the rights (the story had been optioned earlier by another producer) and did not see the light of day again until 2002, when legal rights to the original story were finally licensed.

But back to The Running Man -- the idea of the film was that in 2017(!), the U.S. was a militarized police state that had sealed its borders and suppressed resistance to the government by total control of the media, with "The Running Man" game show used as a kind of "bread and circuses" to lull the masses. The colorful pro-wrestling characters reminded me of comic-book types, and the whole thing just seemed satirical enough to have fit into the pages of 2000AD.

Smith

You talent for saying so much,yet so little,astounds me every time.You should go into politics,mate.

Hawkmumbler

The 10th Victim is a nice little movie....that is all I have to say!

Rately

Just finished up The Vision by Tom King and Gabriel Walta.

Just an amazing bit of storytelling by the whole team. I'm not a particlularly big fan of Marvel comics, but if the rest of them were half as good as this, as heartfelt and devastating, i'd be converted.

Lovely understated art, brilliant colouring and some beautiful comedic moments as well as a robot dog you will love.

I picked both volumes up on Kindle for £3.60 in total, so you may best get a move on and pick it up.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: positronic on 02 June, 2017, 09:09:12 AM
it seems clear to me that Robocop (1987) was influenced by the role of media played in Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns released just a year earlier

The news/media breaks and adverts that interject and inform RoboCop's story were more likely taken from the frequent and integral FasFax segments in Howard Chaykin's satire American Flagg - a comic that heavily influenced the tone and corporate ownership theme/plot of the film (Howard Chaykin gets a thank you in the end-credits) and was first published in 1983. It also features a Robot Cop as a supporting character. The Corporate Wars

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Flagg!

JOE SOAP

The writers of RoboCop continued to mine the same sources for their unmade sequel.

Dark Jimbo

Decided to break up my Discworld read with something a bit different - so it's goodbye Ankh-Morpork and hello to the oldest and most disreputable of fantasy cities, a place of hustlers, rogues and thieves run by the various competing guilds and a scheming, machiavellan overlord... It's The Swords of Lankhmar, fifth book of the sellswords Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Besides Holmes/Watson and Aubrey/ Maturin, I don't know if there's as enjoyable and enduring a freindship in all of fiction. This time out a plague of super-intelligent rats menace the ancient city, and it's going to take some libidinous skeleton people, very angry mummies, a troop of War Cats, pint-sized Gray Mouser and dimension-hopping German to curtail it...
Don't know why it took me so long to return to Lankhmar but this was another cracking entry to the series (and surely the inspiration behind Warhammer's Skaven, as well as influencing Pratchett). Warm, funny, irreverent, imaginative and pacy, this is everything you could want from a Sword and Sourcery romp.

And then it's back to Discworld proper with Faust Eric. Coming after Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids and Guards!Guards! this feels a bit of a throwback to a less refined and decidedly more knockabout Pratchett, but it's by no means bad - just a bit lacking. Fun, frothy and doesn't outstay its welcome. Kirby's rich-as-buttered-toast illustrations add to the expierience a lot - not sure I'd have enjoyed the prose novella half as much. As with Sourcery, it all feels a bit half-arsed towards the end, as if Pratchett just wanted to move on to something else. No wonder Rincewind won't appear for another nine novels.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mikey

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 01 June, 2017, 12:21:42 PM
Trying to find a way to stop time so I can get through Jerusalem. It feels like no matter how much I read I'm no closer to finishing it that when I started. It's great but if I want to finish it by Christmas I'm gonna have to put my life on hold.

I was giving it a good two to three hours a day (plus probably the same amount of digesting time!) and it took me three months. It's incredible. How far into it are you? You can reply in centimetres if you like  :)

I've been reading nothing but comics since I finished Jerusalem in February - just finished the first book of Injection by Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey and it is bloody brilliant! I realise with the first book it's just really started, but what a fantastic introduction to the world and characters with a brilliant core idea.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.