Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slad

Ah ...thanks for that. I wondered what the numbers were.
It's a story I really like, by an artist I really admire... her story sounded legit and I'm ok with a little page yellowing (showing age).
Do people fake these? I didn't think it was mainstream enough for people to fake them.
All these things contributed to me agreeing to pay what she wanted.

I will find out tomorrow  :-\

"Just eat the frog!"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ming on 20 September, 2012, 03:51:10 PM
Anyway, that Starborn Thing page looks legit to me but it's not that easy to judge from that pic.

I think it is. Look at the bottom two speech balloons -- the one furthest right is the same colour as the rest of the page because it's on white space, meaning that Tom could draw the balloon and lettering straight onto the artwork.* The one on the left is whiter than the rest of the page because it's placed over the artwork, meaning that the balloon had to be created on a separate piece of paper (almost certainly a different paper stock) and stuck down onto the art. If it was a bromide, the balloons would all be the same colour as the art because it would all be a single sheet of paper.

Cheers

Jim

*Or, if it is done on a separate piece of paper, it's likely a lighter paper stock, since there's no artwork underneath to bleed through.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spikes

Quote from: Slad on 20 September, 2012, 04:00:59 PM
Ah ...thanks for that. I wondered what the numbers were.
It's a story I really like, by an artist I really admire... her story sounded legit and I'm ok with a little page yellowing (showing age).
Do people fake these? I didn't think it was mainstream enough for people to fake them.
All these things contributed to me agreeing to pay what she wanted.

I will find out tomorrow  :-\

I dont think its a case of faking, its just that sellers can be a bit 'vague' with their descriptions, sometimes.
Still a nice page that - and dont forget to post photos/scans of it, on here, when you get it. 

J3D1

Aye, two sellers that rings true with of late:

This piece.
£1550 cover.

opaque

Slad

No worries.
Even if it's in horrible condition, pics tomorrow night.
"Just eat the frog!"

Fatboydale

simple way of checking is look on the back of the art , it should have the prog number and the reduction size and stamped ....

This still does not mean its original art , could be a stat ( photo reprinted ) ect ....Carlos work is rare with Stat ...

My guess its going be fine .... Bastard i nearly got it , to make me feel better pm your purchase price ...

Slad

Picked it up this morning.... its the real deal alright  :P
It's in great nick.
Pictures tonight.
Dale.... I don't think that info will make you feel better  ;)
"Just eat the frog!"

opaque

No but maybe he could tell the women she could have got a lot more if she'd left it up on Ebay ;)

ming

Keeping a bunch of idiots in suspenders?

hippynumber1

Quote from: Fatboydale on 20 September, 2012, 09:31:56 PM
, to make me feel better pm your purchase price ...

Now, now Dale, you know we don't discuss such things here...  ;)

Spikes

Cant we make this one the exception....

Slad

sorry pics later... at work at the mo.

The full story...
Saw it on eBay, contacted her for clearer pictures. She couldnt be arsed.
I asked her if it was on card or paper.. "Card"
Asked her how much she wanted for it.
Someone had low balled her an offer of £150 (you know who you are  :D )
She said I could have it for £160
Offered £170 to cover recorded/signed for/insured and for it to be posted flat as she wanted to roll it up in a tube.
Jobs a good un  :)
"Just eat the frog!"

J3D1

Gets popcorn and imagines Dales reaction.
Mmmmmmm butter!