Main Menu

2000AD Film News in The Times !

Started by Marbles, 07 June, 2007, 08:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

I heard someone was interested in Dredger!!

Do Rebellion own that?

SD with Paul McGann (SP?).
RT with Wesley Snipes.

There, it's official!

Mikey

I for one,would not,repeat not want a Nikolai Dante film.I don't even like the fuppin strip!Would it be a good ad for tooth?

Stront=good.
Rogue=possibly,if they do it right.I imagine he wouldn't be blue,but green is ok.

It would be great to see a good Dredd film,however unlikely.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

IndigoPrime

:: Would it be a good ad for tooth?

That's kind of irrelevant. It's not like the millions of people flocking to see Spider-Man movies are actually picking up Spider-Man comics. Although a decent movie might see a small bump in 2000 AD sales, what a successful one should do is give the company a handy cash injection, which, presumably, can be partly invested into the comics and promoting them for more movie translations.

Proudhuff

Pah, you all know nuffink The Winners are...

Pussycat 5 and Zippy Couriers.

Done in the stylee of the New St Trinians

Andwhynot Huff
DDT did a job on me

Buddy

I doubt some of the more obscure comic adaptations (Ghost World) would make much of a difference to sales as the general movie going public probably wouldn't realise it was based on a comic (even though it may say 'based on the comic published by... or whatever in the opening credits).

An idea would be to run an ad or short film before the feature letting the audience know where the source material of the film they are about to see came from.

[YT-2]

Button Man still hasnt got a writer attached to it.

Dunk!

Is John Wagner never approached to adapt his own work?

Or would that just not interest him?
"Trust we"

mechanix81

Red Razors: The movie. Which would be fucking kick ass. or shit. I forget which.
Dawn of the first day. 72 hours remain.

Adrian Bamforth

"An idea would be to run an ad or short film before the feature letting the audience know where the source material of the film they are about to see came from."

Loads of comic book films do do that thing where they show some pages of the comic being flicked through at the beginning (from memory I think Superman, Swamp Thing, Judge Dredd and maybe some of the Marvel ones, wouldn't mind seeing a list actually), as well as the 'based on the comic book by...' in the titles. The message is very clear, though then when people have seen the film many will think there's no reason to read the comic - they've already 'seen' it. For younger age groups especially, seeing the movie is just an easier, quicker way to consume it before the next movie, game or fad  is put in front of them 20 seconds after leaving the cinema.

Peter Wolf

Thats very sad but true.    
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

ukdane

I must be one of the few who really doesn't want 2000ad characters being made into movies all the merchandising will end up costing me a fortune, and the film won't ever be better than the comic.

(I'll probably change my mind in 10 minutes though!)
Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

Peter Wolf

It could be as good as the comic but only if it   is somehow overseen by someone who knows it well and understands it.  whoever financed it would have to understand how  sensitive the subject is and be willing to let a third party  do the quality control unless the director understood it.    Theres about 5 films i would like to see made but only under those conditions.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

VampiraJen

I interviewed the producer of the then forthcoming Sylvester Stallone Judge Dredd film in the early 1990s. At the end of our meeting, when I had switched off the tape recorder, he said: â??Confidentially, none of our scripts work. Can you suggest any writers we should be looking at?â?

What about John Wagner? I suggested. Was he no good?

â??Whoâ??s he?â? asked the producer. My jaw dropped. Wagner is only the person who had invented the character and had written it weekly for the previous two decades!

ha.  yeah...

dante, sinister dexter and buttonman would all make great films.  would dredd, stront and rogue not be a bit too sci-fi to appeal to a wide audience (yes, yes, i know there is sci-fi elements in dante).  make something more down to earth so that it can be a success and then focus on something more sci-fi-y.

VampiraJen

and another thing, it doesn't have to be a big budget film in style of thrity million dollar hollywood summer blockbuster.  something like button man could be done without huge amounts of money and not look crap.  look at reservoir dogs, how much money was that made on?

that imdb page is looking a little...empty